Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Stupid Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Stupid Water Pump

I recently changed my water pump. Now, less than 20,000 km later, it's leaking again! I'm pretty sure the leak is from the weep hole.

I got the last water pump from some shady auto parts store, and i don't want to be changing it again in a few months. Any suggestions where i can get a quality pump near the GTA for reasonable $$$ ?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

fill that hole with jb weld lol. worst thing that can happen is it will continue to leak...
Old 06-11-2006, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

How much are new ones?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Teching In

I think I got my last pump for around $200. The guy said it was new, but I bet the POS was rebuilt.

Hmm....$200 pump -VS- $5 tube of JB Weld.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT PLUG THE HOLE. Sorry for caps but thats not a good idea at all. The hole is there to allow the coolant to escape from the bearing. The seal inside that is whats leaking but the bearings aren't designed to work in antifreeze and will fail. What kind of car are we dealing with here? I went through 4 waterpumps on my LT1 tired different brands new and rebuilt didn't matter. I think it was caused from the seals sitting for 6 months every winter. The other major factor is the quality of antifreeze. If you're still using Dexcool its likely gone acidic and is eating away at things. Make sure to flush the entire cooling system with the new pump.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by flame
DO NOT PLUG THE HOLE. Sorry for caps but thats not a good idea at all. The hole is there to allow the coolant to escape from the bearing. The seal inside that is whats leaking but the bearings aren't designed to work in antifreeze and will fail. What kind of car are we dealing with here? I went through 4 waterpumps on my LT1 tired different brands new and rebuilt didn't matter. I think it was caused from the seals sitting for 6 months every winter. The other major factor is the quality of antifreeze. If you're still using Dexcool its likely gone acidic and is eating away at things. Make sure to flush the entire cooling system with the new pump.
HA!...Just kidding about plugging the hole.

I store my car for about 4-5 months a year. Maybe starting it up more often during the winter would prevent the problem? I doubt the coolant has gone bad since it was replaced with the last pump.

Is Dexcool known for corroding parts? Is there any other suggested coolant besides Dexcool?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

I used one of the napa rebuilt ones and It has been on the car for about 4 years now with no problems.I remember it was a bitch to change it(took me about 4 hours )
Old 06-13-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

If you wanted to take a shot a used pump (app. 50,000 miles) I would let you have it for $50.00.
Thanks, Let me know if you are interested
Old 06-18-2006, 02:12 AM
TECH Veteran

sdpc2000.com or try TSP and get a GM waterpump, and save the hassel of screwing with autopart stores.

Quick Reply: Stupid Water Pump