Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

First time Road Trip thru Canada - a couple questions??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Road Trip thru Canada - a couple questions??

In a few weeks I'll be driving the TA through Alberta and part of BC up to Alaska. (50 hours!) I've been to Canada once so I dont really know what to expect when driving through the border number one, but also the roads north of Edmonton. Plan is to go through Calgary and Edmonton west through Whitehorse. How well are the roads maintained? Are they going to give me crap for my car going through the border? (15% tint, slp loudmouth exhaust, !cats, etc) Anything I should be aware of? These are probably pretty stupid questions, I just honestly don't know.

Any general information would help. Thanks for your time guys.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

You don't need to pass a Provincial inspection to visit Alberta man. So you not having cats shouldn't be a problem, just don't rev the beast in front of cops. If they ask about the tint, because tint is illegal in BC/AB just say tint is allowed from whatever state your from.

The roads are fine up to Grand Prairie, and I haven't been any north then that so I couldn't tell you. It's been snowing in Calgary for a few days so the roads r ****, my cars sleeping in the garage.

GL on your trip.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

welcome to the great white north.have a safe and happy trip.
just make sure you keep an eye out for one of these..

drive safely,man.

Last edited by Toronto_LT1; 04-22-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ hahahaha...have a good time and quit worrying about anything man,,,,,you will have less hassle here than u do in your country.....
Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You do not have to worry about Canada, this is not the third world, but you should worry about the Alaska Highway, where your car (any car) will take a beating: it is not paved, gravel mostly, in the springtime, muddy; road surface not always smooth. Watch for road construction, then you drive through a battlefield!!
I know a lot of "regular" (ie not Hummers) do the Highway, but be prepared for chipped windshield and paint (sometimes with rocks flying the size of my fist!)...
It is a beautiful drive anyway.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

dude if you hve radar hide it stupid OPP take my damn radar with out a warning i have texas plate and texas driver Lis
Old 04-26-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ haha...it's called radar detector,detector .welcome to Ontario.where did you get nabbed,on the 401??

he doesn't have to worry about the Ontario Provincial Police out west.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a bra for the front of your car. It will save you north of Alberta. Radar detectors are legal in Alberta and B.C. so don't worry. Loud pipes and tint aren't going to get you in trouble either. At the border just have some serious picture ID (not a Blockbuster card or a Costco card) and don't bring a gun or drugs. They will ask you if you are all American citizens, where you are going, then maybe a couple more questions like have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense?, are you a terrorist?, are those your kids? Don't worry.

The border is run by the Federal government so they don't care much about your car.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Toronto_LT1
^^^ haha...it's called radar detector,detector .welcome to Ontario.where did you get nabbed,on the 401??

he doesn't have to worry about the Ontario Provincial Police out west.
yeah freaking at 403 and mavis now im waitng for trail go out there and fight get my damn radar back
Old 04-27-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tsench
yeah freaking at 403 and mavis now im waitng for trail go out there and fight get my damn radar back
The detector law is unconstitutional, especially the part where they can search your car, but nobody is willing to pay the $50,000 it will take to get it struck down. Good luck getting your RD back. Next time get one of these:

It's the only option in commie Ontario.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Launching!

FYI, if you want a more scenic route, spend more time driving in B.C. The B.C./Alberta border is literally a line of Rocky Mountains. Driving North through Alberta would be faster compared to B.C., but the scenery isn't as good. B.C.'s Rocky mountains are AMAZING to drive through... I've taken my Formula cross-province three times now, just for ***** 'n giggles.

Oh, and remember... 50 MPH = 80 KMH -- Lots of Americans get busted on our highways here in B.C. for speeding! Use the small numbers on the inside of your speedo!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

I live in Grande Prairie and the roads are fine for my T/A. Been as far as vancouver and it was all good.
The Alaskian Hiway isn't all gravel either.
Sure parts maybe gravel, but just slow it down in those spots.
Watch your speeds when getting closer to towns/cities as fbodies turn a lot of heads... even the cops. Keep the RPMs low around them and the speeds to around +10km/h over the speed limit on the hi-way and you shouldn't have any trouble, but the foriegn plate might make you a target in BC.

Boarder should be a cake walk as Speedy mentioned. Just comoperate and try to refrain from saying "I keeeel youuuuuu!!"
Old 05-02-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsench
wow, thats literally 5mins from my place and i NEVER really see the OPP on the 403, usually the 401/400.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
^^^ hahahaha...have a good time and quit worrying about anything man,,,,,you will have less hassle here than u do in your country.....
I wouldn't say thats true. I have more hassle coming back at times than going to the US. Bad border guards. I have had one bad on the US side(extremly old man) to about 4 French Canadian border guards.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be prepared to pay a lot for gas. You'll find it hard to find anything under $4.80 / gallon.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Regular

so how was it? did you made it to alaska?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL.