Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Mail order tune via pcm swap?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mail order tune via pcm swap?

I'm thinking of going with a mail order tune, but don't really want to send my pcm out and not be able to drive my car during the few nice summer days that we do have.

So I was wondering if I could get a way with buying a used pcm and having it re-flashed?
I don't have a laptop, so I wouldn't really have a way to install the tune myself, so would this is a easy work around?

If so, what years and models of vehicles would have a suitable pcm for the car in my sig?

And of course, does anyone have a spare kicking around?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a mail order you can go to pcmforless...they will send you a pcm and after you get the new pcm you can send your core back...however looking at your mods on your list there I would not reccomend a mail order tune...Mail orders usually suck when you need to tune for cams and heads...its like a hit and miss.

Best thing to do would be to get a local tuner to get you going, or buy hp tuners and do it yourself (but you said you dont have a laptop)
Old 06-17-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Rede..local lt1 buddy has mail order tuning.It does pretty much suck. the tuner can just not do that great a job not being physically there to check wideband,maybe tune on the dyno and adjust for local octane,altitude and it can get expensive and annoying sending it back and forth. If a person lives way out there with no tuners than guess its only option and there are very few obd1 lt1 tuners in Regina.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

if you cant find a local tunner you would honestly IMO be better off picking up a cheapo laptop and Hp Tuners, becoming familiar with it, and doing things yourself.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

I have a tuned based off of a HP Tuner file from someone in the states running the same cam and some stage 2 Patriot heads. I had a friend tune it using that base, but he's never tuned an fbody before and trying to bug him for little things is a pain.

I get the "cruise control" feeling at 60+km/h when I let off the gas in 3rd or drive (car will maintain that speed for blocks), engine surges at times when idling like at stop lights and sometimes stalls, top end of 2nd needs tweaking as is breaks up a bit and I start to slow down and I need to delete the air pump because its throwing a code as well.

I would eventually like to be able to do my own tweaking, but its not in my pocket book this year, next year might not look so hot either. heh.

I still managed to pull off a 12.51 @ 111.11mph dispite nailing tune the tune.

So for right now I'd like to find just a pcm, blank or not. That way I can save my stock one and send that second one back and forth if I need changes.
Planning on coaxing CK into tuning it.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Dont go to the dealer what ever you do...I guess just keep your eyes open for a 2001 pcm then...not sure which years you can use...dont quote me but I believe 98-02 are ok...not 100% sure though, maybe someone else will chime in.

all I know is I have a 96, and only pcm I can use is a 97 lol....good luck bro
Old 06-18-2008, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

No worries. I only goto the dealership if I reallly have to. Last time was for a crank bolt in the spring.

I see you have a 3.8L in your camaro.. have you checked out the usual places like intense-racing, zzp, ect... for upgrades?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rede
No worries. I only goto the dealership if I reallly have to. Last time was for a crank bolt in the spring.

I see you have a 3.8L in your camaro.. have you checked out the usual places like intense-racing, zzp, ect... for upgrades?
yea, bought a few things off of those sites...just kinda laying low right now until I can figure out what exactly I wanna do and if in fact I want to go ahead with the head/cam package I was thinking about earlier...these gas prices have me wondering how long I can keep the car on the road while trying to go to school at the same time
Old 06-20-2008, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

I talked for almost an hour with the owner of 3800performance.com over the phone about the CarTuning tubro kit. +150whp over stock AND if you drive at the speed limit, you can get an extra 100kms on your tank!
Well that would have been the case for my '04 Grand Prix GT2, but I did the Firebird mod instead.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Regular

I talked for almost an hour with the owner of 3800performance.com over the phone about the CarTuning tubro kit. +150whp over stock AND if you drive at the speed limit, you can get an extra 100kms on your tank!
Well that would have been the case for my '04 Grand Prix GT2, but I did the Firebird mod instead.
Haha good choice...I'm still debating, I want the new camaro a few years after it comes out, but I still love the camaro I have now...I dunno, there are quiet a few options when modding a 6, but nowhere near the market for the 8's

haha and thats the catch...if you drive at the speed limit....after adding 150whp to your car how often are you going to drive at the limit lol? But yea for the most part turbo's are supposed to add gas milage to your car if you drive properly.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

The test mule for that kit was a leased grand prix, so he made the kit 100% bolt on.
He raced it, smoked numerous tires and even did some neutral drops just to see how it would hold. At the end of the term, he had to replace the tires, touch up some rock chips and replace the windshield. That was pretty much it.
I believe it was 4500 complete with the larger turbo and he suggested the slightly higher ratio rockers and springs. Install time was 6 to 8 hours, so easily a weekend project.
ZZP or intense had M90 factory supercharger kits for the 3.8L n/a motors for 2200 as well...
Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

The test mule for that kit was a leased grand prix, so he made the kit 100% bolt on.
He raced it, smoked numerous tires and even did some neutral drops just to see how it would hold. At the end of the term, he had to replace the tires, touch up some rock chips and replace the windshield. That was pretty much it.
I believe it was 4500 complete with the larger turbo and he suggested the slightly higher ratio rockers and springs. Install time was 6 to 8 hours, so easily a weekend project.
ZZP or intense had M90 factory supercharger kits for the 3.8L n/a motors for 2200 as well...
hmm not bad...the m90's dont fit us unless you do some MAJOR modification which is not worth it when you can get something better...major reason being the 3800 in the grand prixs are mounted sideways, were as were mounted laterally.

There is a guy by the name of Tim king...I think he is with intense racing...he holds our record right now hitting 8's with a Twin Turboed 3800 firebird.

Search this Thread