Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Possible strip at downsview? (Ont.)

Old 09-29-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible strip at downsview? (Ont.)

I was just watching a Global News "special report" on street racing (ricetastic) and they cited that they are possibly going to build a track at downsview park. Anybody have anymore info on this, because it would sure help with the not driving 200+ KM to Grand bend or Cayuga.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

I saw a preview for a story about how street racers are polluting our cities! Was this the story? Unfortunately I didnt get to see it, but its likely better that way. A new track would rock. There is nothing even close to central Ontario (Collingwood/Barrie)
Old 09-29-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

havent they been talking about that for awhile....I doubt it will happen, I am sure there is some bylaw that prohibts it....
Old 09-29-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

it would be so cool if they actually build a 1/4 mile/road course track in TO.

Last edited by Toronto_LT1; 09-30-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it'll never happen, only reason any of the other tracks are around is because they are protected by the grandfather clause (there before the homes). Plus there will be petition after petition over "noise, speeding, etc" whatever it takes to shut it down. They don't want to enable the car enthusiest they would prefer you pick up the crack pipe and join a gang.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

I work next door to Downsview and it would make perfect sence. There are hardly any houses around, lots of factories, TTC yard and Bombardier is right there also and they use the landing strip all the time to test out there planes. I saw last week a fighter plane take off from the runway at Downsview....talk about noise!!!! Downsview is a backup for Toronto internation in emergencies and they do have some Solo events happening there also so it would be great idea but we will have to see.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Its funny how they want 'street racers' to take it to the track, then the cops sit down the road from the track and lay charges for anything and everything. People will complain about 'racers' and then protest the contruction of a legal venue.... hah... we will never win!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Never gonna happen and theres a million reasons why but first and foremost is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That land is worth a friggin mint and if anyone tried to make a race track there and even had the HOPE of a viable business plan they would probably have to charge somewhere around $1000.00 per car to race there. Seriously... Think about what the property tax alone would cost let alone the mortgage on the 10 plus acres required. I doubt you could even do it under 20 acres but regardless its just too damn pricey and that too is a huge reason that all the tracks are out in the middle of no where. They will be gone too one day if the population and the land value gets high enough.

Look at what happened to all our drive in theaters? Gonzo tooo much $$$$$$$$$$ to operate and not enough comin in.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

It's a great idea. It has been tossed around for years, but nothing has ever come of it. I think it would be fantastic.

I have heard about a airport in Newfoundland that on the weekend they setup timing equipment and drag race down the tarmac.

It wouldn't have to be a full time race track, just have drag racing events down the runways, at nights or on the weekend. The really fast drag racing cars would still goto IHRA or NHRA tracks like Cayuga. But this would be for street racers to get off the streets. Could use a muffler law to keep the noise down. And a wall could be set up with those temporary concrete barriers.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cam
Never gonna happen and theres a million reasons why but first and foremost is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That land is worth a friggin mint and if anyone tried to make a race track there and even had the HOPE of a viable business plan they would probably have to charge somewhere around $1000.00 per car to race there. Seriously... Think about what the property tax alone would cost let alone the mortgage on the 10 plus acres required. I doubt you could even do it under 20 acres but regardless its just too damn pricey and that too is a huge reason that all the tracks are out in the middle of no where. They will be gone too one day if the population and the land value gets high enough.

Look at what happened to all our drive in theaters? Gonzo tooo much $$$$$$$$$$ to operate and not enough comin in.
maybe the governement can actually do something about street racing instead of pretending all the time, and actually set up some events there for weekends.

I do agree though, will never happen....too many people will get there panties in a knot...I swear the're are way too many people out there who have a full time job that consists mainly of bitching at what other people do....
Old 09-30-2008, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cam

I don't think it'll ever be a permanent type of track... but track days on weekends when not used for other purposes would make sense.

Requirements around mufflers, etc., to keep down noise may also be in effect.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Off topic... but how many of the new street racing charges that have been laid were actually given to people who participated in some sort of a race? Thats a number i'd like to know.

And on a positive note, the airport idea is a great one, because almost all towns have an airport. Noise wouldnt be an issue. Most are in the middle of wide open spaces so the crazies dont hit any trees/people/vehicles
Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeff2380
I have heard about a airport in Newfoundland that on the weekend they setup timing equipment and drag race down the tarmac.
that's actually really popular in the states, they just prep it and set up a porta tree. I remember Fenolin Falls (sp?) was going to set up a "street drag" with barriers and what not, but they couldn't get insurance for the event so no go.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jeff2380
It's a great idea. It has been tossed around for years, but nothing has ever come of it. I think it would be fantastic.

It wouldn't have to be a full time race track, just have drag racing events down the runways, at nights or on the weekend. The really fast drag racing cars would still goto IHRA or NHRA tracks like Cayuga. But this would be for street racers to get off the streets. Could use a muffler law to keep the noise down. And a wall could be set up with those temporary concrete barriers.

That's Clarenville dragway...my home track (that and Argentia back in the early 90s)

Check this out (That's me talking about beating on your car)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xlQITA0h_g

Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I heard talk quite a few years ago that there was space at Mosport to put a 1/4 mile track, and I agree . Only problem is, it's not exactly flat, level ground, but it's nothing that a few bulldozers couldn't take care of, and I'm sure if they had to do some excavating, they could build some good "natural" walls to block the noise . That's my vote. Except I don't think it'll happen either .

How long does a proper drag strip have to be anyway, probably about ~1/2 mile long??
Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one at mosport would be awesome if you wanted a good track day, throw your car round the corners (my buddy an instuctor still refuses to go wide open in the second turn cause it scares the **** outta him) and then take it down the quarter. Hell have an AutoX setup on the parking lot and your good.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
I

How long does a proper drag strip have to be anyway, probably about ~1/2 mile long??
At least that long. I think if there would be any chance of top fuel dragsters running there, or anything that hits over 300 mph, you'd definitely want it to be a little bit more than a half mile long.

Search this Thread