Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Cowl Clearence + Carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cowl Clearence + Carb

Well im starting to get concerned that when I get my Car back from the paint shop of clearence with my carb & aircleaner setup, As of now the Proform low profile air cleaner I have with a 2" Filter is barely rubbing where the cowl crest down, I plan on using a 1" spray plate so I know thats gonna raise the aircleaner abit. I have one of the Edelbrock foam triangle filter but I never really liked those, I was looking at the Spectra ( http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.98599 ) If not I was hoping for some other ideas or pics of some custom set ups? I dont wanna change hoods which right now is a Goodmark 2 1/2inch cowl.
It hits just a hair where "CHEVROLET" is on the aircleaner.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Well im starting to get concerned that when I get my Car back from the paint shop of clearence with my carb & aircleaner setup, As of now the Proform low profile air cleaner I have with a 2" Filter is barely rubbing where the cowl crest down, I plan on using a 1" spray plate so I know thats gonna raise the aircleaner abit. I have one of the Edelbrock foam triangle filter but I never really liked those, I was looking at the Spectra ( http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.98599 ) If not I was hoping for some other ideas or pics of some custom set ups? I dont wanna change hoods which right now is a Goodmark 2 1/2inch cowl.
It hits just a hair where "CHEVROLET" is on the aircleaner.

idk there might not be any way you can run a plate and any other cleaner with out any more interference. if its that close alredy. maybe the edelbrock will with the plate work. but i dont like the way those cleaners look also
Old 09-28-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea I had a 70 340 Dart Swinger couple years back with one of those aircleaners and had a carb backfire and a nice fire going thanks to that foam filter I was thinking of making a aluminum plate with foam around it to kinda seal against the cowl hood when it closes and have some sort of breathable foam towards the cowl opening but not sure how to do it
Old 09-28-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

they sell those in jegs and summit like a diy kit.
that would probably work best. as long it seals correct to the hood and ther is minimal debris and dust entering the engine bay thru that area.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

I kinda looked at a kit like that but my issue is the foam....looks thick and dense like weatherstrip foam. Plus what kind of filter would I use against the cowl opening?

I was thinking somethng like this but you can't find it locally and returning it would be a hassle

Old 09-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Launching!

I had hood clearance issues also with my foam edelbrock elite low profile air cleaner. Even after cutting it shorter it did not fit. So what i did was buy a K&N x-stream lid with there shortest filter I believe it was 1.32 inch. I now have about an inch or more of hood clearance. I have pictures of the setup in my gallery feel free to take a look.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

C3 owners... L88 Ecklers Hood with drop base and RPM manifold. That works.

Quick Reply: Cowl Clearence + Carb