Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

New Mallorey FireStorm ignition?

Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default New Mallorey FireStorm ignition?

I was just flipping through my latest summit cataloge, and I see this Mallory Firestorm LS ignition. From the breif discription in the book, it looks pretty good, even has 21st century usb cable technology, lol
Anyone have any real info on this thing? mallory pt # 69050s, 69100s, there is NOTHING online at mallory's site?????
there are also 2 race aplications listed but no details?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious about this ignition myself.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the Mallory Data Sheet:

http://prestoliteweb.com/npds/2011/m...50S_69100S.pdf
Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What the h%ll is a "60-2" reluctor ? ? ?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe it means sixty minus two (58 tooth reluctor). My best guess anyway. I wonder who's selling these right now?

Edit: Duh! SummitRacing.

I also see the Racing model has data acquisition while the street model doesn't.

Last edited by team39763; 10-29-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mallory Ignition Sucks...the end
Old 10-30-2011, 08:11 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Did not like the price, but i noticed these the other day and want more details. There are some decent features, but i am not going to stop using MSD equipment any time soon to try that stuff.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

you guys should dyno some stuff before making ignorant coments "like this ignition sucks"
MSD stuff breaks just as much as anything out there
Also everyone has been waiting for a cost effective igntion for ls engines with data logging and individula timing control and when one comes out,people are already complaining about it even though NOBODY even has tried one yet!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crossbreed383
you guys should dyno some stuff before making ignorant coments "like this ignition sucks"
Also everyone has been waiting for a cost effective igntion for ls engines with data logging and individula timing control and when one comes out,people are already complaining about it even though NOBODY even has tried one yet!
X2 Well Said
Old 10-30-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having used mallory ignition products in the past with terrible results and worse customer service, my opinion of the company as a whole stands, regardless of your thoughts on my statement.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:31 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Calm down, everyone has opinions about products, ect, and not everyone will like it or agree. But with the lack of data on the new product, we do not know. It might shine and be a great piece for those looking for more, or just be over priced. Time will tell.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Calm down, everyone has opinions about products, ect, and not everyone will like it or agree. But with the lack of data on the new product, we do not know. It might shine and be a great piece for those looking for more, or just be over priced. Time will tell.

I am very calm
But if i had a dollar from every person on here who asks about stuff on a Monday and is a expert on the same topic onTuesday, id have a 8 sec car instead of a 9 sec car lol
Like you stated,time will tell how this NEW product NOONE has used or SEEN yet, will work, yet opinions are there
some should listen and watch more instead of commenting blindly
There seems to be a rash of that around this place
Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Mallory Ign.

Glad to see some competition in the LS ignition control market! Competiton mean development and that means better products for the consumer.

Dynamic tuning capability would be pretty sweet, but I did see on the spec sheet that the foot print on this thing is 15.4"Wide X 9.75" Tall X 6.25" Deep. That seems massive compared to the MSD box isn't it? You wouldn't be manifold mounting that beef cake! HHMM, perhaps the measurements are in Centimeters, that would be a little more proportional!

Hope some one picks one up soon!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Launching!

would like to hear someone who has one's feedback on this...
Old 10-30-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am very calm
But if i had a dollar from every person on here who asks about stuff on a Monday and is a expert on the same topic onTuesday, id have a 8 sec car instead of a 9 sec car lol
Like you stated,time will tell how this NEW product NOONE has used or SEEN yet, will work, yet opinions are there
some should listen and watch more instead of commenting blindly
There seems to be a rash of that around this place
since when have i asked a question on one day, and been an expert by the next? seems i'm not the only one throwing "ignorant" posts around...
Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum
since when have i asked a question on one day, and been an expert by the next? seems i'm not the only one throwing "ignorant" posts around...
I dont remember using anyones specific name
Just in general is all i'm saying
But saying something sucks before youve ever even seen it in use for YOURSELF (because you know that story about my buddys one friend ,that one time said he used it ,and it didnt work,because some poeople cant get the light to come in the fridge, let alone the one in their head, lol)does seem pretty silly to me

Are we a little self conscience?

The bottom line is, as well a job as the msd unit may do,its pretty lame and has a **** ton of room for improvement
Besides,that new carb you bought may like a new stronger igntion box to go along with it

Last edited by crossbreed383; 10-30-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Idk, maybe I misread it but I don't think it works like the 6010 or 6012. Doesn't fire the coils, I think it's something else. But idk. Also not a fan of Mallory ignition products, however there 4309 fpr works excellent
Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont remember using anyones specific name
Just in general is all i'm saying
But saying something sucks before youve ever even seen it in use for YOURSELF (because you know that story about my buddys one friend ,that one time said he used it ,and it didnt work,because some poeople cant get the light to come in the fridge, let alone the one in their head, lol)does seem pretty silly to me

Are we a little self conscience?

The bottom line is, as well a job as the msd unit may do,its pretty lame and has a **** ton of room for improvement
Besides,that new carb you bought may like a new stronger igntion box to go along with it
while i agree that the msd ignition can be improved upon, like having a step retard as a function of time instead of a function of rpm being one thing i could really use, along with data logging capabilities would be nice too.

however, my opinion of them is not based on some redneck's experience. it's based on my own. i had one of their boxes when i had a gen I motor in the car. bought the distributor and coil they recommended too. spent a whole afternoon putting it in the car, following the instructions to the letter. when i experienced problems within 3 miles of driving the car, i checked and rechecked everything on the install, and in the instructions. after much scrutiny, i opted to call their tech line. i was met with sarcasm and belittlement. after much patience, and entertaining the guys ideas, trying everything he told me, i finally told the guy he was full of **** and took my entire ignition system off and took it back. after that bad experience, i'm not currently interested in entertaining the idea of using their ignition products any time soon.

my opinion stands: Mallory Ignition is the suck!

what i'm hoping comes from this is that msd will see the new system, and try to make something a little more expandable themselves. i'd really like to see some of the features of the 7531 in a box for an ls1 w/ coils. i'd also like to see more reliability above 8000 rpm. i don't particularly want to drop the coil on a distributor setup.

msd's tech dept is much easier to deal with in my experience too.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Does all the step rev limits have to be adjusted by chips, usb, or dials?. Can find anything on it. Sounds like it all needs to be adjusted by usb connection.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Called and spoke to Mallory today
Box is meant to be used in stand alone mode ,but has no harness available yet
There is suppose to be a plug and play harness offered in near future i was told
So there you have it
Let the hating begin lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Mallorey FireStorm ignition?