Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Looking for input on proven carb'd LY6 combinations

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for input on proven carb'd LY6 combinations

I am getting my LY6 today and want to start gathering my parts for the build. This is going in a 72 Chevelle and I am not looking for a maximum effort race car. Just a quick fun car that I can start introducing my daughter to building and enjoying cars with. I have built many cars from stock to top fuel. I want to do this one right the 1st time and not look back. I am using the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) path to this build to make sure it actually gets finished.

I have:
72 Chevelle
2007 LY6 w/ 80k miles
Edelbrock Vic Jr.
2004r built with ~3200ish stall
Aeromotive Stealth 20 cell with built in A1000

I need suggestions on:
Which Holley carb
Cam and springs (I do not want to have to cut pistons or remove the heads)
Headers (want quality and fit)
Oil pan (not going to hang way below cross member)
Anything else I may be forgetting

I plan on getting the msd 6012.

I appreciate the help and you guys sharing your wealth of information.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Launching!

This is subjective. But look at https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-s-inside.html Very nice and fast setup!

I am going milder for my ly6 setup in my 68 nova.

770cfm VS carb (This is a little on the low side with I should have went with a 850 or 950 HP carb)

Get a Cam spec'd from Geoff @ EPS or Patrick G. and I am sure you will be happy.

This is an interesting article to give you the idea of difference in engine HP with cams and also difference between Carb and EFI.

What are your HP expectations? Using the stock ly6 cam went 12's in the 1/4 for 3pedals, your car is heavier so would be a bit slower.... But a car in the 13's is faster then you think.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...t/viewall.html

My cam is 222/234 @50 with .59X and .61X lift @ 111+4

I have the autokraft pan, it is very nice!

Headers, can't help you sorry

Cam, springs etc are best left to the pros as said above contact Geoff @ EPS or Patrick G.

Good luck with your project!

Bruce

Last edited by bitterman; 11-02-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Thank you very much. I have been looking at your build a decent amount as it is along the same lines as what I plan to do. As for hp expectations, I guess I would say 450ish+ would be great but I am not playing bench racer or dyno challenges. I want a fun quick reliable car that isnt eating parts regulalrly. I have had maximum effort cars in the past that took more time to maintain than the time I actually drove them. Yes I know sometimes thats the name of the game but that's not my objective with this build.

So
850 hp carb
eps spec'd cam
autokraft pan
Old 11-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Launching!

I'm running a Holley HP Street 750cfm mechanical secondary carb that I'm still tweaking to get a/f dialed in. I was able to use the stock LY6 oil pan on my C15. For headers you might check Dynatech, I got some ceramic 1 7/8" x 3" LT's built for a 2nd gen f-body LSx conversion for $399. My cam is 223/231@.050 and .610/.617 w/112 LSA with the Patriot .650 gold springs w/titanium retainers/locks. It has Trick Flow chromemoly 7.400" p-rods, and I'm using the GMPP dual plane intake. 200-4r w/2200 stall and 315/60-15 MT ET Street D/R's. Mines for the track too (but driven to/from)...... I guess I went a bit conservative with my 1st setup tho.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Well short hold on the build now. Found Over a gallon of water in the engine the salvage yard brought me. Now I get a 66k mile one for the same price.
Would like to get this project going. Any more suggestions?

Quick Reply: Looking for input on proven carb'd LY6 combinations