Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Another LS1 moisture question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another LS1 moisture question

Ive been reading several different things on the LS1 engine and moisture in the oil. Ok here is my situation:

While getting this engine into my Chevelle, chasing ignition problems, and everything else in general with installing the LS1, the PCV system was about the last thing that I have done for some reason. With that in mind, I have been running this engine off and on for about 4 months without the pcv. Once I got the PCV up and running yesterday, I did notice quite a bit of moisture collected in the filler cap with the typical white film. I pulled the dip stick, and the oil is clear, but has a very slight trace of milk. Before everyone tells me that I have a head gasket issue, which is possible, could this be because I haven't driven this car yet and really gotten the engine up to operating temp? Maybe since the pcv was not working, each of my 5 min runs has built enough moisture into the oil that it is contaminated? Just some thoughts. If I could post pictures from my phone I would, but I don't believe I can. Thanks for any comments
Old 02-05-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What you are describing is pretty common with condensation issues. Mobil 1 rates their oil as being good for so many miles or 6 months, whichever is less. Like you said you aren't getting the engine hot enough to cook all the dew out of the oil.

Just change out the oil before you drive it for real.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man. It probably has a total of 2 hours run time in the last 4 months or so and a couple of drives up the road for less then a mile. When I got the engine, I did remove the heads to inspect it. Used the newer multi shim layer head gaskets, and new GM bolts. I spent a full day cleaning the block and head surface with a brass wire wheel and touched it up with a block and 800 grit sand paper, then cleaned with brake clean prior to re assembly. I used cheap oil, and a GM filter with intention of changing the oil about now and I did plan on using Mobile 1 full syn
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Teching In

A lot of people have trouble with their boats like this. Never get hot enough to evap the moisture out.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

Gotcha. Yeah, I haven't even really gotten mine up to temp, let alone sustain that temp for longer periods of time
Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Drained the oil tonight. It was kind of transparent grayish brown in color. Not thick and foamy/lumpy. Viscosity didn't seem to change any. It did have a bad smell of gas. My other carb was way fat on the idle circuit, so I bought a new QFT 750 slayer carb to try. The plugs are fouled again so the agenda for tomorrow is fresh oil and filter, new plugs, and some fresh fuel. Kind of has me wondering???

Quick Reply: Another LS1 moisture question