Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Efi vs carburetor .....who deliver more power?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Efi vs carburetor .....who deliver more power?

I still wonder ir there any gain or lost or power betwen efi and carb.....
I know theres is a lost on eficienci

I learn that whit the intake lost torque....tks budy!!!!

Also lost on hp's?????
Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

A Performer RPM usually is damn good on keeping torque up, compared to EFI, it is close, but the careb usually makes more power, max power being a concern, the carb with big single plane is usually dominant, then there are factors like what parts are we talking? he newest SV1 carb has proven to make 25+ HP over other carbs out of the box, so the usual 25 HP gain from a carb on a similar setup can be said to go as high as 50 HP on some applications using the nastiest parts, but who has used the nastiest EFI to really compare? Allot of money to compare every detail, but the denser fuel charge of the carb seems to work better for power, generally carbs are cheaper and yes, will make more power when going from a stock LS1 or truck intake by a long shot, probably even a LS6 intake, you have to spend allot more to get EFI where the carb is when we are talking new parts assuming a car is carbed already and doesnt need a new and expensive carb.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old post, but anyone else?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been discussed in multiple threads. there have been a couple of car mag tests where they went back to back carb and EFI with different cams. The carbs not only made more high RPM power, they had more at low RPM too. The EFI only won out in the mid range and even then not by much.

Need to caution that the difference is probably as much due to the intakes as the fuel delivery method.

There is also a link on the Pro Systems site that claims carbs are worth a good 25-30 HP over EFI because of the emulsion effect. Those were pretty highly output motors though.

The loss in efficiency is BS IMO. The numbers just don't bear that out. Properly tuned carbs get MPG similar to EFI. Not so much in cold weather or with changes in altitude.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:46 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with pop n wood, the intake is the big difference. Any oem ls manifold will deliver superior midrange torque, and kill anything above 6600ish rpm. A single plane carb intake will sacrifice some low and midrange torque for gains above 4500rpm comparatively.
I beleive the EFI is superior only if tuned VERY well, but a carb is less expensive and can certainly be tuned to be very effective. It is just more difficult to get it to 100%, but much less expensive.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:00 PM
In-Zane Moderator

If it did not cost so much, efi would be more of a option to many of us. But it's not.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
If it did not cost so much, efi would be more of a option to many of us. But it's not.
I agree. The tunes are the killer for me. I'm the type of person that likes to make changes things all the time lol. So having to have the tune redone every time I make a change gets expensive.

I've been looking at the Holley EFI system, but its pretty pricey. The XP is $1500 but only covers the motor. You can step up to the dominator for another $600 and it controls the transmission as well.

Very nice systems if you haven't checked them out.

I lean towards the Carb setup, but haven't spent much time tuning carbs, and wonder how much that would hurt me. Decisions Decisions lol
Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Thing is man, I have got carbs that were trash tuned and others that worked flawlessly. But that is used. Having a company spec a carb is great. If the tune is not perfect it is in the ball park. Otherwise, a friend that knows his stuff is great to have.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to see a back to back test, being:

Same intake (single plain like a super Vic) to oil pan, only difference, being a carb on top. Of said intake.

I would be happy to run this test, back to back the next time I dyno. But someone is going to have to send me a carb, plum the fuel system and something to plug in to my motor. Heck, if you were local, even better, you can help tune the carb.

Motor is a 418ci 13.5-1cr 254/260 .63x/.62x cam. I am putting a vacuum pump set up on, my ewp back on, porting my super Vic intake.. Last dyno it made 546rwhp through a 5k verter unlocked. Hoping to make closer to 575-600rwhp with the changes.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

i think if your looking to make max hp and worry about efficiency or economy carb is the way to go but if your not strapped for cash msd and fast have leveled the playingfield by making efi less cofusing and simple for the average man to use. and if you are able to step up one of these systems you can add the intake of your choice to get you fuel air mix right will be handled by the handheld and with the new system offered by msd you can also use the aftermarket intakes with larger runners and bigger throttle bodies along with power adders of any sort so at the end of the day carbs are just the cheaper choice not the better one. Your looking at about 1000 to 1200 more by my calculations to go efi and the money you save in fuel will pay that back to you in a years or two depending on how much you drive your car. and you will do so a lot more often when all you have to do is turn the key and go. like in the wifes mini van...lol
Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't speak about max power but my L92 headed carbed 6.0 flys. But I recently am in the middle of switching to efi. I chose megasquirt for my fuel. I will be keeping the 6010 to run my spark. The carb was great, I'm sure it makes more peak hp than injection. But the injection is the future. As far as tunability is why I chose injection after running the carb for three years. Drivability is also important to me. I guess the main reason I'm switching to efi is because I am going to turbo my 6.0 and efi seemed to be the ticket.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Both can be setup to deliver up to the same power levels, I think where carb wins in some cases is not that it's a carb but because of the manifold design and where efi beats carb in cases is in high hp cases where individual fuel delivery is a must.

In most average builds, either works just as well. It's more of a preference thing and IMO efi is just as easy to tune as a carb unless you just don't know how to use a computer or something...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM
In-Zane Moderator

This is the carbed section where the carb is better. Period. Lol.

If you have never bothered to tune and use a carb, or you have need tuned EFI, or done any REAL work in you or others rides, you have zero business in this debate. Too many closet EFI lovers that know nothing about carbs that make idiotic statements and are out of a element they know nothing of.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

^^^^Hope you're not talking about me I'm carbing mine lol
Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM
In-Zane Moderator

No, talking about those that bash carbs, or even efi. If you are learning, first timer, great. Bu bashing either with no hands on experience, just he said she said ect...thats the ones.
The following users liked this post:
Novakane1963 (10-09-2019)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the biggest issue is people want a car that can do EVERYTHING.. get good fuel economy, run quick times, be reliable, etc.. Cheap fast reliable, pick two. Which is easier, swapping a full harness/fuel system to keep fuel injector, or a plug and plug ignition box and 4 bolts for a carb? Do you like to have to adjust for humidity, elevation and temp for every track you go to? No, ok then you need fuel injection as it is more forgiving as it has a maf and map to compensate. Now, what is easier, turning screws, jets and accel pump ramps on a holley carb, or tweaking timing and VE tables on a laptop? It's a matter of preference. I built a street car, 95% street with a few trips to the track. What do I care if its a few tenths slower, as long as its reliable and runs well. Well to someone else, those few tenths are the difference between making money and not.. so what do they care about a few mpg, or "reliability."

I think carbs get a bad wrap because for years, everyone and their brother had pieced together small block chevys and slapped a stock holley on top of it with no tuning other than setting idle and expect them to run 100% perfect.

How many people even know how to read a plug anymore? Carbs just take a little more patience, time and trial and error.

Go with what your more comfortable with and what provides the best bang for the buck while retaining aforementioned comfort.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heck I wasn't bashing a carb. My 750 works great. I can smoke the tires at freeway speeds. I have tuned carbs for 15 years. I just feel that with a turbo efi makes more sense to me at this time. I also want to learn more about efi. So I figured what better way to learn efi than to jump in feet first.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 AM
In-Zane Moderator

By all means. A carb plus a GOOD carb hat, ect for a boosted setup....man, stock hood? Not likely. I was talkin to anyone that fits in to what I described. Just get tired of them. That comment really spurred from a thread on TGO doubting carbs in a thread of mine.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zone are you crying again??
Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

This debate is useless IMO its apples to oranges after a point...

Quick Reply: Efi vs carburetor .....who deliver more power?