Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Oh no, another What size carb? thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its pretty simple. A smaller carb will have better low speed (air speed) throttle response, where in a larger carb will "usually" make more top end power, at the loss of low speed response.

So it goes back to the age old question. Are you building a street car, or a race car. Cause when you try to be everything to everybody, you usually wind up being nothing to nobody. I think Abe Lincoln said that.......................or maybe I just made it up, lol.

Comprimises are everywhere, choose them carefully. Eric L

Last edited by Prorac1; 04-12-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

All of those formulas are great, but real world results are the last word. If given combination has a history of running harder with a bigger carburetor, that is what is going to influence me the most. I will let somebody else philosophize as to why.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Its all in APPLICATION/INTENDED USE guys. You cant just say a bigger/smaller carb is better. A larger carb can run better ET's and make more dyno power and it can also give you more seat of the pants power in some areas, but it doesnt mean it is going to be as responsive on the street or the best all around driving fit. You choose your poison or try to nail the closest of best worlds for your application if you hit the strip alot.

ProRac1, you said it well!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Notalent
Its all in APPLICATION/INTENDED USE guys. You cant just say a bigger/smaller carb is better. A larger carb can run better ET's and make more dyno power and it can also give you more seat of the pants power in some areas, but it doesnt mean it is going to be as responsive on the street or the best all around driving fit. You choose your poison or try to nail the closest of best worlds for your application if you hit the strip alot.

ProRac1, you said it well!
True, leaning your engine out with a carb is just as bad as leaning it out fuel injected, by computer. All good info will need in the future for my carbed lsx
Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep,that is what I was saying.

Quick Reply: Oh no, another What size carb? thread!