Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

on the fence about going carb on my LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on the fence about going carb on my LQ4

ok guys here is the story i have a 69 chevelle that is sitting in my garage right now with a 454/super t-10 trans. i got the motor but didnt have it rebuilt just freshened up the heads. i am a little scared because i dont know much about the older motor. I have an LQ4 sitting in my garage pretty much bear. I have an LQ4 water pump and power steering and bracket just missing the alternator. I dont have an intake or wiring harness and so on to get it running. I looked on here and stock harnesses are pricy! so i am trying to find out the benefits about running my lq4 with the edelbrock intake setup. help me make my choice here.

my goals for the car 99% street car just drive it around with the wife and the kid. I still have my LS1 powered rx7 sitting in the garage and not going anywhere for a long time
ps i have a brand new t56 sitting in the garage as well so i do want to use it for sure thanks a lot
Old 06-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Teching In

I'm running the edelbrock intake with a 750 carb and an MSD 6LS and it is pretty dependable. I don't daily mine or really street it more than once or twice a month but I would have to say if it weren't for my cam the car would prolly be real streetable.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Launching!

thanks a lot the more i am searching the more i am liking the idea. Mine will not have much done to it maybe and i am talking a year or two down the road cam and valves but thats about it for the chevelle. the plan for the chevelle is to take it out at least 2 times a week to go out to shows and take the family out for ice cream
Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go carb get the MSD ignition box and not Edlebrock box. Same internals both made by MSD, but the Edlebrock box deleted the ability to hook a lap top to the thing for custom tunes. You need the lap top hook up. The MSD box comes with a complete harness and is absolutely simple to hook up and tune.

If you buy new a carb, intake and MSD box will run $1500. You can cut that down if you source used stuff, especially the carb. If you haven't done it before you will need carb tuning parts, jets, gaskets, accel cams, maybe some nozzles and a power valve. Stuff can add up if you don't have it, again hitting a swap meet can save big bucks here. A good investment is a wideband O2 sensor to help you dial in a carb right. You can reuse that on other cars so more a tool investment than a car part.

On the up side you can add an electric fuel pump and reuse the rest of the stock fuel system.

As for drivability, been talked about a lot on here and probably won't be a lot different than what you are use to now. One big difference is gas mileage. My 440 HP LS2 car gets the best gas mileage of my three cars. IMO has more to do with the overdrive trans and the roller cam/smaller displacement of the LS motor. EFI guys don't want to admit it but from numbers I have seen posted on line there really isn't a lot of difference in MPG between the two.

Carbs can be more hands on. I had never done one before so it took a while to get it set up just right. But now that it is I don't have to fiddle with it. Car runs smooth, no bogs, lightening fast (only 2500#). Love the look of that big round air cleaner.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Launching!

yeah i have a holley 750 dp brand new i just took it out the box to put on my 454. so i got that. i have not seen any ls1 carb intakes for sale online used yet but i have not searched really hard for it. I am still on the fence on what i want to do but i know i want to use my lq4 and i have my t56 so i know i will have some good MPG
Old 06-05-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found my Edelbrock intake and MSD 6010 controller in the classified section. The guys was going EFI and selling all his parts practically brand new! I got them for $475 for both. So the parts are out there, just have to keep your eyes out and check OFTEN, like 4 times a day! Good luck with the build!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:49 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Ebay has the Vic Jr intakes for just under 300$ ad well as Performers, the ignition controllers are 320-350 on Ebay, otherwise, header selection is your problem, LOL.

I have 3 carbed LS motors, 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0, the 5.3 and 6.0 spin 7200 with a cam swap all day every time i drive them, the 6.o is 3 years strong hitting that RPM, none have ever left me stranded yet.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

What happend to the v8rx7forum??
Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Ebay has the Vic Jr intakes for just under 300$ ad well as Performers, the ignition controllers are 320-350 on Ebay, otherwise, header selection is your problem, LOL.

I have 3 carbed LS motors, 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0, the 5.3 and 6.0 spin 7200 with a cam swap all day every time i drive them, the 6.o is 3 years strong hitting that RPM, none have ever left me stranded yet.
yeah i am searching online the thing is i am seeing the intake manifold on summit for 265 which makes me wonder why they are going for 300 on ebay. as for having the 6.0 running for 3 years that is the kind of stuff i want to hear the more i look the more i want an ls1 carb for the chevelle

Originally Posted by westTEX26
What happend to the v8rx7forum??
it got closed down man the owner was a dick! but we are up and running again go to
www.norotors.com
Old 06-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

I heard threw the grape vine **** went south quick. I'm friends with n2odart..he keeps me uo to date on all the good stuff lol

Good luck on the chevelle! Sounds like you've made up your mind

Quick Reply: on the fence about going carb on my LQ4