Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts
View Poll Results: What light weight platform next?
240-280 Z car
41.18%
Say Fox it all
41.18%
Oter light weigh cheap platform
17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

My next LS carbed swap, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:16 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default My next LS carbed swap, what do you think?

So, it is this far, been my want to do a SBC swap in a 240-280 Z car, but they are not too easy to find and my knowledge lacks of the details, another option i likes was a LS swap in the Fox car, but everyone in Houston Texas has one.

To imagine, dropping my engine in a 2400 pound fox body over my 89 RS that is 3150, and swap to a large converter in a TH350, would just be astonishing, much less a set of ported heads.

So far, the Fox has a sheot ton of aftermarket backing it as i knew, not to mention, headers are cheap and just need LS flanges for SBF headers, i am budget minded so that is great. Also, the Z cars are what turns out, a flimsy piece of tin, i do not want to do much beyond sub frames and roll bar at any point. Call me lazy, but i do things quickly, and tons of fabrication is a large hold up, and the headers selection for the Z sucks ***** and is pricey for anything decent.

So, i may be stuck with a Fox, as is, i have to pass a deal right now that i found locally, that hurts my feelings, would have saved money and time and would have been my first time to buy someone elses started and nearly finished product, a 89 coupe, 6.0, ported 243s, cammed, 3500 converter, TH350, needs a shifter cable and finish wiring EFI(yea right, carb away bitches). Yea....3500$, i would have that thing sitting in my garage right now if i had the cash, but i have child 3 coming and i would not have trouble letting it sit for 5 weeks till i finish the academy to work on it, but life goes on.

Now, if i found a Z car that had all the BS done to the chassis, cool, but in the end, i would not be sure which way i would have been happiest, my goal was 2400 pounds, all motor LQ in the 9s, its been done and i want to do it as well, then a shot of gas for the hell of it.

So, i am taking opinions, Fox car or Z car given the above, seems the Fox is a clear winner, but there are those like myself that rather do something different, a LS swapped third gen in Houston believe it or not is just not that popular, they are here and there, but not often and they do not run like mine hardly ever.

Also, have considered a RX7 and am open to other chassis that can go under 2500 pounds with a LS swap, so let me have opinions, budget is tha game kids, so no porsche bodys, ect, LOL.

Was on HybridZ.org and the search was just not pulling much up for comparison, they swear the info is there, but i did search allot and only got bits and pieces, not enough to compare and contrast many details i am looking for to make better decisions, and when a guy posted some great info for the rear i was wondering about, they moved my thread, so they are basically natzis i assume, no wonder the most recent posts are only a couple, and the rest are a month old and older in the GEN III/IV swap section, hated to seem like a A hole that cannot search, but i was simply short on solid data on may questions.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 PM
In-Zane Moderator

This will be 90% drag, 10% street, FYI.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tis a RHD 70 fairlady z in a junkyard near me. Needs work, but nothin to bad.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Teching In

vega,monza,opel gt,pinto,or maybe some kind of wagon.thats my short list.sounds fun anyway.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 AM
In-Zane Moderator

I need something cheap and readily available, those are usually compete junk of back halted/original and high dollar, great suggestions though.

Also thinking s10. But a older Chevy II? I wish, I hear they are mustang territory all day as far as weight, raytletraps, but I would cry if it got destroyed, such a old classic.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Teching In

why not a chevy luv or a ford courier or a amc spirit or javelin.......

I dig the uglies lol.

I got a s10 blazer due to the awesome weight transfer but really I wanted to find a amc spirit or javelin to be different .
Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

does it have to be some kind of sports car? i've heard of guys getting the 1st gen s10 pickups down to 2500 pretty easily. they also hook like a som bitch with a set of cheap traction bars on street tires. here is black x on his mickey thompson drag radials a few weeks ago. the newer s10 trucks are heavier than the 1st gen pickups. if you're just itching to work on something i have a 1996 s10 in my driveway and a LS2 in the garage. come wrench away! i'll let you drive it once or twice :JEST:

NOT BAD FOR A STREET TIRE: lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDatQ...layer_embedded
Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i will never build a mustang or fox for myself. so i will never vote for a fox

i nomiate a nissan 240sx. light car, ls engine drops right in. looks easier to change plugs and fabricate headers and exhaust for it. they run with ls power.
a few exaples of em here. the rear will prolly be the weakest link.
if its a gonna be a drag car i assume your gonna drop some cash into the driveline.
why not just build a 3rd gen drag car. since you pretty much got it all figured out for the swaps.
you have the 12 bolt alredy. make more power instead of finding a lighter car.
turbo a 5.3 with th400. plenty of room in the bay for a large singe or mid size TT.
when time comes im gonna build a hi hp 3rd gen, like ive always wanted to.
i will get you another one of my new alternator relocation bracket when i get some more in for your new car.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I need something cheap and readily available, those are usually compete junk of back halted/original and high dollar, great suggestions though.

Also thinking s10. But a older Chevy II? I wish, I hear they are mustang territory all day as far as weight, raytletraps, but I would cry if it got destroyed, such a old classic.
Some Monzas had a v8 from the factory. I saw one on Craigslist just a couple of nights ago and the price wasn't bad at all. It would be a good swap, but a lot more work than a Fox car. Everything would have to be custom made.

Here ya go.

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/pts/2952208769.html
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

i cannot vote, but i say fox. light, easy to make hook, tons of parts around. if you do choose to go with a 240sx i have a set of mounts i took the 5.3 out of the 240 i have its goin in a 88 chevy pickup.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I love my Z, but I have had it forever. I haven’t done much strength wise beyond some rust repain and subframe connectors from a place called Bad Dog Parts. You are right about being flimsy pieces of tin. The 240’s are considerably lighter and less strong than the later 280’s. You will be better served starting with a 280. They are heavier, because they are stronger, but they are also cheaper and much easier to find. Arizona or Cali has the greatest number of low rust cars. They don’t rust out there and they were so popular when new that I think 90% of them got sold on the west coast to begin with. Headers are limited but mainly because there just isn’t a lot of room under the car.

I hear you about Hybridz. I had an account there for years with the same screen name I have here. The people running that site are a bunch of constipated ****** while the users seem to be a bunch of yipping lap dogs always barking about “the rules”. That use to be an awesome place to hang out, but they have effectively killed it with their “rules”. Their post count isn’t what it use to be back in the day, but I honestly don’t think they care. The mods openly post that they don’t care if anyone but them posts on that site. For what it is worth they constantly bitch about people posting redundant stuff because they claim it makes the search function less effective. I guess eventually they will just close the site cause it will already have everything they feel is worth posting about a Z car. It will be more of an encyclopedia than BBS by then anyway.

The 240sx does take well to a V8. Rear ends are NOT an issue. Nissan makes some strong *** stuff and the SX’s have some better rear stub axle options than the Z cars. But I just have never liked the SX body style. The car itself was a massive let down when compared to the Z’s. While the Z’s were light and torque, the 240SX is heavy and has a motor better suited to a pick up truck than a sports car. Swap in a pushrod V8 and IMO they become a lot more interesting . They have a good aftermarket, but I imagine it is limited and more expensive than mustangs.

From what I have read of your posts you will be better suited to a solid rear axle mustang car. So one vote from a Datsun guy for a ruststang.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

i dont know if its possible but i say try a fierro. super light and rear wheel drive.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

The 240 sounds like it could be cool. My vote would be for a 95+ s10 or sonoma, they can be had for 500-600 with a junk motor (in my area) and dont usually have the typical rust issues that the 1st gen's had.. Reg cab's are fairly light and easy to work on considering their fully framed and everything can be removed if necessary to make stuff easier. Cost wise the fox is probablly your best bet though just because most can be found with a solid rear where as the s10 might make it down the block.lol

still voting for the s10 though!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Why not chop the weight out of the 3rd gen? Is it your daily driver? That would be cheaper than a whole new project.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

What about something like this?

http://bham.craigslist.org/pts/2937788947.html

Or this

http://bham.craigslist.org/pts/2971809299.html

I don't know anything about them. But I've been eyeing the Vega wagon for awhile.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Zone, What are you looking to spend?
Unfortunately due to financial issues I have to place a halt to my current hobby and sell all but my heads.
Its not the best looking car since I was just going to Drag race it.
Just finished installing a Wolfe CM 10 Pt cage and have a lot of other things that I will sell.
Shoot me a PM if you would like.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by rsteele
why not a chevy luv or a ford courier or a amc spirit or javelin.......

I dig the uglies lol.

I got a s10 blazer due to the awesome weight transfer but really I wanted to find a amc spirit or javelin to be different .
Luv would be sweet, i assume weak rears factory?

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
does it have to be some kind of sports car? i've heard of guys getting the 1st gen s10 pickups down to 2500 pretty easily. they also hook like a som bitch with a set of cheap traction bars on street tires. here is black x on his mickey thompson drag radials a few weeks ago. the newer s10 trucks are heavier than the 1st gen pickups. if you're just itching to work on something i have a 1996 s10 in my driveway and a LS2 in the garage. come wrench away! i'll let you drive it once or twice :JEST:

NOT BAD FOR A STREET TIRE: lol
Not bad, a 1st get S10 would work, easy to find, but the rears are weak, IDK what is a cheap replacement that is strong.

Originally Posted by NemeSS
i will never build a mustang or fox for myself. so i will never vote for a fox

i nomiate a nissan 240sx. light car, ls engine drops right in. looks easier to change plugs and fabricate headers and exhaust for it. they run with ls power.
a few exaples of em here. the rear will prolly be the weakest link.
if its a gonna be a drag car i assume your gonna drop some cash into the driveline.
why not just build a 3rd gen drag car. since you pretty much got it all figured out for the swaps.
you have the 12 bolt alredy. make more power instead of finding a lighter car.
turbo a 5.3 with th400. plenty of room in the bay for a large singe or mid size TT.
when time comes im gonna build a hi hp 3rd gen, like ive always wanted to.
i will get you another one of my new alternator relocation bracket when i get some more in for your new car.
Looking for all motor, 9 seconds, pump gas 6.0, needs to be light as possible, the third gens just dont get there.

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Some Monzas had a v8 from the factory. I saw one on Craigslist just a couple of nights ago and the price wasn't bad at all. It would be a good swap, but a lot more work than a Fox car. Everything would have to be custom made.

Here ya go.

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/pts/2952208769.html
A monza is a possibility, i think they had junk 7.5 rears as well?

Originally Posted by boostit5.3
i cannot vote, but i say fox. light, easy to make hook, tons of parts around. if you do choose to go with a 240sx i have a set of mounts i took the 5.3 out of the 240 i have its goin in a 88 chevy pickup.
Thanks for the offer, you are there with me, the stangs aftermarket is HUGE, parts are stupid available.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I love my Z, but I have had it forever. I haven’t done much strength wise beyond some rust repain and subframe connectors from a place called Bad Dog Parts. You are right about being flimsy pieces of tin. The 240’s are considerably lighter and less strong than the later 280’s. You will be better served starting with a 280. They are heavier, because they are stronger, but they are also cheaper and much easier to find. Arizona or Cali has the greatest number of low rust cars. They don’t rust out there and they were so popular when new that I think 90% of them got sold on the west coast to begin with. Headers are limited but mainly because there just isn’t a lot of room under the car.

I hear you about Hybridz. I had an account there for years with the same screen name I have here. The people running that site are a bunch of constipated ****** while the users seem to be a bunch of yipping lap dogs always barking about “the rules”. That use to be an awesome place to hang out, but they have effectively killed it with their “rules”. Their post count isn’t what it use to be back in the day, but I honestly don’t think they care. The mods openly post that they don’t care if anyone but them posts on that site. For what it is worth they constantly bitch about people posting redundant stuff because they claim it makes the search function less effective. I guess eventually they will just close the site cause it will already have everything they feel is worth posting about a Z car. It will be more of an encyclopedia than BBS by then anyway.

The 240sx does take well to a V8. Rear ends are NOT an issue. Nissan makes some strong *** stuff and the SX’s have some better rear stub axle options than the Z cars. But I just have never liked the SX body style. The car itself was a massive let down when compared to the Z’s. While the Z’s were light and torque, the 240SX is heavy and has a motor better suited to a pick up truck than a sports car. Swap in a pushrod V8 and IMO they become a lot more interesting . They have a good aftermarket, but I imagine it is limited and more expensive than mustangs.

From what I have read of your posts you will be better suited to a solid rear axle mustang car. So one vote from a Datsun guy for a ruststang.
Saw you user name there while i was searching for info (which they say i did not do), what do the 240,260 and 280s look like weight wise swapped for LS?

The SX are cool, especially the newer, but the prices are not that great, im sure they are stronger? How are the rears in those? I did see a couple deals on the ones i would buy, blown motor or bad trans, just want the body anyway.

Originally Posted by 89sierra
i dont know if its possible but i say try a fierro. super light and rear wheel drive.
That is a no go, too much money to make it work, especially carbed.

Originally Posted by OnlyACamaroCanbeAZ28
The 240 sounds like it could be cool. My vote would be for a 95+ s10 or sonoma, they can be had for 500-600 with a junk motor (in my area) and dont usually have the typical rust issues that the 1st gen's had.. Reg cab's are fairly light and easy to work on considering their fully framed and everything can be removed if necessary to make stuff easier. Cost wise the fox is probablly your best bet though just because most can be found with a solid rear where as the s10 might make it down the block.lol

still voting for the s10 though!
It is still a consideration, by all means!

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Why not chop the weight out of the 3rd gen? Is it your daily driver? That would be cheaper than a whole new project.
My 89 is my street ride, 99% street these days, already downgraded from allot of the "race goodies"(seats, tires ect), just my cruiser, been driving it all week. Plus, they do not get as light as a fox, by any means.

Originally Posted by jsanford
What about something like this?

http://bham.craigslist.org/pts/2937788947.html

Or this

http://bham.craigslist.org/pts/2971809299.html

I don't know anything about them. But I've been eying the Vega wagon for awhile.
Fugly and then the other is rare in good shape for a good price. But if i found a deal....

Originally Posted by $O$OE
Zone, What are you looking to spend?
Unfortunately due to financial issues I have to place a halt to my current hobby and sell all but my heads.
Its not the best looking car since I was just going to Drag race it.
Just finished installing a Wolfe CM 10 Pt cage and have a lot of other things that I will sell.
Shoot me a PM if you would like.

Just going to go as cheap as possible and look out for a project that was started probably, like i said, i would have a coupe with a 6.0 in my garage right now had i had my cash right this week, was a steal.

What all is done other than what is in the pic?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have fuel system, A2000, -10, -8, regulators, all lines ready to go.
I have LSx PAracing Kmember, Glide trans Crossmember, Kook headers.

I pretty much just need a trans, converter, MSD box and im sure any other misc things that would come up.
Im planning on selling all the stuff I have with the car, or parts it all out and sell the car as a rolling chassis.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Well for asking sake, what are you looking to get? I will not have cash for about 4-5 months, then it is on. Want to pro charge the RS, but it will wait while I do a drag car, might do a 7800 rpm 4.8 just because they are stupid cheap, have a spare on the ground right now.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

whats the lightest u can get a 3rd gen to?
i think gonna take at least a 625bhp or around 500rw to break 9s with a stalled th350/400 and bolt.?
i could be wrong. but if it hooks and runs strait. i think its possible.
more than sure u can builda 600+bhp motor out a 6.0 with oe heads and crank.

Quick Reply: My next LS carbed swap, what do you think?