Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Yay, nay?: MSD controller for LS efi...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yay, nay?: MSD controller for LS efi...

Wondering you guys opinions on using the MSD controller, normally ment for carb applications. On an LS based install into a first gen camaro, maintaing factory efi.. but using the msd controller for ignition dutys.

Looing through scoggin dickey today I stumbled upon this:

http://sdparts.com/details/msd-ignition/msd8886

And figured if that will work reasonably well for awhile untill i get the funds/ abillity to sort a real harness/ GM ecu out. Then lets do it.
Im assuming the MSD controller is rather simple to install into an existing GM wiring harness. No? Any info... Pro's cons of doing this plz let me know. This camaro has been dying to get on the road. Currently undergoing last bits of the body work/ 350 4speed install.. But if this controller is a simple way to go LS based.. I think I will give it a try. Thanks for any feedback, BobD

Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are going to use the factory EFI, I would just use the ignition as well. Otherwise, use the MSD if you are wanting the key features, nitrous retard, two step ect, those are the main advantages.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Heres where im at. Im finding local pullots *5.3/6.0* In the 250-600 dollar range, no harness... no computer. When added they drive the selling price up into an undesirable figure.

Ive found an MSD controller with harness on a local craigs list add for 175. So I was thinking the MSD box could control the whole thng.... Doh! A homer moment.. So i would still need to use a GM ecu with this box.. to control how muc fuel the motor see's etc?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Well you can go with a factory ECU or use the controller for the ignition side of things and add a stand alone fuel system. Something like a megasquirt version 1 that will control just the fuel side. You have to get some tuning time to get it dialed in but then you'd have control of everything...
Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Yea, MS can control pretty much anything, you can Frankenstein anything.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Update: Snagged up a 6.0 4l80E combo today for 895$. Ive been reading alot about hte L92/LS3 head builds. And i feel this is the direction I want to go. Any other options for my goal? Cheaper? More compresion another way? Ultimately not fixated on a horsepower number. But im looking for something in the 120 or so mph capabillity in the 1/4, Even though the car will rarely see it. No cage, subframe connectors.. Just a street bruiser to whoop up on the featheweight S10s running around town.

I guess im going to dive on in and try to wire this thing myself. Im not to savy with LS electronics, so im hoping someone or anyone on this forum will help me cut down a harness and help locate/ wire up the pinots etc etc.
Free all original 69 FURD 351 GT Torino to whoevers willing to help!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:24 AM
In-Zane Moderator

So efi?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Yes. Definately wanting EFI. Ill leave the carb for another build. Any opinions on ponying up for the Ls3 heads? Or is there a cheaper alternative to getting to say.. an 11.5 in the quarter.

Also.. How much is this megasquirt ecu you speak of? Ive heard lots about it.. But like I said, ive never messed with any sort of EFI/ tuning/ etc etc.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Sorry for asking the question in here.. I was thinking of using the MSD box.. Still thinking of using it with maybe the MS. So that is why I posted this thread in this subdivision.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:54 PM
In-Zane Moderator

A set of 243 heads may work, especially ported.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quaman
Update: Snagged up a 6.0 4l80E combo today for 895$. Ive been reading alot about hte L92/LS3 head builds. And i feel this is the direction I want to go. Any other options for my goal? Cheaper? More compresion another way? Ultimately not fixated on a horsepower number. But im looking for something in the 120 or so mph capabillity in the 1/4, Even though the car will rarely see it. No cage, subframe connectors.. Just a street bruiser to whoop up on the featheweight S10s running around town.

I guess im going to dive on in and try to wire this thing myself. Im not to savy with LS electronics, so im hoping someone or anyone on this forum will help me cut down a harness and help locate/ wire up the pinots etc etc.
Free all original 69 FURD 351 GT Torino to whoevers willing to help!!!

What year is the harness and what part of Ok are you in?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Teching In

It is a 2005 model harness. I live in Vinita,OK. Northeast corner. Rather close to Kansas,Arkansas aswell as missouri.

Quick Reply: Yay, nay?: MSD controller for LS efi...