Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

msd 6ls question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default msd 6ls question

how easy are these to wire? is everything plug and play except the ground, power and tach signal?

im getting my white monte running again with carbed LS power and would like to know before i dive headfirst into doing it

and i heard this also on another forum

"The 6LS is easy to wire but you MUST make sure you calibrate the ignition timing.

LS motors have crank trigger wheels that are NOT fit accurately from the factory - they can be off as much as 20 degrees. The factory computer phases them each time the computer is reset by comparing against the cam signal.

So you need to make sure you add a TDC mark and indicator to your balancer and then make sure you adjust the 6LS via laptop so that if it thinks it's running 20 degrees advance, it is actually running 20 degrees - and not 40.

The process is easy and we can walk you through it."

so how would i find how off it is? with a degree wheel for degreeing cams? and would i have to remember how far off it is and compensate on the msd box for it or could i reset it completely so it reads correct?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as i know they are plug and play,,,, i hooked mine up and crank right up no problem,,,, i dont know about the timing being off,, mine was not..
Old 08-09-2012, 10:23 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The hardest part is the crank sensor plug if the starter is already in, LOL. Otherwise, it is too easy. I have heard of the reluctor of aftermarket being screwed up, but no one i personally know of and as many swaps i have done? Never an issue.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by windmill
As far as i know they are plug and play,,,, i hooked mine up and crank right up no problem,,,, i dont know about the timing being off,, mine was not..
im hoping i get lucky with mine and have that happen but id like to know how to fix it if im not that lucky haha
Old 08-10-2012, 05:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the first I have ever heard of that problem.

I say don't worry about it.

The boxes are absolutely plug and play. The only real ball scratcher was trying to get the USB to serial converter working with Windows. Having to select comm port numbers took me back to the 80's
Old 08-10-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
The only real ball scratcher was trying to get the USB to serial converter working with Windows. Having to select comm port numbers took me back to the 80's
could you tell me more about this, because this is the first ive heard of this haha, and im not really sure what the serial converter is

i got another question too, i read that to run the stock 200r4 i need to change out the throttle valve spring and get a different bracket for the tv cable? or could i just use the stock bracket thats still in the car, thats what i used with the carbed 350 that was in it and it worked fine so i dont see how it would be any different with a different motor under the carb?

and would the driveshaft yoke from the 200r4 interchange with one from a th350? the built the350 in my 71 monte has a 6" tailhousing on it so its the same length as the 200r4 so i might just do that, if theyre not the same its no big deal ill just switch the yokes on the 2 cars

Last edited by 1988montecarloss; 08-10-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1988montecarloss
could you tell me more about this, because this is the first ive heard of this haha, and im not really sure what the serial converter is

i got another question too, i read that to run the stock 200r4 i need to change out the throttle valve spring and get a different bracket for the tv cable? or could i just use the stock bracket thats still in the car, thats what i used with the carbed 350 that was in it and it worked fine so i dont see how it would be any different with a different motor under the carb?

and would the driveshaft yoke from the 200r4 interchange with one from a th350? the built the350 in my 71 monte has a 6" tailhousing on it so its the same length as the 200r4 so i might just do that, if theyre not the same its no big deal ill just switch the yokes on the 2 cars
anybody?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

on the intake u buy,, u get some brackets for sttuff like that,,, and the yokes on the 200r4 is the same as a 350 and glide..... the serial port is what on ur laptop where u can program your timing instead of the chips...
Old 08-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Didn't do anything different to my 200 when I went ls
Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 AM
TECH Junkie

It's nothing big. Use to be every computer in the world had some type of serial port. Now they all went to USB ports. But for $9 you can buy a converter off Amazon to go from USB to serial. Once it is working everything is cake. It is not really hard to do the first time, just irritating.

I don't know the answer about the TV cable or trans yokes. Someone on here should know.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

anybody?
Go to the MSD site, look up the 6010 and get the adapter they recommend. That way you know you won't have trouble getting it to work. For the TV cable, it depends on what carb you run. Holley makes Throttle Valve corrector brackets that bolt to the side of the carb to give you the correct geometry. Look them up at Summit so you can see what I am talking about.

Last edited by LS1MCSS; 08-18-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

I'm using the Bowtie Overdrives TV made EZ setup with mine. I haven't installed it yet. I sent my fuel injection setup back to swap with the carb version. I know someone running a 700r4 with a 5.3 that used the brackets that came with the Edelbrock intake he got. He said he had to mod it some but it is working fine.

I'm not sure about the throttle valve spring.

Quick Reply: msd 6ls question