Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carbed PCV ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbed PCV ideas

Carbed 6.0. Running aftermarket valve covers. Rather than take a hole saw to my new valve covers im looking at drilling and tapping the valley cover for an an- fitting or two. What recomendations does anybody have on what to run off of those fittings I install in the valley cover?

Im considdering running a breather on one, and a regular PCV on the other with a clear glass filter to catch the oil between the carb and the PCV.

The other idea is to tap one in the front, and one in the back and run breathers in both.

Any thoughts, ideas, tips, or "your a dumbass, do it this ways" would be appreciated, lol. Thanks, Eric L
Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

UPDATE: Heres another idea I came up with this afternoon. Lets get some thoughts on weather this will be enough or not. Heres some pics.

The top picture is of the baffled catch can mounting with a breather on top. From there I would run an 8-AN line under the alternator as shown in pic 2 up to a bung welded into the top or side of the drivers side valve cover.

Now, heres my question. Would this set up ALONE be enough crankcase evaporation, or should I add a second breather, or PCV valve somewhere else? Thanks, Eric L
Old 09-13-2012, 05:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you get an LS6 style valley cover it has a built in PCV vent. Unless you are doing something radical with the motor that should be all the vent you need. Chevy went to the valley cover vent and put put a lot of baffling in to help keep oil out of the PCV system / engine intake. For that reason I wouldn't just tap the valley cover. Ingesting oil knocks your gas octane down risking detonation.

You might do a little reading on PCV catch cans. Some are better than others. You want something with mechanical separators in there, not just a hollow can.

The idea with catch cans is to put one inbetween the crankcase vent and the vacuum source. I see people running vented cans but I'm not sure how that works.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 AM
10 Second Club

I noticed when mounting that can that it has a seperator inside it. How well it works is the question.

I was under the impression that all 2004 and up LS engines had the vented valley cover, but mine had both of the vents in the valve covers and a smooth valley cover.

Unfortunately being a 2008 engine mine has the DOD ports UNDER the valley cover. If I were thinking ahead I would have tapped and plugged them when I had the block apart. But my valley cover has O rings to seal those 8 ports off. So I cant use an LS6 cover.

I guess the other thing I could do is to run a line from a PCV valve mounted in the valve cover into the bottom of the can, through the baffle, and out the side of the can and to the back of the carb? Any thoughts on that. Thanks, Eric L
Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be warned - pic your location for venting from the valley cover carefully...Some areas will see much more oil mist than others.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tryed to vent from the valley cover( to keep the valve covers clean), it did NOT work out well- spewed alot of oil every time the engine was rpm'd. I stuck a k&n filter on the oil fill tube, and voila, no more problems.
Barrett
Old 09-14-2012, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

Are you only running 1 breather Barrett? Cause that was my other thought. To run from the puke tank/breather tank, to the side or top of the driverside valve cover with a piece of 8AN hose like in the pictures? I just always wondered if that would be enough crankcase vent? Thanks, Eric L
Old 09-14-2012, 01:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am now simply running a single filter directly on the oil fill tube. It seems to be all the venting I need, even with 8000 rpm shifts.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

WOW, thats encouraging. Im hoping to keep it simple and simply run a bung on the front of the driverside valve cover, and run 8AN to the breather tank and call it a day. I did a little research and found a breather that will clamp onto my 1.50 diameter oil fill bung. I can always add that if the 1 line isnt enough. Thanks, Eric L

Quick Reply: Carbed PCV ideas