Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Build Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Opinions

Just a small background. I used to be a pro Chevy guy back in the 80-90's when the SBC was the king of the hill when it came to price/hp. Went over to the import camp and loved and hated it. Making over 4HP/CI is very impressive but the cost was just getting astronomical. Came back to american muscle and picked up a 85 Mustang that I planed on drag racing with the occasional drive to work 1-2 times a month. Built a 13:1 CR 393 for it and recently decided that a LQ4 was going to be a better fit along with a 97lb/min turbo. I've decided to put L92 heads on it along with a carb victor jr and MSD 6LS. Want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I plan to kept the short block stock for a season or 2 then probably build a 408 out of another LQ4/LQ9, so I'm going to do this on a limited budget. So here is what I have so far that I need to get. Also I'm probably going to push this to about 800 HP in a 2800 lbs car on bias ply slicks and a auto.

LQ4 - Not LQ9 to kept the CR down below 10:1 to lots of bost
L92 Heads
FTI Custom cam, pushrods, and PAC springs
Victor Jr. carb intake
MSD 6LS-2 ignition
Comp Cams Rocker trunion upgrade
ARP Head Studs
CSU blow thru carb
F-body low mount alternator bracket
TH-400

And so parts I'm unsure that I have to have:
ARP rod bolts - read that stock rod bolts are good if after a certain year
HV oil pump
Rollmaster timing set
Set of roller tip rockers

Let me know anything I might be overlooking. With just this stuff along with a new K member for the swap I'm looking at over $5K so I'm trying to not spend money on things I don't have to. I don't want to get pistons or rods cause then I might as well build the stoker now which I don't have the budget for. All input is appreciated.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maglin
Just a small background. I used to be a pro Chevy guy back in the 80-90's when the SBC was the king of the hill when it came to price/hp. Went over to the import camp and loved and hated it. Making over 4HP/CI is very impressive but the cost was just getting astronomical. Came back to american muscle and picked up a 85 Mustang that I planed on drag racing with the occasional drive to work 1-2 times a month. Built a 13:1 CR 393 for it and recently decided that a LQ4 was going to be a better fit along with a 97lb/min turbo. I've decided to put L92 heads on it along with a carb victor jr and MSD 6LS. Want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I plan to kept the short block stock for a season or 2 then probably build a 408 out of another LQ4/LQ9, so I'm going to do this on a limited budget. So here is what I have so far that I need to get. Also I'm probably going to push this to about 800 HP in a 2800 lbs car on bias ply slicks and a auto.

LQ4 - Not LQ9 to kept the CR down below 10:1 to lots of bost
L92 Heads
FTI Custom cam, pushrods, and PAC springs
Victor Jr. carb intake
MSD 6LS-2 ignition
Comp Cams Rocker trunion upgrade
ARP Head Studs
CSU blow thru carb
F-body low mount alternator bracket
TH-400

And so parts I'm unsure that I have to have:
ARP rod bolts - read that stock rod bolts are good if after a certain year
HV oil pump
Rollmaster timing set
Set of roller tip rockers

Let me know anything I might be overlooking. With just this stuff along with a new K member for the swap I'm looking at over $5K so I'm trying to not spend money on things I don't have to. I don't want to get pistons or rods cause then I might as well build the stoker now which I don't have the budget for. All input is appreciated.
MSD-6LS or 6LS-2 depends on what year the motor is.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you get a 05 and up LQ4 they have the better rods and floated. Arp bolts are cheap insurance (I would do them) for what your doing but they are usually added due to high RPMs. With a turbo obviously you would be building more of a compression load than the pull effect of high rpms.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm doing basically the same build, I found an 06 LQ4,csu750, BW S480 92/1.1 a/r. Flipped truck manifolds with v-bands welded on.
I had a set of L92 heads sitting here so I'm using them. I would have just run the 317 heads if I didnt have the L92's and a carb manifold for them already.
what turbo did you buy, or are thinking of?
- Thats where you should save $$, keep the stock 317 heads.
-Alper motorsports head studs - $66
- LS9 head gaskets
-your gonna need a 3 bar map sensor
-you'll need a good carb hat, some can ruin a combo - I have a CSU hat, but I dont know if it is the best???
-your gonna need a decent oil pan - I modded a truck pan on my first build, but it cost almost as much to get it welded up as it cost for an Autokraft pan that Im using this time
- I also dont think the trunion upgrade is worth the money, but thats MY opinion. KEEP the stock rockers, just be sure FTI is aware of this when they spec you valvetrain stuff.
- I also dont think ARP rod bolts are worth it. just keep RPMs down below 7000. a turbo combo is probably gonna peak at or just over 6K anyway.
I say forget the HV oilpump - again MY opinion
- I also say use a stock single row timing chain, if anything install the tfs LS2 tensioner adapter and a tensioner http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....98++150&orig=1 I like the gen 4 tensioner -again my opinion

800 hp at the flywheel will be CAKE, no matter which heads you use, and I dont think you'll EVER NEED the 408 setup, 6.0 under boost will make big power. Rods and pistons into the 6.0 down the road is wise.

Are you going to use an intercooler?
I opted for water/meth injection, but I am only going to run 7psi on the street with 91octane+meth, and I will have a separate 15+psi tuneup for the track with c-16+water/meth.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting thread already.

Quick Reply: Build Opinions