Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Alternator Issue - wiring??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Issue - wiring??

Have a 79 elco with 2004 5.3 Vortec. I have already replaced one alternator, and rewired to what I THOUGHT migh be correct. However, battery needs charging consistantly, and car dies immediately if positive is disconnected.

Trying not to have to do this again, I have a come to the trusted experts once again. Back of alternator wired to starter. On the plug top HOT wire to battery (S on alternator), and taped wire (I on alternator) hides a 470 Ohm 1/2 watt resistor wired to idiot light. L and P on alternator inactive. Although I have looked at numerous diagrams, have I wired incorrectly? And If so and I fix it, will alternator work or have I shot this one too? Same thing...will I need to replace resistor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by GoTTi-RR; 02-28-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added question
Old 02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have the idiot light then you don't need the resistor. Also sounds like you have that hooked to the wrong lug. See below

Last bit of advice is to take the alternator to a parts store and have them do a free check. Eliminate that as a possibility.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 02-28-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If you have the idiot light then you don't need the resistor.

Take the alternator to a parts store and have them do a free check. Eliminate that as a possibility.
Thanks...I just bought the alternator new, although I know nowadays that doesnt mean much. Would the resistor adversely affect proper operation if its not needed?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, having both might be an issue.

Recheck my last post. I just edited it. The idiot light goes to the L lug
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Ok, cool. Alternator checks fine per parts store, moved connection to "L", but doesnt seem to charge with or without resistor, and idiot light does not come on when key is in "on" position with car off. Im starting to think maybe this circuit is no good (imagine that on an elco) so should i just try and find an "key on" hot wire?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Teching In

got it done...went to wiper circuit...thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: Alternator Issue - wiring??