Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Gt2-3

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gt2-3

Hi all, Lookin to see if anyone has or is running the Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam in their engine with a carb set up?? Thinking of doing it myself because I'm over cammed for my application. Any info helps with my research. Idle speed,vacuum created @idle,RPM range,Engine type,Etc. I'm presently running a L92/LS3 with a 24 ct reluctor,Yea you read it right,wheel swapped. And MSD 6010 programmable.Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:18 AM
Staging Lane

Default cam

No help here again. LOL, Draggers must not know. Admin please delete posting. Thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 06:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should list the cam specs including the LSA. I seriously doubt anyone is running a lingerfelter cam with a carb because his company specializes in Fuel injection.

What cam do you have that is over cammed?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:14 AM
Staging Lane

Default cam

Cam is a comp cam, Xer273. 581/588 . 224/230. 114LSA. Rec RPM/ 2000-7000. Need more torque. running Gmpp dual plane intake,800 cfm carb, 2006 Vette exhaust manifolds, auto tranny and stock convertor. not interested in a stall or headers. L92/LS3 Stage III rectangle port heads. 4.10 gears 35" tires. Wanting loooong life, no spring issues,and need more bottem end. Thats why I was curious about the GT2-3 from LPE. Lift below 600,Short duration, Read on here the duration split is what the rect heads like,with high lift and short dur.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be running cathedral port heads. I would change out the heads for 243's. You could leave the cam for now, even though the LSA isn't favorable, it might work out for you. Maybe even advancing it 4 degrees would help. Talk to one of the cam experts.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda620
Cam is a comp cam, Xer273. 581/588 . 224/230. 114LSA. Rec RPM/ 2000-7000. Need more torque. running Gmpp dual plane intake,800 cfm carb, 2006 Vette exhaust manifolds, auto tranny and stock convertor. not interested in a stall or headers. L92/LS3 Stage III rectangle port heads. 4.10 gears 35" tires. Wanting loooong life, no spring issues,and need more bottem end. Thats why I was curious about the GT2-3 from LPE. Lift below 600,Short duration, Read on here the duration split is what the rect heads like,with high lift and short dur.
I have never seen any testing of a cam like that in a square port, dual plane set up. I say run it and see how it goes. You are kind of in virgin territory. That is a fair amount of cam in a square port head for having no stall. Report back on how you like it.

Originally Posted by The stunningman
Maybe even advancing it 4 degrees would help.
This may be just what the doctor ordered. What is the intake centerline now?
Old 02-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Default cam

Thanks for your input. LS3's run in 4x4's all the time,with rect port heads. I'm just needin to cam down,maybe go bact to FI So not swapping out heads. If can't get it where I want it I'll pull it, build a 383 stroker GEN I, with a weiand blower to put in the 4x4 and put the LS in a car,or something. Thanks all. Can't go 4 wheelin with a stall convertor unless you like buyin trannys. All Terrain is much harder than asphalt terrain.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Im running a custom grind from Bullet Racing in my LS3, with the GMPP dual plane. The cam specs out at 220-230 at .050 on a 108+4, the lift is 629 on both sides. The torque is instant, right off idle, and as a bonus, it revs cleanly to 7K. From what Ive gathered, and the info is sparse at best, the rectangular port heads really respond to a super tight LSA and a short duration, with a lift strong enough to get into the .6+ ,to get the goody out of the high lift #s those heads make. For some reason, the torque curve gets high and wide with that formula. Im more than impressed with my setup, being able to cruise at 1700rpms with the converter locked without any lugging at all, and running mid 11s at 118+ in a 3500lbs car, with blown traction. It makes good steam everywhere in the rev range and is as docile as a stocker, when Im in cruise mode. Give the formula a try before you give in. Hopefully, you will be as impressed as I am with power all the way across the revs.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I use to be a mudder....you can't throw out the idea of a stall
I had a 3000 B&M in my old K5 behind a 406 SBC, th350, 4.56's, and 38's....that thing was FUN

So what's the set-up, and use ? rock crawling, muddin' ???
Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Default Cam

Thanks for the input. I'll give some thought to a Bullit cam and contact them. Some concern about 600 or more lift. Want long life and not babysitting valvesprings. As far as use, DD street and track toy. Don't do rock crawling,too damaging and a waste of time and vehicles,,,Duh? Mudding sometimes and hill climbs with drag racing at Silver lake sand dunes. Fiberglass Jeep with this engine,dana 60, and auto has surprized more than one hot rodder. Cams just too tempermental and wants to run hot in traffic from pushing against the convertor. Runs great flat out. When it hits its power band runs like raped ape. Low 1st in 700R4 helps launch. Even with 35" tires and 4:10's. Stall would help but cost me more MPG's and more heat issues in traffic. Thought about a Little LPE GT2-3, but wide LSA/118.5 probable not best for carb and dual plane. Still learning. LOL
Old 02-02-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ask for Tim at Bullet when you CALL them. He is a great cam guy and doesnt mind spending some time talking about your ride and usage .
Old 02-03-2014, 05:41 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A cam with a 118 lsa is the last thing I would put into a heavy 4x4. A set of headers and custom grind 215/221, .566/.572, 108 or 110 lsa would help a ton and not hammer the valve train. Not sure what chassis this is in but the pace setter trail blazer headers fit a lot of different trucks.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default cam

Yea the GT2-3 I think was mainly a blower cam from LPE. I liked the lift of 571/578 and duration of207/220. Now if it was a 112 or even a114 LSA it would probably be perfect in my 4x4 with the Q-jet and GMPP lsx dual plane intake. Being a 6.2 the intake duration could maybe be more. Then good bottom end. Headers wont fit,but running Vette manifolds with 2.75 pipes and 2.5" exhaust thru oval magnaflows. Basically straight thru. I found a Crower and a comp cam grind,Really partial to Crower. Used a few,very good quality and no clatter like some comps do. Comps kinda like chevies,everybodys got one.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not everybody has a Bullet Cam aka Ultradyne. Just those really quick guys that wont talk about their cam specs, LOL.
It really doesn't take much duration with the rectangular port heads to make a ton of power. A baby cam will make good power to as far as most will spin their engine. I feel like adding intake duration to those heads just eliminates the bottom of the rev range without extending the high rpm charge. The heads will carry the cam up top, while the cam carries the heads down low, IMO.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^ You are correct but also need some overlap that's why the tighter lsa's tend to run better with the shorter duration. Isky is a different one as well. They have been around since the beganing of Hot rodding. 100% American made cores and valvetrain parts, no china cores. They are milder profiles but have always made power for me. I have used and sold 1000's over the years with great luck. A lot of times people get too agressive with the profile and just tear up parts. Valve control is just as if not more important than intensity when running high flow heads and hyd rollers.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stock48
^^^^ You are correct but also need some overlap that's why the tighter lsa's tend to run better with the shorter duration. Isky is a different one as well. They have been around since the beganing of Hot rodding. 100% American made cores and valvetrain parts, no china cores. They are milder profiles but have always made power for me. I have used and sold 1000's over the years with great luck. A lot of times people get too agressive with the profile and just tear up parts. Valve control is just as if not more important than intensity when running high flow heads and hyd rollers.
I agree 100% on valve control being a vital part in a good combo for it to make the power it is suppose to. Luckily , valve spring tech is getting better and with the right spring and valves, dependable power is possible with aggressive lobes. I wouldn't even consider a wild ramp on a daily driver that sees a LOT of street miles, but lets face it, not many of us drive our toys everyday. Having to change valve springs every 10K miles really means doing springs every 5 yrs or so for the majority of us. That's if we even have the same setup by then. I have aggressive lobes on both of my toys and enjoy the power they give. The mechanical noise they make reminds me of the old solid lifter days when a hotrod was suppose to make noises. The power robbing heavy valve spring is more than overcome by the extra HP the aggressive lobe gives, so I don't subscribe to the lighter spring giving more power. Its proven to not be the case.
The overlap is exactly the reason for the tight LSA on short durations. It works quite well because you get an aggressive power band, but also good vacuum. A nice lope and great low RPM highway drive ability. Those big heads have excellent torque down low with a sharp high lift lobe and the heads will carry that torque and HP past what you would expect from the duration numbers, because the heads flow so well.
I am looking forward to experimenting with more cubes, down the road with the same theory on cam design. With a properly setup suspension, a 416 with a baby cam should give off the charts TQ/HP with really smooth DD manners. Anyone for a mid-low 10 sec NA DD with the manners of a stocker?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default cam

10 sec dd runs like stock??? Great concept,would need to be a torque King. I dont think it would work for what I need though. Jeep would self destruck at that speed. I've been there though with a few BB mopars and BBC's on juice and stroked. LS tech is kinda different learning curve though. Was thinkin about doin a blown 383sbc,But went LS3/L92 instead. Lunati,and Elliot made some good soundin recommendations though. Both custom grinds and almost identical specs except Lunati recommended 4 degrees advance in it for off idle response and still should pull 6400 RPM,and long valvespring life. Jeeps great 2400 and up,but tight off roadin,not so much. Fun on the street though...
Old 02-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Default cam

I agree I need a tighter LSA for the carb and the shorter duration for good vacuum signal ,idle and low rpm torque. I'm learning from all I'm told. In my day I've never read so much info on cam specs and what each component of cam design does to the engine. Use to be simpler,,,Old School Drag racer from the REAL Hemi era. LOL. So far it been suggested with my build to go,,,213/221 @.050 with 544/558 on a 112LSA. Both recs from different sources,What a coincidence.But one recommended it ground with 4 degrees advance for the stock convertor and bottom end torque. I can run 75 mph @ 2000 rpm with convertor locked in. Thats just under where my XER 273 Comp cam starts making power.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cuda620
I agree I need a tighter LSA for the carb and the shorter duration for good vacuum signal ,idle and low rpm torque. I'm learning from all I'm told. In my day I've never read so much info on cam specs and what each component of cam design does to the engine. Use to be simpler,,,Old School Drag racer from the REAL Hemi era. LOL. So far it been suggested with my build to go,,,213/221 @.050 with 544/558 on a 112LSA. Both recs from different sources,What a coincidence.But one recommended it ground with 4 degrees advance for the stock convertor and bottom end torque. I can run 75 mph @ 2000 rpm with convertor locked in. Thats just under where my XER 273 Comp cam starts making power.
With durations that short, I would tighten the LSA up for use with that intake. I feel like there wont be enough overlap to make the heads turn on hard , down low. That's the bad part of running the GMPP dual plane, none of the cam gurus have really worked with the combo. D&A are the only people I know of, and believe me, Ive looked, that have done experimenting with the intake and they found that the more overlap and lead you could can run, with a tight duration, the better the engine came in down low. they ran a 226-228 cam with a 108+6 in a 409 and it made 525+ ft lbs at 2500 rpms and still made over 500ft lbs at 6400 rpms. That is the build I loosely based my cam setup on, and it works very well for me.
Take it for what you will. Im sure the 112 cam will do OK that Lunati speced.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Default cam

How tight do the pacesetter headers fit the block? The LS truck pacesetters didn't fit between my framerails and the vette manifold are tight, like 1/4" clearance. And newschool, you think a 108 lsa is better than the 112? Are you talking the lsa or intake centerline? I don't want a rough idle. Some lope okay,but if I'm negotiating a hill,or step or crevise,I may need to be as low as 600 rpm,

Quick Reply: Gt2-3