Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

To carb or not to carb?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To carb or not to carb?

Ok so I drive a 2000 camaro SS A4.
Mods are as follows
Bbk intake
Bbk tb
Walboro 255
Ms3
3600 stall (4l60E)
3.73 gears
Long tubes
Lm1
Ory

My want to go carb is because I'm tired of paying a tuner to get the car going. Not to mention where I live the closest tuner id trust to tune my car is 2+ hrs away. Also the fact that with the ms3 the last tuner didn't do such a good job and it idles like **** (it dies at idle) or when coming to a stop. Granted I know nothing of how to tune a carb or anything but I would think that tuning a carb would be a lot easier then tuning efi.

So what do u guys think should I carb or should I not? Are there any advantages over carb vs efi. I only drive my car a few months out of the year. 4-5 months at that plus she's just going to be a track rat/ sunny day toy
Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

This is the carb section, so the answer is yes.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Ok, now that the joke is out of the way, have you read the "what you need to know/FAQ" sticky yet? It will help make your decision.

Are you willing to learn the old technology that some say is "not worth it"?

Many a factors, but for me, if i have the cash, a LS Efi car will stay EFI, because I have locals that cam tune it great.

In your case, if you have no emissions, and you don't mind cutting the cowl, ect ect, then the odds are, it may be worth it.

The Trans will need a controller, so it isn't cheap.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Ok, now that the joke is out of the way, have you read the "what you need to know/FAQ" sticky yet? It will help make your decision.

Are you willing to learn the old technology that some say is "not worth it"?

Many a factors, but for me, if i have the cash, a LS Efi car will stay EFI, because I have locals that cam tune it great.

In your case, if you have no emissions, and you don't mind cutting the cowl, ect ect, then the odds are, it may be worth it.

The Trans will need a controller, so it isn't cheap.
i have read majority of the carb stickies. i dont mind learning new stuff. but damn learning to tune on hp tuners or efi live is a ******* nightmare.
we dont have to be hooked up to a sniffer here in new york. as long as the car will pass a OBDII check it is good. and there are no check engine lights.

it really bothers me to have to rely on someone to tune my car when i do new **** to it

im hoping that selling the bbk stuff and other parts that i wont need will help off set some of the cost.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to do that so long as it looks decent and nothing has been mangled or eaten by a T-Rex...

I will suggest that you get the carb stuff and get the swap completed before selling anything.

It is not too difficult to accomplish in all honesty. Biggest thing you should consider is do you want this for daily driver/street driving duty, or a weekend play toy??

Once you have made that decision, the path you choose is basically laid out right in front of your eyes.

What engine are you running? Square or cathedral port heads? I ask because someone might have changed them around.

If you are planning to swap the cam, do it while you have the intake off and all the crap out of the way. Also makes for checking/changing the valves a lot easier, not having to fight wiring harnesses.

Do you want to keep your current trans or go to a different one? If you keep the current one, you will need to get a controller for it. The throttle position sensor mounting kit will also need to be obtained for mounting to the carb and reading an accurate throttle position for the controller to make this thing go fast.

lots of things to consider, so read through and decide, then let us know so we can point you in the right direction, young pad-o-wan learner....

sorry, that was the closest thing to YODA
Old 05-19-2014, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh yeah, figure out a throttle cable and get one quick. Someone on here should be able to tell you which one will work for you.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:22 AM
In-Zane Moderator

He can shave down a 87-92 TBI camaro/firebird throttle cable where it goes I to the firewall, that's what I did for my 94. Shaved it down so it barely fit and then it had no reason to back out.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave_the_SS
Ok so I drive a 2000 camaro SS A4.
Mods are as follows
Bbk intake
Bbk tb
Walboro 255
Ms3
3600 stall (4l60E)
3.73 gears
Long tubes
Lm1
Ory

My want to go carb is because I'm tired of paying a tuner to get the car going. Not to mention where I live the closest tuner id trust to tune my car is 2+ hrs away. Also the fact that with the ms3 the last tuner didn't do such a good job and it idles like **** (it dies at idle) or when coming to a stop. Granted I know nothing of how to tune a carb or anything but I would think that tuning a carb would be a lot easier then tuning efi.

So what do u guys think should I carb or should I not? Are there any advantages over carb vs efi. I only drive my car a few months out of the year. 4-5 months at that plus she's just going to be a track rat/ sunny day toy

I would try and find a great tuner even if you have to drive further. most tuners will do touch-ups and mild changes free after the dyno tune. Of course you may have to schedule a appointment. But a really good tuner will get you where you want the first time.

If your planning a lot of cam changes and experimenting with multiple combinations... then carb will be easier for you in the long run.

HP should be about the same... favoring the carb on the top end.
Torque and drivabilty will favor a well tuned efi set-up.

The bold tells me you've already factored in the wiper delete.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To carb or not to carb?