Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Help! combo way off.. I think

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! combo way off.. I think

66 chevelle customer bought with a 2002 carbed ls1 with vic.jr. 770 holley , edelbrock timing control . this thing is a PIG! 160 cranking pressure and 10" vac. was told it was a "525" cam. lots of lope 700r4 336 gear . the guy had #6 pill in it when it was delivered and it runs better with no pill.(defult?)idles at 1100 and when u drop it in gear it stalls most of the time. power brakes are suffering also. New to these motors and Im telling you this thing couldnt pull the hat off my head. installed new plugs and it ran much better but stills a pig.ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the problems. I think you will find a lot of guys in here that will be glad to share ideas with you on what to look for.

66 Chevelle is a great car and is very much like mine. But, it sounds like you are having a much different experience than I had when my car first hit the road. It could be a lot of little things or one big thing.

The first question I have is what kind of torque converter is in the car? Does it have a high stall? How big?

The next thing is that the cam is a mystery at this point. Not knowing what it is will make it impossible to eliminate it as the main source of your aggravation. The wrong camshaft could absolutely account for a rough idle and poor power.

The high idle can be few different things or a combination of things. Most common of course is a vacuum leak. Another common problem is too much timing. Both of those can cause a high idle that tends to stall when put in gear.

You had said that you have the "#6 pill" in your ignition box. Most guys in this section will frown on the Edelbrock ignition control unit. The reason is that it does not allow for a custom timing curve like the MSD 6010 and 6012 units. This can be problematic as many times the Edelbrock timing control unit has too much timing for certain engine combinations. Unlike the Edelbrock unit, the MSD unit is virtually infinitely adjustable and plugs into a laptop for fine tuning.

What all have your tried to remedy the problems so far?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Teching In

New set of plugs and tuned the carb. dont know for sure but converter sure feels stock.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Tallmadgeautomotive
New set of plugs and tuned the carb. dont know for sure but converter sure feels stock.
In general I think a stock torque converter with a lumpy cam is a pain in the rear to drive. This can also make for a pig in the performance department too.

Has your customer expressed to you what they want from the car? Are they looking for a performance hot rod or just a nice driving classic?
Old 07-14-2014, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to wonder if the 525 isn't referring to the lift. I wonder if its a ASA cam. I doubt its the HOT cam but both of those are 525 lift.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Teching In

He wants a reliable driver. car sounds great with factory manifolds, h pipe into 2 mini flowmasters with tail pipes. I am going to pick up a msd 6010 or 6012 on my way to work tommorro. I hate not knowing where the timing is. Car has no torque and I am thinking about putting in a stock ls6 cam,performer rpm manifold and playing with the timing.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Old School Heavy

That sounds like a great plan. With a stock torque converter that Performer RPM will be a huge inprovement.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Teching In

maybe this cam
http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts...make/chevrolet
Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tallmadgeautomotive

The Zones "cam of doom"
... Good choice.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Old School Heavy

Yep. Zones loves those little Eddy cams. I would toss a 2500-3000 stall behind it though. If you are going to leave the stock stall, it will likely drive much better with the LS6 cam.

Zones posting tire roasting videos in this thread in 3.....2........1....

Quick Reply: Help! combo way off.. I think