Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

what do you think? Right direction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think? Right direction?

So I've gotten my hands on a good set of 3.73s to toss in over the 3.23s currently in it.. And I'm planning a 3-3500 stall at the same time.
Will be running a 255/55/16 out back and the car weighs 3200 with me in it..

Now I plan on this being a weekend warrior with some street time.. So I'm wondering where an estimated et might be for it? I figure if i'm goign to have the motor out to replace the seals that blew out and put the stall in I might do some other upgrades... Mostly iM just second guessing all parts as of now

5.3 Lm7 honed and decked
stock rotating assembly with new bearings and rings
243 heads milled down .030
231/239@50 .617/.624 113+4 And patriot double spring kit up top
Vic Jr with a mech 750

Tuning has gone pretty well its got power all over but pulls the best over 4k (not surprised, what I wanted) And I do have a zex hair sray kit in the closet for later down the road... I'm just wondering if this is an overall solid "sounding" combination.. Or if you guys would've done anything differently?? or maybe have any tips for the future!!!

All comments are welcome!! thanks guys!!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:05 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cam is very large for a 5.3 and the lsa is not ideal for a carb set up. Also.going to need way more gear and stall for it to leave hard at all.

If you plan to keep your cam then its gear/stall change time!

8" 4500+ stall
4.30 gears

Car will fly with those two mods
Old 07-20-2014, 04:15 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

A 2216 edelbrock would work better than that cam. A custom grind would get the best for what you want but that will be a fun ride.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thats what I was thinking as well... A custom cam is certainly in the plans for future, but since i screwed up and didnt get one to start with, im stuck with that for now i think.. unless itll end up better off with just a better cam and that gear and stall...

My issue is I dont want to make this thing horrid to drive on the street so thats why i was trying to stay somewhat small on the stall and gears...

what do you all think the best route to go from here would be?? I havnt put the stall or gears in yet... but Im leaning more towards a different cam.. and possibly porting the heads out while im at it...
Old 07-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

just saw the recomend on the stall and gears... my bad
with a custom cam, Probly have tick make one up as they seem to be well liked on here.. what gear and stall would you all think then?
Id rather just do it right the first time (or second now....) then keep swapping all the way through...
Old 07-20-2014, 08:04 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

What Trans? A 4000 converter is no big deal on the street. 3.73s with a 3 speed but 4.10s are great for a overdrive. Will help you hit a better 60 foot.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by irocguy
So I've gotten my hands on a good set of 3.73s to toss in over the 3.23s currently in it.. And I'm planning a 3-3500 stall at the same time.
Will be running a 255/55/16 out back and the car weighs 3200 with me in it..

Now I plan on this being a weekend warrior with some street time.. So I'm wondering where an estimated et might be for it? I figure if i'm goign to have the motor out to replace the seals that blew out and put the stall in I might do some other upgrades... Mostly iM just second guessing all parts as of now

5.3 Lm7 honed and decked
stock rotating assembly with new bearings and rings
243 heads milled down .030
231/239@50 .617/.624 113+4 And patriot double spring kit up top
Vic Jr with a mech 750

Tuning has gone pretty well its got power all over but pulls the best over 4k (not surprised, what I wanted) And I do have a zex hair sray kit in the closet for later down the road... I'm just wondering if this is an overall solid "sounding" combination.. Or if you guys would've done anything differently?? or maybe have any tips for the future!!!

All comments are welcome!! thanks guys!!
If it were mine, I would change to this cam:
227/235 110+3
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...1-ls6-engines/
There are not a lot of shelf cams that are optimal for a carbed LS engine with a Victor Jr. The one I listed is.
I would also go to a 4000-4500 RPM converter and 4.10 to 4.56 gear for optimal performance, but with a good 4000-4500 converter, it will still run great with 3.73s as long as the tire is not too tall.

Last edited by speedtigger; 07-20-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome!! Im really leaning hard towards a custom cam spec'd for it, before id but another off the shelf one... I'd just hate to keep dumping money at it and not see the results i want..

For the trans it currently has a 700r4 in it with a shift kit but thats it.. Not expecting it to live very long once track days start coming.. I have been planning on a 4l80e conversion, just saving up to do it.. Might have actually found one to start with just the other day..

Is 4k stall really that forgiving? My biggest fear with going that high is the heat from around town type driving.. ideally id like to be able to drive it to the track, throw a few good pases down (11-10ish) and then drive it home.. but whether thats really reasonable or not im not aware yet...

Gearing is another obstacle for now as I'm somewhat limited by the the 7.5" 10 bolt.. and I really dont have the means to swing both a 9" and 80e swap at the same time....

So with everything on the table like this what would you guys all recomend going to and starting on first? cam? trans? Rear? I'm not expecting great passes out of it yet this year.. but a healthy quick street car for this season would be fun..

This is all in the Iroc btw, any tips for track building are welcomed!!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I normally always recommend custom cams for single plane combinations. Mainly because there are just no readily available off the shelf camshafts other than a select few for single planes.

That said, our SNS Stage 2 cam that SpeedTigger posted is a perfect camshaft for a carb'd 5.3. The valve events just work for that combo. Even though it was never designed or meant for that application, your engine doesn't know that. The engine doesn't care how the camshaft is marketed, just that it is either correct or incorrect for the combination.

Quick Reply: what do you think? Right direction?