Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

6010 msd problem

Old 07-22-2014, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6010 msd problem

Alright guys I was driving stock carburetor 5.3 one day and I notice it was rocking when I was stop at the red light 4 about a minute. I got home change the plugs amd check the carb. Next day it was doing it again. On sunday I had the chance to look at it and it running a lil rich when it starts to surge. I connected the lap top and I notice that my timing degree was moving up and down as in advancing and retarding . it will go 5,20,30,10,15,25 etc… even tho my timing is out with no map advance

If I tap on the gas and in clearing it out it goes back to normal and stay lock at 15 degrees till another minute it will start surging again.

I called msd tech support and they just brush me off.

Anbody had this problem bwfore.

If I driving it wont do it. Only when im stop.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Could it be a carb issue and not the msd? Is the idle timing feature enabled?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nwayne
Could it be a carb issue and not the msd? Is the idle timing feature enabled?

I dont think its carb bcuz if it was the timing degree wouldnt change I think. My carb has b cleaned and never really gave me problems.

And yeah its enabled
Old 07-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SuperSlowCamaro
I dont think its carb bcuz if it was the timing degree wouldnt change I think. My carb has b cleaned and never really gave me problems.

And yeah its enabled
It depends on how your timing is set. If the carb is the issue and the timing curve is set say from 5* at 0 rpm to 30* 1000 at idle, then it's just just following the curve as the idle dips. I've also heard of people having the same issue when the idle control feature is enabled.
What's your timing curve look like?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SuperSlowCamaro

And yeah its enabled
You need to disable the timing idle control. That feature should be used in fuel injected models, and is preferred during that operation. Per MSD, "This is a function of an ECU controlled system and should be enabled when used with an OEM EFI application." Try disabling it and see how it goes, the rest of your timing won't be affected.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6010 msd problem