Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Just bought a motor and could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought a motor and could use some help

Ok here's the deal just picked up a ls1 originally out of a 2000 camaro and a 4l80e transmission. It has a Vic jr intake and holley 650 double pumper (part # 4777), was also told the heads were ported and polished ( has arp head bolts so I'm guessing they have actually been off and may be ported ) still waiting to see if he can find the exact specs on the cam but was told it has a 585 lift. I can not verify if the heads are done or the cam specs but I trust the guys word ( dealt with him a lot on grand national parts ) but I want to run a dual plane and maybe a vac secondary carb as this will be more of a cruiser/ street car as opposed to a high rpm screamer. Not knowing the cam specs should I just leave it as is or would I be ok switching the intake and carb, should I even switch the carb or should I just have this one rebuilt ? I know you guys prob need more info to go off of just let me know what I'm missing other than the cam specs.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is pretty easy to rebuild a carb. Almost no reason not to in your case. Hopefully the unit has been dialed in for your specific motor and will get you running with minimal trouble.

Having said that, that is a fair sized cam. With a single plane intake and ported heads it could probably benefit from more carb.

I say run what you have and think about upgrading as you get some experience with it.

Quick Reply: Just bought a motor and could use some help