Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

carbed ls1 ?

Old 10-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbed ls1 ?

So i was wondering where u guys would start with carb setting wise on a combo like mine. Its a 99z stock bottom end cam specs are 630/589 lift 231/240 duration on a 110+3 has a mildly set of ported 853's with a super vic and brand new holley ultra double pumper ive played around with squirters so far up to 37 stock was 28 primary and 31 secondary ive tried everything with the 28/31/35 and 37 in the primary and messed around a little with the secondaries also changed the stock pump cam setting from 1-2 and cant seem to get the breakup out of the hole and threw light cruising you can hear it miss/hessitate a little we tried a 37 in the front squirter today and it missed and broke up just trying to cruise down the road bad, put the 31 back in the front and seemed to get alot better but still has light cruising hickups and stalling it up to 2k and try to leave car still breaks up im new to carbs and a few people i talked to said the jetting should be close out of the box and to mess with cams and squirters for now just figured id get some more insight from here thanks
Old 10-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

That looks like a pretty good set up you have there. Nice looking cam specs for what you are up to too.

As for your carb, by the time you get it to where you like it, you will likely have learned more about carbs than you ever wanted to know. LOL

Here are a few things to give you a frame of reference:

The accelerator pump, cam and squirters are for transitions only. As you open the throttle they add additional fuel for a short period of time to overcome the lean condition that is created until the boosters can start delivering fuel via the main jets and power valve. So, if you have a lean condition at a light cruise, the accelerator pump system cannot help you as it is not responsible for constant fuel delivery.

To solve your light throttle cruise and/or light throttle lean "tip-in" problem you will typically have to look to the idle circuits. The first and easiest thing that you can do is turn out the idle mixture screws a little to richen the idle. However, this can often lead to an overly rich idle that burns the eyes and blackens the plugs. If this turns out to be the case, or if this does not solve the problem, increasing the size of the idle fuel restrictors a few numbers often solves this problem. It should be noted that you typically will need to increase the size of the idle air bleed in proportion to not upset your higher speed cruise air fuel ratios.

Before you do any of this though, double check to make sure your float bowl levels are set correctly. Many problems can come from that simple oversight. I tell you from experience.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by speedtigger
That looks like a pretty good set up you have there. Nice looking cam specs for what you are up to too.

As for your carb, by the time you get it to where you like it, you will likely have learned more about carbs than you ever wanted to know. LOL

Here are a few things to give you a frame of reference:

The accelerator pump, cam and squirters are for transitions only. As you open the throttle they add additional fuel for a short period of time to overcome the lean condition that is created until the boosters can start delivering fuel via the main jets and power valve. So, if you have a lean condition at a light cruise, the accelerator pump system cannot help you as it is not responsible for constant fuel delivery.

To solve your light throttle cruise and/or light throttle lean "tip-in" problem you will typically have to look to the idle circuits. The first and easiest thing that you can do is turn out the idle mixture screws a little to richen the idle. However, this can often lead to an overly rich idle that burns the eyes and blackens the plugs. If this turns out to be the case, or if this does not solve the problem, increasing the size of the idle fuel restrictors a few numbers often solves this problem. It should be noted that you typically will need to increase the size of the idle air bleed in proportion to not upset your higher speed cruise air fuel ratios.

Before you do any of this though, double check to make sure your float bowl levels are set correctly. Many problems can come from that simple oversight. I tell you from experience.
Lol id rather kno to much than not enough just sucks not knowing anything about carbs i do kno the float bowl levels were good a tad over half the window and we were 1.5 turns out on the mixture screw and tried going 1/2 a turn more and it would def burn your eyes the rest of what you said is a foreign language to me at the moment lol
Old 10-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

It is just a language you have to learn. Here is a thread for you to check out:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/carburete...cd-tuners.html
Old 10-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by speedtigger
It is just a language you have to learn. Here is a thread for you to check out:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/carburete...cd-tuners.html
Thanks and wow lotsa reading i got the jist of some of the stuff you talk about