Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Bout ready to throw this laptop across the room!!! Still can't link to my 6010..

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bout ready to throw this laptop across the room!!! Still can't link to my 6010..

After working on this stupid thing for two nights, one usb-to-serial from Radio Shack, and on from Iogear, I still can not get this computer to link to my 6010. I, unfortunately, have Windows 8.1. I have went thru all the steps on the MSD site for the 8.1 system. Have disabled driver signature enforcement. My computer is a little different on the last few steps when it comes to updating driver. I can find my serial adapter and my PC recognizes that it has the latest driver. I have went to Iogear's site and downloaded the proper driver for my PC. No luck. Have tried swapping Com Ports. Have went in to device manager and it shows Com 4. Will not show product connected. Apparently I'm too simple minded for such a task. Who has Windows 8.1 and a 6010? I need caveman step-by-step instructions. Help!!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:20 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Cannot find a older lap top to use? That would be my solution.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

8.1 here and had a few issues as well. READ HERE
Trying to remember what I did off the top of my head.

First, let me ask...does the MSD have power/key on when you're trying to connect

I have the Gigawear USB/Serial wire from Radio Shack also and loaded the CD that came with the adapter. 8.1 Compatible

After plugging in the MSD to the laptop, on MSD page (where you write your curves) it has port in top left side with the drop down boxes...click port and then on refresh.
You may also need to try a few different USB ports on laptop ?

Last edited by Doug G; 10-26-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even my old laptop needed to have the serial port adaptor plugged into it BEFORE booting it up, or it would not recognize it
Old 10-27-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Made any progress? Too bad you live so far away. I'd let you borrow the laptop we use for car tuning. It connects to the 6010 in a heart beat
Old 10-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the same problem. I bought the Tripp-Lite Keyspan USA-19HS from Amazon. Installed the driver, plugged it in and it recognized it as port 4 right away. So, it would seem some of the older adapters just plain do not work with Windows 8.

Last edited by speedtigger; 10-27-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I got an older XP laptop yesterday. Working on it now. Tried hooking to it late last night with no luck. Fixing to try again in just a few minutes.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Alright, this sucks. Windows XP pc. ProData installed. Iogear usb and driver installed. Ignition switch on. Nothing. Took my Gigaware adapter. Pulled pin 9. Installed driver. Hooked up. Ignition on. Nothing. Left everything plugged up and switch on. Restarted PC. Checked Com port. Com8. Com8 on MSD. Nothing. This sucks. Help.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Should I turn the box on first, then adapter to box, then plug usb in, then open program? Does the procedure order matter? If so, whats correct?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My cheap "Prolific" cable on Win7 doesn't need to be rebooted, just plug it in and you get the ding-dong sound of a new device. No special connection order either. I see from your first post that Winblows recognizes the cable and port, so the problem is with the MSD box or software. Are you sure you have 12v with the key on? Good grounds? Stranger things have been known to happen...
Old 10-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by S10xGN
My cheap "Prolific" cable on Win7 doesn't need to be rebooted, just plug it in and you get the ding-dong sound of a new device. No special connection order either. I see from your first post that Winblows recognizes the cable and port, so the problem is with the MSD box or software. Are you sure you have 12v with the key on? Good grounds? Stranger things have been known to happen...
You have Windows 7. I had Windows 7 on my old laptop and my old Radio Shack cable worked with it too. Then I got Windows 8 and the cable no longer worked. I had to get a new cable for it to work. There is stuff on the web explaining why. But anyhoo, it took a cable for me to get it to work.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never had nor will have Win8. Ya'll should read this article, just came in today. It's amazing what driver writers are doing now days! This particular driver would look at the chip in the peripheral to see if it's legit or counterfeit. then it overwrites some code on 'feit chips and permanently disables them...
Old 10-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Old School Heavy

I've never had nor will have Win8. Ya'll should read this article, just came in today. It's amazing what driver writers are doing now days! This particular driver would look at the chip in the peripheral to see if it's legit or counterfeit. then it overwrites some code on 'feit chips and permanently disables them...
You will never have Windows 9 either.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I read that link you posted Russ, BIG BROTHER is watching
Old 10-27-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by southernsmoker
Should I turn the box on first, then adapter to box, then plug usb in, then open program? Does the procedure order matter? If so, whats correct?
the problem is with the MSD box or software. Are you sure you have 12v with the key on? Good grounds? Stranger things have been known to happen...
Yah, sounds like the issue is w/ the MSD. You don't have one of the pre-programmed modules plugged in do you? (white 2 pronged)
Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Teching In

No module plugged in. I know that they override any ProData file. I have read and read here and on other forums and have done everything that I have read. I am going to call MSD the next available evening and see what they have to say. I am going to re-run the grounds to make sure but I do not think the problem will be there. When I plug the Iogear in to the box and the PC, the indicator light flashes as if it has picked up signal from the box. It is a brighter flash than when the usb on the pc recognizes the com port. It would be my luck to get a junk box that has been in the box for almost 2 years since purchase date.

Quick Reply: Bout ready to throw this laptop across the room!!! Still can't link to my 6010..