Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LM7 5.3 Carb build, future blow-thru

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LM7 5.3 Carb build, future blow-thru

Greetings all,

I made a thread here a few months ago, but things have changed significantly so here we are with a new thread.

I've been doing extensive research over the last few weeks and have made the decision that I want to build the car in two stages.

The engine is a 5.3 LM7 with 128k miles on it out of a 2004 Silverado. It is a full drop out motor. All parts that I won't be using in my build will be sold. It came with a 4L60E but I also have a 700R4 from my previous build laying around.

I want a fun street-warrior. From what I've seen, a cam, intake, carb, and MSD controller are all that's needed to take an otherwise-stock 5.3 north of 400hp. This amount of power, in my opinion, is already enough to be extremely fun in the '87 Volvo 740 that it will be going into.

That said, I've yet to find a build thread of someone doing this build that has a full shopping list.

So, I'm making this thread to get suggestions, as well as to ask a few questions I have that I haven't found answers for yet. They are as follows...

-- Camshaft. I want something that has a relatively aggressive idle and exhaust note but won't fall on its face if I decide to turbocharge the car next year. I was thinking a 226/226 Comp Cams grind? Any suggestions here?

-- Carburetor. I have my eyes on a Holley 750; but I'm open to suggestions for carbs that deliver good performance and are easily tune-able. There's external jetting systems out there but not much info on them in this kind of application. Any suggestions?

-- Intake. Dual plane or single plane? I'm looking at the dual-planes for the better torque curve but single plane, if I'm understanding correctly, will perform better in boosted situations.

-- Transmission. Should I use the 700R4 or 4L60E? If I use the 4L60E what kind of external controllers are available that would work in this kind of application? I'm planning on getting a ~2600rpm stall or so.

-- MSD Ignition controller. I'm assuming this comes with the wiring needed and I won't need the stock ECU and harness? I'm looking forward to laptop-tuning.

Anything else I missed or am overlooking that needs to be taken into account?

I'm sure there are dozens of questions still to be asked, but I figure starting off with these basics will get the wheels turning in my head!

Thanks fellas.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:03 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Moved to carb section

Quick Reply: LM7 5.3 Carb build, future blow-thru