Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Not an LS swap, but I still wanted to share with my carbed friends

Old 01-18-2015, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not an LS swap, but I still wanted to share with my carbed friends

This is the beginning of what I hope is a great learning, and bonding experience for me, my father, and my son.

Me and my dad originally restored MY 63 valiant in the same barn, using the same tools that were going to do a lot of the work on my sons 63 Valiant.

Heres some pics of my 63 and how its set up today. Its been a 22 year journey going through about 5 different incarnations.

We found a great deal on a roller set up for a 318/727, but like all good stories this one has a little history.

We originally started this process over 2 years ago when we bought a 1965 Valiant V100. The price was right, but the car was ROUGH. Floors were junk, quarters were junk, trunk floors were junk, it was just.................junk. But for the price, we could afford to do the metal fabrication to make it solid again, and still have less into it than what I could find a solid car for.

My son was only 10 when we bought the 65 so it was no big hurry to get going on it. We tinkered with it, and had it running and driving shortly. It has a later model 225 and a 3 spd manual and runs really good.

I had some work to finish on my 63, and my 97 Camaro SS, so the 65 went on the back burner. Heres some pics of the 65.

Upon searching, we found a completely rust free Arizona roller cheap. The car was cleaner than anything I had ever seen. For what we paid we couldn't afford to do the metal work on the 65, and, this car was the TWIN to my car. They are both Signet 200 2 door hardtop coupes. Heres some pics of how the car sits as of now.

The previous owner was really excited to see it go to a family that was going to do something with it.

The car came with
66 formula s radiator
66 formula s exhaust manifolds
later model 727 and 318 converter
Schumacher conversion mounts for the 318
318 electronic dist
2 MP electronic ignition boxes (gold, and stock)
and many other goodies.

I still have the stock hood and deck lid from my car (I had one off carbon fiber parts made for mine that are DZUS on), so that (IMHO) HIDEOUS hood scoop is GONE. Jason wants to keep the hood and put a HEMI Dart scoop over the hole...............I like that idea. Our first plan of attack is scuffing through the 4 or 5 layers of paint and getting down to bare metal, than priming it and bringing it back to my house to start modifying things for the engine swap.

We are doing the paint and bodywork at my dads place, the same place that we originally did my car 22 years ago. The 3 of us are really looking forward to getting started on this project. Thanks for reading. Eric and Jason.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Some more pics of the boys car since bringing it home.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

As of right now were going to keep it simple, as to keep my son interested in the project.

Plans call for a used 318 bolted to the existing 727 trans for a nice cruiser. My uncle has a couple of used 318s from the mid 80s that run well and should fit the bill.

Thanks for reading, Eric L
Old 01-18-2015, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Dude your car is Freakin Bad ****. I can only imagine how your sons will turn out. Can't wait to see the process. What a find too. It was like it was meant to be. Good luck and enjoy. Built several things with my son. It doesn't get any better than that. But then again it does. You will have your Dad there as well. That has to be the best.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Dude your car is Freakin Bad ****. I can only imagine how your sons will turn out. Can't wait to see the process. What a find too. It was like it was meant to be. Good luck and enjoy. Built several things with my son. It doesn't get any better than that. But then again it does. You will have your Dad there as well. That has to be the best.
Yeah, all 3 of us are really geeked to get started on it.

We are going go get it in finished primer at my dads place, than I will bring it home and test fit and "properly" fit the 727 trans in the car, and than blow it all apart and bring it back to dads for paint.

Its Jasons first real experience with a complete build, so were going with the "easy peasy" approach, lol. Thanks for the compliments, Eric L
Old 01-18-2015, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Easy peasy huh. Lol That's what our car started out to be. Junk yard motor and all. Yeah well as usual. We got way carried away and now it has turned into a monster. Lol You Know. Oh we can slap it together and have it out by the end of winter we said. Well three winters later we are still working on it. But enjoying the build very much. We will definitely have ours out this year though. Hopefully Lol
Old 01-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is an awesome story! I am always glad to read stories like these. Good luck with the build. Any time you can have family time is time well spent.

I am selling a fresh, .040 over 360 with under 1K miles pretty cheap. It's just sitting lonely in my garage and would work great in that car. Long trip to MI, though!
Old 01-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Very cool. I look forward to following along.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by topbrent
That is an awesome story! I am always glad to read stories like these. Good luck with the build. Any time you can have family time is time well spent.

I am selling a fresh, .040 over 360 with under 1K miles pretty cheap. It's just sitting lonely in my garage and would work great in that car. Long trip to MI, though!
Yeah, I think shipping would cost as much as the engine itself, lol. Eric L
Old 01-18-2015, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

This is going GREAT !!!

Only wish my dad did something like this with me as a kid
Old 01-18-2015, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doug G
This is going GREAT !!!

Only wish my dad did something like this with me as a kid
We cant rewrite the past buddy, but we can learn from it and apply it to our future.

Your doing a great job with your daughter and keeping her involved and out of trouble. Eric L
Old 01-19-2015, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Prorac1
We cant rewrite the past buddy, but we can learn from it and apply it to our future.

Your doing a great job with your daughter and keeping her involved and out of trouble. Eric L
TY, and I'm trying

A 14y.o. girl is pretty hard to tear away from her phone

Look in her hands

Last edited by Doug G; 01-19-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Awesome!! I have a soft spot for those cars. But really who are we kidding we all know that one day it will be LS powered as well lol.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 9 year old garage helper, so I know how great it feels to pass on the love of cars.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Teching In

The blue car is awesome . I used to ride in one with a Mexican throw blanket covering the the front seat. "It needed two" because the seat spring's were always stabbing at us. Good luck with build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not an LS swap, but I still wanted to share with my carbed friends