Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Single Plane Intakes

Old 05-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Plane Intakes

Anyone use the Holley,Victor JR, or GMPP intake? I'm trying to decide/compare between them.

Last edited by New2LS; 05-27-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holley is a bit cheaper and have heard of some casting issues and made in China . Gm op are nice but overpriced . Best bang for the buck/quality is an edelbrock unit.. Nothing like opening that box and seeing a made in the USA badge on the intake
Old 05-28-2016, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks I like the "mid-rise" of the Holley, and I agree that the GMPP is too expensive. Im sure the Victor Jr will be alittle much for my build, but nothing looks better than a high-rise single plane intake between the valve covers...and its made in the USA to boot!
Old 05-28-2016, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Default China

My Vic says China on it. From edelbrock. Both of them!
Old 05-28-2016, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Well there goes that...Damnit! Lol thanks
Old 05-28-2016, 06:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The GM unit came with the crate motor. If you have hood issues it is the shortest of all available manifolds. Someone posted pictures before.

Seems like a nice unit. I have no idea where it was made.

Edlebrock had some casting issues back in the early days. They made right on them though. Probably cleared up when they started sourcing them overseas, LOL
Old 05-28-2016, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OkieDave
My Vic says China on it. From edelbrock. Both of them!
Counterfeit. This is why you don't buy this intake brand new for half the price off eBay.
Out of curiosity, did it have all the "proudly made in the USA" paperwork inside the box?

I can assure all of you that every Edelbrock part I have bought off of big name sites (S&K, Summit, Jegs) have been built in the USA. I just bought my last Victor Jr about 2 months ago and it is made in the US.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Hmm Very interesting...didnt realize they were even counterfeiting automotive intakes these days. Does this go for an authentic Holley intake too?
Old 05-28-2016, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

I run a Vic Jr. But have had casting issues on a previous edelbrock intake. I'm an American and love this country but sadly " Made in U.S.A." Doesn't hold the prestige it used to
Old 05-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
I run a Vic Jr. But have had casting issues on a previous edelbrock intake. I'm an American and love this country but sadly " Made in U.S.A." Doesn't hold the prestige it used to
Truthfully, I took a pretty good look at this ls1 carb Victor Jr manifold. All of the runners looked fantastic as well as any machined surfaces BUT the outside of this manifold has a few spots that were casted a little rough (pitted or grooved). It's only cosmetic on the outside but I was a little disappointed with it.

Their are probably very few things that are "made in the USA" that offer a higher quality of craftsmanship anymore but I will stand behind American R&D rather than giving money to the company overseas that ripped off the design.

As far as counterfeiting goes, they rip off everything imaginable. I heard rumors about MSD going bankrupt a few years back because of it. Apparently, some company in China produced a clone of one of MSD's ignition box and they were failing rather quickly. I had gotten some email from MSD about it and how to spot a fake box (it was something like MSD wires were red, blue, black and white while this knock off was red, blue, green and white) but visually they were identical and we're even coming in boxes identical to MSD.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

A lot of these companies are owned by Holley now, including MSD, NOS, Weiand, Diablosport, Mr. Gasket and a few others. Hopefully they can pull resources together and make these companies even better which is great for the car scene
Old 05-28-2016, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zraffz
Their are probably very few things that are "made in the USA" that offer a higher quality of craftsmanship anymore.
Weapons baby. Fighter jets, TOW missiles, tanks, etc.

Go to youtube and type in "Syria TOW missile". Some great footage there. Will make you proud to be an American.

I couldn't tell if Eddy products are made here or sourced overseas. The pictures of a vic jr on JEGS doesn't show any source countries cast into it and Eddy's website doesn't say one way or the other. Maybe they outsourced.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Weapons baby. Fighter jets, TOW missiles, tanks, etc.

I couldn't tell if Eddy products are made here or sourced overseas. The pictures of a vic jr on JEGS doesn't show any source countries cast into it and Eddy's website doesn't say one way or the other. Maybe they outsourced.
I just got a Victor Jr 2 months ago... defiantly made in the usa.

As far as weapons go, Israel makes some pretty sick stuff too!
Old 05-28-2016, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

I just read a Hot Rod dyno shoot out of different intakes including the single plane Holley and Edelbrock intakes. The Holley made 24 more foot pounds of torque in the mid range with only 3 horsepower less than the Vic Jr.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HighLiner
I just read a Hot Rod dyno shoot out of different intakes including the single plane Holley and Edelbrock intakes. The Holley made 24 more foot pounds of torque in the mid range with only 3 horsepower less than the Vic Jr.
Thanks
Old 05-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/

For those interested.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:43 AM
9 Second Club

I wouldn't read to much into that test for the carb intakes. The cam in that thing is all wrong for carb. 113 ICL with 109 ICL then put a huge split on a cathedral port engine killing torque even more. It makes those efi intakes look great though, mission accomplished.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

I was sold a cam with a 111+2 LSA for my carb project. I hope it's not going to be a problem.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HighLiner
I was sold a cam with a 111+2 LSA for my carb project. I hope it's not going to be a problem.
Im not an expert by any means, buy Ive read that smaller LSA is better for carbed setups so Im sure youll be just fine...let us know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Single Plane Intakes