Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

msd 6010 backfires sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd 6010 backfires sometimes?

I built a carb 5.3 for my 92 Camaro, basically stock other than cam/supporting mods. I'm using the 6010 box, no map sensor.

When I first installed it and wired it up it fired right up and sounded great, that was Thursday. Saturday I went back to the garage to work on it some more and when I tried starting it it backfired out of the carb, I was using the #6 pill, zeroed out the map sensor but the cam sensor failure alert came up, so I went and got a new one and replaced it, same thing. I pulled the #6 pill and put the #4 in, fired right up and sounded great again (still showing cam sensor failure.) I let it run and idle for a minute or so and shut it off, tried starting it and it back fired again. Switched pills again just to see, same result. Runs fine the first time, backfires the next.

I switched coil wiring harness with some old ones I had laying around, the box is grounded directly to the battery, 12v to ignition.

I'm starting to think it's the box? I've went over all the wiring multiple times, checked all the plugs, not sure what else to do.

anybody else have this issue?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem is no signal from the cam sensor. Without it you have a 50-50 chance of it starting up with the right timing or a full 180° out of phase. Exactly the symptoms you are describing.

My guess is an issue in the wiring. There is a way you can check your cam sensor output voltage using a multimeter. Try a search.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gen 3 and gen 4 have wires switched on cam sensor . could be it if you haven't checked.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Teching In

I'm having similar problems..... Just changed the cam sensor with no improvement.... What's the voltage at the sensor 12 and 5 ???
Old 08-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rocky Lake Kustom
I'm having similar problems..... Just changed the cam sensor with no improvement.... What's the voltage at the sensor 12 and 5 ???

ya 12v and 5-8 on the signal wire
Old 08-26-2016, 07:56 AM
Teching In

well I sent my box back to msd and it tested good, checked all my grounds, getting 12v to the cam, crank, box. Battery is as the 13.5, only thing I'm noticing is my cam sensor signal is at 9v with the key on, but drops to 0 when cranking and still throws the code.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you pull off the harness and measure the resistance of the cam wires (end to end) and the resistance between the wires and ground/other wires?

Might be a bad connection or something sorting to ground.

Quick Reply: msd 6010 backfires sometimes?