Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Should i stick with carb or go efi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Just my experience, my first LS conversion was a 6.0, I went with a carb, intake, MSD 6010-EFI scared me, lol
I had a string of Procharged cars, and had a built CSU blowthru carb-the setup was easy, easy to tune, and ran bullet proof. My next build, another 6.0, LS3 heads, intake, 90MM TB, Procharger, Holley HP setup-what a fn nightmare, I bought into the plug and play, spent months try to do it myself, finally got someone to remote into my laptop to help me.
Now I got braver, another 6.0, Holley 4150 intake, 90 MM adapter, 90 MM TB, turbo, Holley HP-much better this time, I actually used the tune from my first FI experiment, then tweaked it for what the engine wants-I love the datalog feature, and a lot of the other features that kill the engine if boost or something else gets out of whack.
But, a lot depends on what you have on the engine-they all need fuel pumps, so that's a wash-stock ECU, harness could be one of the cheapest for EFI, then Megasquirt, then Maybe the Holley HP $1500-1600)
I scored a GM 4 bar intake for $95, $250 for a good used 750 Holley, and the MSD is like $350? so for under $700 I could have one running-If you scored a comp harness and ECU for say $200, added in someone to rem Vats, etc, modded the harness yourself, prob the cheapest
After all that, I think my carbed/Procharged setup ran the best, just a diff feel than FI, lol
Old 10-10-2016, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done both with the LS1 in my boat (currently EFI with Super Vic EFI and AccuFab. I need to pull the engine this winter to freshen it up, I will put it back with a carb.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Runs phenomenally on my 2500# manual trans car. I have the GMPP single plane cause that is what GM shipped with the crate LS2. It pulls cleanly in 4th gear from 1000 RPM
No ****? OP - are you planning on keeping that stock cam? Seems like you're leaving a lot on the table with what SEEMS like a mis-matched combo?

Asking this question is like going to a Yankees vs Redsox playoff game and asking which is the better team to random people in the stands. Gonna get a bunch of this answer, a bunch of that answer, and a bunch of F you! answers. Just like here on tech.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
No ****? OP - are you planning on keeping that stock cam? Seems like you're leaving a lot on the table with what SEEMS like a mis-matched combo?

Asking this question is like going to a Yankees vs Redsox playoff game and asking which is the better team to random people in the stands. Gonna get a bunch of this answer, a bunch of that answer, and a bunch of F you! answers. Just like here on tech.
no i do plan on swapping cam and heads over this winter i think im gonna go wit the cam motion hot street carb cam

http://store.cammotion.com/mobile/hot-street-carbureted-camshaft
Old 10-11-2016, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Lq4ssmontecarlo
no i do plan on swapping cam and heads over this winter i think im gonna go wit the cam motion hot street carb cam

http://store.cammotion.com/mobile/ho...reted-camshaft
Nice choice!

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 225-926-6110Like Us On Facebook!
Old 10-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CAMMOTION PERF
Nice choice!
With this cam and the bump in compression with the 6.0 243 heads what should i be do n roughly in hp?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lq4ssmontecarlo
With this cam and the bump in compression with the 6.0 243 heads what should i be do n roughly in hp?
I have never done or seen a direct comparison to a LQ9 camshaft, but I would think around 75 horsepower or so. It will be dramatic for sure.

~Steven

40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams

Old 10-13-2016, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How hard is that hot street cam on valve springs?

I assume stock LS2 springs won't cut it. You recommend 600 lift behives springs as an option but don't seem to sell those? Are you suggesting something like Pac 1218's ?

Also which of your pushrod options would you recommend with that cam, 0.080 or 0.120 ? Is a certain length a pretty sure bet or better to measure before ordering?
Old 10-13-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

If it ain't broke....
Old 10-14-2016, 03:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
How hard is that hot street cam on valve springs?

I assume stock LS2 springs won't cut it. You recommend 600 lift behives springs as an option but don't seem to sell those? Are you suggesting something like Pac 1218's ?

Also which of your pushrod options would you recommend with that cam, 0.080 or 0.120 ? Is a certain length a pretty sure bet or better to measure before ordering?
This camshaft is designed with very smooth and stable lobes. With this camshaft you can use our .650" or .660" dual valve springs or our PAC 1218 beehive performance replacement valve springs: http://store.cammotion.com/single-beehive-valve-spring

The .080" pushrods are perfect for this application: http://store.cammotion.com/516-x-740...-wall-pushrods

Old 10-17-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

How would that cam work if boost were added in a blow thru setup
Old 10-17-2016, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by forcd ind
How would that cam work if boost were added in a blow thru setup
What are the details of the setup?

Old 10-23-2016, 09:57 AM
9 Second Club

I guess I'm going backwards! I'm going carb on my setup, should be much easier to tune on my end. Now if I was a stock or small cam guy I would have stayed FI but I like to try different things and race my car and tuning it was just a pain for me. Luckly I had Jeramy Fomato tune my car but after doing an LS6 intake, a Fast 92 then a Fast 102 trying cams, heads, trying etc it got to be too much for my lil brain to comprehend.
Cheaper to go FI? I guess for some good street cruisers maybe but all out, cost is about the same. FI results was 10 sec car NA that I could drive anywhere, I'm looking for a 9 sec car NA now but carbed.

Quick Reply: Should i stick with carb or go efi?