Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

msd customer service is a joke

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd customer service is a joke

So i have had my 6010 box on my lq9 for the last year working flawlessly. Never once had an issue. Then3 days ago after not driving my car for a month i went to drive it and the battery was dead. Charged the battery to full and car started right up like normal. About 10 minutes into the drive on the freeway the car started cutting out. Rpms were dropping off then coming back up several times. Finally the car shut off and wouldnt restart. Got the car home and started trying to figure it out. Well last night i discovered i wasnt getting spark. So i made sure all my connections were good. Made sure had a good ground and good voltage to box. Nothing helped. Car would crank but not start. This morning i called msd to see if they had any insight on what to do. There response was "is the motor stock or built up" its built up. they then replied with "that box was designed for a stock LS and a carb. It will not work with a built motor" i told them its been fine for the last year and havnt had any issues til now. He then said "that's not possible. It will not work on the motor you are describing" (heads and cam .030 lq9). I assured him its been doing just fije and there are tons of people using them on built motors. He then informed me that i bought the wrong box and should have bought the msd 6014 which is designed for a built motor. Bullshit. Even though i disagree i asked if i could swap it out for this 6014 box since mine is still under warranty. He said there was nothing they can do. So i hung up. Called summit racing and they are sending me a replacement 6010 box. So thank you summit and **** you msd.

Anyone have issues with their 6010 not supplying spark to the motor?
Old 11-08-2016, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. You will find that many people have had problems with the 6010 box. However, you will also find many that have not had any trouble. Guess it just depends if you are lucky or not. That part about a "built motor" is just a bad excuse on their part. The 6014 box wasn't even available till recently.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be willing to bet if you call MSD back and get a different ***** you will have a different experience. MSD got bought by Holley, I wonder if they have merged the service centers.

Just tell them them the box quit working and it is under warranty. Tell the next ***** it is a stock LQ9

By the way, have you tried hooking a laptop to the box and see what it is doing while cranking? Are you getting a cranking RPM? How about using a 9V battery to trigger a coil to see if they fire OK? Might be power to the coils that is an issue.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Launching!

lol I just went 9.90 at 141 off the trailer with a Msd 6010 that has over 260 hours on it. I guess my motor really is stock then???? LOL glad to hear summit is taking care of it. I do know the boxes are VERY sensitive to bad grounds and Heat, just some options to help you figure it out!
Old 11-08-2016, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Nope. Youre lieing. Not possiblr. Just ask msd. You cant go that fast with that box. Haha

As far as the ground goes. I made sure the ground was good. Even tried a couple different spots. No luck
Old 11-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Sounds like possibly the potting has went bad causing something to come loose inside? who knows... Hey atleast your getting a new one that will be warrantied!
Old 11-08-2016, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Yea hopefully it fixes my issue. Ill update as soon as i get it hooked up.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default IGN-8 vs 6014

We manufactured the IGN-8-x BEFORE My Spark Disappeared could decode EITHER the 24xe/58x Target Wheels.

The most common use is Off Road Racing/Oil Field Equipment (CPS)
The life REQUIREMENT for CPS is 25K hours which we have ALWAYS met.

I DO NOT "pot" the board, I use Conformal Urethane Coating as does Boeing.

Would you like more information ?

Lance
Old 11-09-2016, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

What?
Old 11-09-2016, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

The way they run the spark grounds on that box is not good. Could easily lead to high voltage being fed back into the box if the user has things a bit off. Could easily kill the box. The factory LS stock harness has HV grounds that go to the back of the head. That's how they should have done it.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Just finished putting the new box on. Csr fired right up and stayed running perfectly
Old 11-11-2016, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

Has anyone ever had certain features on their box just quit? Such as their nitrous retard?
Old 11-11-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
Has anyone ever had certain features on their box just quit? Such as their nitrous retard?
Whew. That would suck
Old 11-12-2016, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Curious, when you recharged the Bat. did you disc the MSD box-I always dics elects. when charging a bat, you can get spikes-not saying that's what killed it, but keep in mind next time you need to charge the bat
I don't know who that was at MSD, but tons of guys with modified engines.
Years ago when I first got the 6010, I couldn't fig out the laptop with it, called MSD and talked to a guy named Peter, he spent about 45 mins with me, went above and beyond, most of my problem was not knowing how to get the computer to talk to the MSD, and he new it was a Procharged LS engine (modified), lol

Quick Reply: msd customer service is a joke