Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Air cleaner ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air cleaner ?

I read the recent results in another thread about the dyno comparison of the different intake manifolds, ported, Edelbrock etc, and somewhat related to this I have a question/dilemma. I am putting together a LSX block 454 with LS3 heads,with a FITECH throttle body system and a super victor manifold and a 14x3 air cleaner. Well I am about 1/4 short on hood clearance, could be a little more. Thats even with a cowl induction hood on my 70 Chevelle. Without that extra clearance it would be way too tall.
Anyways I am trying to figure out the best route and one option is a 2x14 air cleaner, which would give me an inch,or maybe another manifold. The 2" air cleaner has me worried about CFM as its the smallest offered in 14". I thought about a victor JR or maybe the single plane GMPP one. Does anyone know if these manifolds are shorter then the Super Victor? I think the Jr is slightly shorter but what about the GMMP, I can t find any specs. And what do you think about the 2" A.C. do you think I will be hurting myself more going that route then a lesser performance manifold?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Have you looked at drop base housings ?

Old 12-15-2016, 05:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Summit lists the height of the top of the aircleaner from the carb. The Moroso units are only 2 1/2 inch above the carb flange

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...2%2B4294949554
Old 12-20-2016, 09:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

their is a plastic drop base one, Ive bought it on eBay, odd company name. a lot better then the Moroso. Victor JR is shorter and so is the Holley
Old 12-20-2016, 09:12 AM
9 Second Club

R2C drop base pricey but work. I was able to put a carb motor on my flat hood mustang with everyone on the net saying in cant be done.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 AM
9 Second Club

thought of the fitch, they said a real drop base might need to be notched somewhere I forgot where.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:03 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I use the Allstar Performance spun aluminum. It is circle track stuff, but does the job nicely. They have various drop offsets available IIRC.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be very careful on the distance of the lid to the vent tubes. Also if you are that tight on room you should not have a choke horn on the main body. Airflow can get pretty wonky as the lid gets closer to the boosters. All about the sharp downward turn into the carb. Usually you are making over a 90* turn. On our dyno we have even gone as far as polishing the inside of the air cleaner. The only other problem I have found is that the aluminum ones can really get hot as they love to obsorb the engine heat. I know on my own car the fuel bowls would get so hot you could not touch them after pulling the air breather off after a pass at the track. The engine was not over 180*. I would set ice cubes on the fuel bowls and take a towel out of the cooler and place it on the intake runners between runs. Finally just ran no breather at the track.
What about the Holley or GM intakes? they are not as tall.
Not sure about power difference on the dyno BUT in real world with shorter intake and taller filter under hood might make more power. Those drop base filters really trap the heat around the carb. A shorter intake with a plastic or wood spacer to keep engine heat from transfering to the carb is the way to go. I have milled 1/2" off an intake and then added a spacer to get the plenum area back but try to stop heat getting into the carb.
Good luck and don't be afraid to think outside the box.
Aleck
Old 12-24-2016, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stinkybutt
Finally just ran no breather at the track.
I have heard of running no filter can also cause issues ?

Mine made no difference on or off and the lid was 1" maybe off the vent tubes.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by stinkybutt
Be I know on my own car the fuel bowls would get so hot you could not touch them after pulling the air breather off after a pass at the track. The engine was not over 180*. I would set ice cubes on the fuel bowls and take a towel out of the cooler and place it on the intake runners between runs.
Aleck
I almost got a float adjuster scar on my hand from leaning in and putting my hand on the carb. We put a half inch wooden Edelbrock spacer under the carb and you can leave your hand on it as long as you want now. Luke warm at best. Couldn't believe the difference.

OP. You built a bad azz motor. Don't let an air cleaner hold you back. Get the super Victor. And cut the hood. Either some kind of scoop or a velocity stack. And let that bad boy breathe some nice cool air. Even if you use a 4 or 5 inch filter with the drop base and it only has 2 inches of clearance to the lid. It will still only flow only as much as a 2 inch. You choke down flow and What ever it's choked to is all it will flow. You could do the 2 inch with a K&N lid and get more flow out of it if you don't want to cut the hood. Just a thought. Best of Luck.

Last edited by TTur1996; 12-24-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to fit a 14x3 air cleaner on my Carbed Small Block Chevy swap in my 95 trans am. I had to use a drop base and with the OEm ram air hood the air cleaner top just barely touches the bottom of the hood.

Quick Reply: Air cleaner ?