Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Anyone tried a carb intake and dist on a ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone tried a carb intake and dist on a ls1?

I have a LS6 I picked up at a swap meet last year it is all taken apart with only the parts to build a long block ( no intake, coil packs ,wiring ,computer ,ect.) I have a friend who loves these engines and put one in an old Nova. I also have a stock '00ss camaro convertable and like the way the LS1 performs and runs so smooth even when wound up high. My friend with the Nova is helping me build a 55 Chevy 210 and wants me to put the LS motor in it I'm up for it and am looking for some good advise I just want a mild motor for cruising. I don't know if I want to chase down all the parts to make it electronic or go with the clean look of a carb to keep it simple. I like the idea of the carb set up if it works good, it will confuse the old guys at local cruises.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this combo. will work as if it was ment to be from the start!!!!!!!!!! i have been running my car for a week with this set-up.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Launching!

You would be able to fuel inject it on the cheap if you want to.It would be the same price or more to buy an intake a distributer and a carb.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't go the distributor route. I would just get the msd 6010 box and harness to go with the carb. less to buy and even cleaner look.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Much easier to tune as well. The coil on plug style ignition and no distributor leaves puzzled looks on peoples faces when i pop my hood.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

lsxlowtech, Shawn, do you have any pics of your setup? Are people having problems with the msd 6010 setup or are they a simple plug and play? Is there a limit to the size cam you can use with the msd setup? We're replacing the whole harness in the car too. Is there someone who makes a whole car harness for a 55 chevy that incorporates an LSX engine harness in it?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Simple as can be plug and play. one 12v wire, one ground, and thats is all to make it run. Also a tach wire if you will be running one. It hooks into the factory 8 coil packs, cam sensor, and crank sensor. Plus also has an extra plug to use a MAP sensor to increase timing as vacuum increases, i.e. parth throttle cruising where you could save a few mpg. Infinitely tunable with a laptop through a serial port as well. My box isnt mounted yet nor are my wires in their final locations im still in the 'tune and make go' rather than the 'go fast and look good' step.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried a carb intake and dist on a ls1?-engine.jpg  
Old 05-31-2008, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Is the wiring harness that comes with it long enough to hide inside the car under the dash?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

you would have to cut above a 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" hole in your firewall to get the connector through but it would only be long enough to put in our glovebox at best. So i would say no.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

in my 69 chevelle, i was able to mount my 6010 box inside on the heater box, and reach all the conn's on the engine-msd says the 6 pills were really dev. for the edelbrock setup, but they supply them with the 6010 to get you started-then you can program it yourself-if i can do it, any body can-i just have a problen figuring out the map sensor, they talk about pressure, my brain thinks vacume-i have 18 lbs vac at the port where the map is, and the map graph reads 3.7 pres????
i know it is atmosphere(in my case, 2 bar, supercharger) just cant understand vac/pres
Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

You can read the map sensor live? I didnt know you could do that. Maybe you have a bad or wrong maf installed?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
in my 69 chevelle, i was able to mount my 6010 box inside on the heater box, and reach all the conn's on the engine-msd says the 6 pills were really dev. for the edelbrock setup, but they supply them with the 6010 to get you started-then you can program it yourself-if i can do it, any body can-i just have a problen figuring out the map sensor, they talk about pressure, my brain thinks vacume-i have 18 lbs vac at the port where the map is, and the map graph reads 3.7 pres????
i know it is atmosphere(in my case, 2 bar, supercharger) just cant understand vac/pres
MAP stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure. By Absolute it means Zero PSI is an absolute vacuum. With the engine off it should read the pressure of ambient air, which is 1 bar or 15 PSI.

Vacuum gauges read in inches of vacuum relative to ambient air pressure, not pounds.

Here is a calculator that converts vacuum units. Just plug a number in any box and it computes all the equivalents.

http://www.vacuum-guide.com/english/...orpressure.htm

Here is a geek link that describes pressure

http://acept.asu.edu/PiN/rdg/vacuum/vacuum.html

I have an MSD box, but unlike Shawn I haven't started mine yet. The wires all fit and the whole thing looks pretty plug and go. You can get by with a smaller hole in the dash if you run the wires through from the inside. That way the hole only has to be big enough to pass the connectors.

My only worry is this is an MSD product. There are numerous postings on MSD's user forums where their box doesn't work with some cranks because the pulse shape out of the reluctor wheel isn't always perfect. Kind of scary because there aren't a lot of options if the MSD box doesn't work.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

I've heard of problems of not getting enough cranking RPMS too. The engine has to crank at like 200+rpm in order to get a good crank sensor reading or someting. I didnt want to have this problem so i ran 0awg THHN Copper house wiring for all of my battery/starter/alternator wires.

I went to upload my new tune with the MAP sensor today (i had been using a timing pill until now) and i just realized the port i thought was a serial port in my sister laptop is actualyl like a DVI port. Haha i should have paid more attention. So now i have to drag my desktop outside unless i can find some sort of adapter for it.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

keyspan usb ro serial port adapter work fine with the msd software
Old 06-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Default Just so you know

They make a setup now that you can buy its a 364c.i. with the coil packs and a carb and Its controlled by an msd ignition box. Also my buddy is running an ls1 with tunnel ran dual quad set up so it can be done yes.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Where did you get that at Jay? Radioshack or Wal-mart or something?
Old 06-01-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i got my serial to usb adapter from radio shack, came with a cd to install it
with the engine running, you can see the map sensor readings-poor guy from msd spent almost an hour with me helping out, even showed me how to come up with the correct com port on my computer, and even loaded my readings in his computer, with my name, in case i called back, he could bring them up
i am running a procharger, so i installed a 2 bar sensor, plan on reg the timing under boost with it(when i get that far) right now i am just running the timing program, using the retard for now, zeroed out the map
Old 06-01-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Put it where you want it

You could theoretically put it in the trunk if you wanted to. I mounted my 6010 box inside on the firewall in my '34 Ford coupe. Just take off that ugly black plastic loom that MSD ships it with and lenghten the wires (within reason). A little solder or some good connectors and some shrink tubing, and you're in business. Then you can put the ugly black loom or something that looks good back on it. Simple! I had to lengthen the cam sensor wires about 3 ft. for my LS2 with the only problem being I forgot to switch the A and C wires at first. Would'nt start. Switched wires, started instantly!! I would definately use the MSD box instead of the distributor, both for cost, and mainly because you can easily tailor it to suit your engine.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Where did you get that at Jay? Radioshack or Wal-mart or something?

i got mine from e-bay,, the keyspan is supposed to be the best usb to serial adapter, i use it for re-flashing pcm/ecm's all the time with no errors

others may work fine too,, just have to pick one up and try it
Old 06-01-2008, 04:05 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would have to cut above a 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" hole in your firewall to get the connector through
i just unhooked all 16 wires from the weatherpack connector, routed them through a 1/2 inch hole in the firewall and plugged them back into the connector. i have my msd box mounted on top of my ash tray in my 69 camaro.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried a carb intake and dist on a ls1?