Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Any problems with the 99-01 Z28/SS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any problems with the 99-01 Z28/SS?

I am looking at a few Z's here in town and found a few nice ones I'd like to look at. Basically all of the cars I found have less than 100k miles on them, and from the pictures they look to be in great condition.

I just wanted to get some input from some of you fellow Z/SS owners within the model years mentioned.

I just want to know if you have ever had any engine problems with those years, or tranny problems. I am looking at getting a manual only.

And tell me how some of these cars sound.

2001 Camaro Z28 6spd, 87k miles $8995 - car looks really good, If I am lucky I can walk out with it for about 8k flat, and I think that'd be a good deal. It has the SS hood on it, and I think just a catback exhaust.

Here is a 1999 Camaro Z28 for about 9k, it has 85k miles on it, looks pretty clean from the pics. He has an after market Hurst shifter which I am not a big fan of, but its not a big deal, as I can always just get a good one for 15 bucks. Car is black, and he has done some pretty nice things to the headlights (they look smoked out, with a tint of black, looks mean) and I think he has exhaust on it.

And finally, there is a 2000 SS Camaro with about 60k miles on it also a 6spd and in silver. Car looks very nice, but he is asking a little too much I think. He wants 12k for the car, I think if I talk him down to 10k, highest being 11k I'd be all right. I have seen a 99' SS go for about 8900 tho, and it has 70k miles and was also a 6spd. I don't know if the 99' is still on the market but it looked nice.

So let me know what your guys' opinions on the car is, and if you could tell me some of the common problems you've had with the car. I don't plan on driving it daily (maybe 3 times out of the week).

Thx
Old 10-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Banned

im a little bit drunk and just skimmed over your post. but caught jist of it.
i have a 99 z28 with 175xxx miles on the clock. 99 z28 nbm leather power everything t-tops. bought it 2 years ago for under 6k. only had to replace a few things. bcm(body control module), and the oil pressure gauge sending unit. thats it. runs/drives just fine. pulls likea mother ******. bone stock when i bought it and might as well be now. all i have is k and n filter, free ram air mod, no cats and a flowmaster super 40 muffler. these ls1's last forever!!!!!!! im alot harder on my car than i should be i will admit(because of the mileage) but its held up strong. of course i have all the fluids checked, oil changed regularly. hope this helps, im a litty drunk.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Teching In

I bought a 2001 Z at the beginning of summer, 60k miles, I already put about 10,000 on it this summer and a good 30 passes at the track. So far it runs absolutely great. We rented the track out and I would do 4-5 passes in a row and let it sit for about 40 minutes and she handled that just fine.

T-Tops don't leak, there is no creaking or clunking when I go over bumps. I am getting the feeling my oil pressure sending unit is taking a dive on me though so I'll have to fix that this winter.

For what its worth mine was 12k, with out even as much as a paint chip in the hood. Leather seats had not even started to crack and a spotless interior. Had never seen winter when I got it.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

yes there is a problem, there to god darn sexy
Old 10-16-2008, 03:55 PM

How about piston slaps? It's a common problem among the LS1 engines, but I know it doesn't affect performance. Does anyone have any problems with that?

I heard if you upgrade the lifters they go away, not sure if that's true or not.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Launching!

They should have a smooth idle, when they first start up youll here a tapping noise almost like it has solid lifters, but its normal. Make sure the clutch isnt sticking, like shifting smoothly when you shift and how it engages. The engines are very reliable, its the trans that you have to worry about, cause they have alluminum forks witch grind away if someone is racing it alot.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mogg
How about piston slaps? It's a common problem among the LS1 engines, but I know it doesn't affect performance. Does anyone have any problems with that?

I heard if you upgrade the lifters they go away, not sure if that's true or not.

My 2000 SS A4:
I had piston/rings and bearings replaced at 31,000 miles for piston slap noise. factory paid for it

I have sprayed this car for over 5 years and put another 80,000 + miles on it since then.

Now at 118,000 miles it is louder than before.

Noise went away for about 30,000 miles, still ticks at idle just like when i bought it in 2000. I hear that is the lifters,possibly the oil pump. I really don't care though. I have had the car over 8 years now and it is just as reliable as the day it was born.

Dave

Quick Reply: Any problems with the 99-01 Z28/SS?