Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

rear axle not centered on '68 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear axle not centered on '68 convertible

My 68 convertible camaro's axle isn't centered. It's a mono leaf car and I noticed the axle is about 1" off center. Therefore my new wheels/tires rub the lip on the passenger side only. If it were centered, there would be no rubbing.

How does this happen and how do I fix it? I already put new poly bushings in the leafs/shackles. Is there an adjustment point/area?

help
Old 10-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Launching!

what kind of rear end are you running? is it a first gen camaro/ firebird or something else? do you mean one axle tube is longer than the other? is your pinion lined up with the tail shaft of your tranny? i think that if you measure from the axle tubes enter your rear end housig (for lack of a better term), to the mounting perch where your leaf springs mount to the axle tube they should be equal, but one tube will have a longer total distance. I have a 68 convertible with a 9 inch, and a 68 coupe with a ten bolt in it and can get you my measurements from housing to perch if you need. hope this helped
Old 10-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

It's all stock parts/original. I just noticed the diff when I put new wheels on it. The passenger side wheel is noticably closer to the outside of the vehicle compared to the drivers side.
PASS SIDE

DRIVERS side

you can see the difference in the pics.

HOW DO I FIX IT???
Old 10-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Launching!

maybe the wheels have different offset's?? try and put a straight edge on the back side of the wheel and measure down to where the mounting surface is, where the hole for the studs are, see if its the same distance. if that doesn't work try the big pry bar on the floor in the picture that shows your drivers side!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the rear hangers for the leaf springs can warp and bend throw years of burnouts and just driving i've changed about dozen pairs. so i'd say check the hangers
Old 10-25-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is common on the 67-81 Camaro/Firebird.Everyone i've had it stick out more on one side than the other.Look @ other ones and you will see what i mean.

Quick Reply: rear axle not centered on '68 convertible