Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

89 camaro cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 camaro cooling issues

I live in arizona where obviously it gets pretty hot, ive been having trouble keeping my car cool this summer and i want to fix it, the car is a 305 tbi stock with an aftermarket gauge so i know the accurate temp, and a brand new cooling system, it WAS running at 180* at night and sitting at 200* during the day which was perfect for me, i retrofitted my AC and had it running for about 10 hours and the car was just running like crap and heating up to about 230* to 245* when moving and sitting, i checked the rad, it was full put water wetter in and had no results, which is strange because ive used it before and it made a huge difference. My compressor clutch started rattling very loud so i unhooked the cycling switch and it made it so i still had the compressor there as a pulley since ive got serpentine setup. Can anyone tell me why this happened? I know ac puts a drag on your car but mine was intense plus it heated my car up over 30*

even with the A/c disconnected and its only about 10* hotter than normal but i dont like that so i want to make my cooling system better and the guys over on thirdgen.org pointed me over here for an ls1 fan setup because the single fan i have isnt nearly good enough for my motor, it had issues cooling v6's... any input on what i can do here? i was thinking the fan setup and doing an electric water pump but im not sure how my serpentine setup would work with that
heres the thread i posted on TGO for more details
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/co...ml#post4206491

any input would be greatly appreciated