Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Best generation for building a street/strip car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best generation for building a street/strip car?

What's the best generation for building a street/strip car? Or is there a best? Also what engine block type is best for making some really good power? For example obviously a BBC is going to make big power but would it be better to go with a LS series small block instead?

I want to start a build and I want some nice power, maybe good enough for 10s or low 11s in the 1/4, and driven on the street maybe 3/4 days out of the week, even if it's a pain in the ***. Just not sure which direction to look in.

Edit: I AM on a budget, so I was looking to probably be building the car up over a couple year span. Engine/suspension/drivetrain.

Last edited by davep_96; 07-08-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:51 PM

For power, price, drivability & gas milage, I don't think you can beat a 4th gen.

1st gen's make great strip cars & cruisers.

3rd gen's are cheap as hell to start out with.

I really like the 2nd gen cars for looks as well.

It's really a matter of personal preference.

Dave
Old 07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a ls1 4th gen is great because it has the lsx alredy built in
but the rear will limit how hard u can abuse before it breaks.
aftermarket rear needed for serious performer
excellent brakes and handling

3rd gen is very cheep and easy to swap in lsx, but rear is even weaker
than 4th gen, brakes need upgrades for hi powered cars.
has the option of manual steering for a strip car.
aftermarket rear needed for serious performer

2nd gen is also possible to swap in lsx, and rear can be beefed up and aftermarket rear end is not needed. brakes need to be upgraded.

but i am building a 3rd gen to run mid 9's or better
this is the most economical method for me since i running with a carb. and i have little to no efi tuning exp.
but i have ran low 10's with a self tuned carb. so im sticking with that for now.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

4th gen
Old 07-09-2009, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Id go with 2nd gen. Solely because they can be obtained in great condition for cheap. Not to mention all years came stock with 10 bolts and just need a rebuild and some gears and your good to go if on a budget. Plus BB Chevys fit easily in these. Ive got 350 crate from GMPP and a TH350 with stock 10 bolt rear. Havent spent over 10 thousand over the past 4 years.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to go with the 3rd gen if you're going to build your own motor. Cheap, light, and lots of room under the hood. 4th gens are a pain in the *** to work on with half the motor under the cowl.

LS1 4th gens are better if you want a turn key car that is already pretty quick stock. Although I'd much rather have a 3rd gen for a drag car just because its easier to work on and lighter.

1st gens are way to expensive now days, but still cool if you've got the coin. I never did like the 74-82 2nd gens, and they are a pretty big, heavy car. The 70-73 cars are badass, but once again they will command some $$$ for a decent one.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses.

Right now i have a third gen, but if i decided to stay 3rd id probably sell it and find another one. Mine has a decent 355 but has some things in need of restoration, nothing too extreme but i dont really want to get into that and id rather find a mint ish body to start with, even though it would probably be cheaper to fix this one.

My big dilemma here is that i want a 6 speed and a 4th gen comes with that and just needs it built. Also it has the lsx platform already integrated.

What do you guys think about BBC vs. LSx? Can i make enough power on a LSx to not need to go BBC? Id definitely like the better MPG, as i have a truck that gets 12mpg as my winter vehicle.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by davep_96
Thanks for the responses.

Right now i have a third gen, but if i decided to stay 3rd id probably sell it and find another one. Mine has a decent 355 but has some things in need of restoration, nothing too extreme but i dont really want to get into that and id rather find a mint ish body to start with, even though it would probably be cheaper to fix this one.

My big dilemma here is that i want a 6 speed and a 4th gen comes with that and just needs it built. Also it has the lsx platform already integrated.

What do you guys think about BBC vs. LSx? Can i make enough power on a LSx to not need to go BBC? Id definitely like the better MPG, as i have a truck that gets 12mpg as my winter vehicle.
sounds like a 4th gen is waht u need, fair mpg, plenty of power, m6, a/c etc.
my 3rd is for serious street and strip runs.
if your gonna go bbc, well your shooting for 8's n/a imo
thats the only reason i would go bbc. other than that i dont see the need for bbc.
my ss gets 25mpg,490rw,ac,stereo.
cheep? not really
Old 07-09-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

is your bird a hardtop? cloned to like gta?
thats my fave 3rd gen
Old 07-09-2009, 03:51 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If you just wanna go fast the cheapest route is get an LS powered fourth gen to start with and mod away.

If your in love with a certain body style or look thats another story. BBC make power but its going to be a drag only machine for numerous reasons. LS make big power plus retain real world drive ability.

I did a third gen LS1 swap because I prefer the look of third gens over 2nd and fourth and although 1st gens are my favorite I wanted a daily driver and to buy a 1st gen and make it like mine is too much work. AC, pwr windows, locks, etc etc. Plus i had a mint Recarro interior and I found an original paint rust free body so thee were many reasons that a third gen made most sense for me. Not to mention i can literally drive this car anywhere and not have to worry as much as I would parking in a lot with a mint 68 RS. I'm goin g to build one but only for play not for dd. Thats the best thing too I should add about LS power. Daily driver AD make big power WHOOT!

Spent a hella lot more than I would have if I just bought an LS1 fourth gen mind you ( or heck even a Vette ) between body, drivetrain, and interior but I built exactly the car i wanted and its not for sale. Turned down 25K last yr
Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NemeSS
is your bird a hardtop? cloned to like gta?
thats my fave 3rd gen
It was originally a Formula 305 ws6, but the guy i bought it from added the GTA ground effects, rims, badges, spoiler, seats (telescoping headrests lol), etc. Stuff like that with the exception of the digital dash, which ehh i kinda like the standard dash anyways. And nope its a t-top car.

Yeah im def not shooting for 8's NA, more like high 10s. Eventually id like to build a full drag car that hits single digits, but thats not feasible right now as im in college, so a fast street/strip car is something id be more than greatful for right now. I like both the 3rd and 4th gens the best (well nothing beats a 69 Z28 but thats not a practical choice haha), and ive always wanted a 98-02 ws6 or SS.

My car is decent but like i said it needs some minor work. I just dont have the desire to do the little bondo/paint/interior work that it needs. Id rather pick up a 1st gen roller and restore that instead. Not to mention its not a real GTA and id definitely rather find a real one. But anyways how easy is it to get a ls1 into the high 10s? Not concerned with the price because as i said i'll be modding as the money comes in. The reason i asked about a BBC is because i figured that was easier route, but i def dont want the 8mpg of a carb'd BB in my DD.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

An LS1 is hard to beat with todays dirt cheap prices on aftermarket parts
Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

3gen is the best to start with
Old 07-10-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by davep_96
It was originally a Formula 305 ws6, but the guy i bought it from added the GTA ground effects, rims, badges, spoiler, seats (telescoping headrests lol), etc. Stuff like that with the exception of the digital dash, which ehh i kinda like the standard dash anyways. And nope its a t-top car.

Yeah im def not shooting for 8's NA, more like high 10s. Eventually id like to build a full drag car that hits single digits, but thats not feasible right now as im in college, so a fast street/strip car is something id be more than greatful for right now. I like both the 3rd and 4th gens the best (well nothing beats a 69 Z28 but thats not a practical choice haha), and ive always wanted a 98-02 ws6 or SS.

My car is decent but like i said it needs some minor work. I just dont have the desire to do the little bondo/paint/interior work that it needs. Id rather pick up a 1st gen roller and restore that instead. Not to mention its not a real GTA and id definitely rather find a real one. But anyways how easy is it to get a ls1 into the high 10s? Not concerned with the price because as i said i'll be modding as the money comes in. The reason i asked about a BBC is because i figured that was easier route, but i def dont want the 8mpg of a carb'd BB in my DD.
<------mid 10's n/a with sbc, drive to and from track,traffic etc. all with carb. and mech. fan

going with lsx because its cheeper to build a 6.0 lsx
than go with dart sbc block and real heads/parts.
the 6.0 based engine is cheeper, and even 550+bhp can be made with stock unported ls 243 or l92 heads
Old 07-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NemeSS
<------mid 10's n/a with sbc, drive to and from track,traffic etc. all with carb. and mech. fan

going with lsx because its cheeper to build a 6.0 lsx
than go with dart sbc block and real heads/parts.
the 6.0 based engine is cheeper, and even 550+bhp can be made with stock unported ls 243 or l92 heads
No kidding? What is your current setup?

Quick Reply: Best generation for building a street/strip car?