Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Whats the benefits of a V8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the benefits of a V8?

Well I currently have a 96 Camaro with a 3.8 V6. Its a great car I love although we have been to hell and back together, T-Top Conversion is the only serious mods it gets the job done.

The only time I really get to drive it is from my house all the way up to the northside of town for church each week is like an hour away from where I live and an hour back, I enjoy it weekly to be honest there ain't nothing better than the T-Top off and enjoying the good colorado weither(when its not alaska like) the car gets great gas mileage. It has never stalled on me other than the time the fuel pump died other than that runs very strong.

I love the 3.8 engine's I had one in my GTP and its not quite as fast as my old GTP but it gets the job done. My ultimate goal was to build something like the 89 Turbo Trans Am or the Buick Grand National by doing a Turbo kit but this won't be for a couple of years from now if I still own the vehicle of course. I really want the RS ground effects for it at the moment along with dark blue or purple paint then repaint my current salad shooters black.

It currently needs basic maintaince around, brakes, tuneup and its got a leak between the engine and transmission. Body and paint.

Thats gonna run me roughly 3k or more depending. I'm getting a payout from a mutual fund this year so my overall bouget is 5k if I want to I could spend alittle more but I wanna invest as well as save for a house and my first expensive supercar.

My only question really is should I keep the V6 get it tuned up properly, then get the body work and paint?. or should I consider buying a V8 Car?. If so what are the benefits of a V8?. I know the gas mileage is roughly the same as me but how about the insurance costs? Like My driving record is spotless, no speeding tickets, no accidents no nothing really.

Really I drove an 87 Corvette and it was nice i'm not gonna lie but it was loud, I also rode in a V8 LS1 car and its exactly like my car except on roids makes a ton of noise and goes fast.

Me personally the nose on a car does bother me and my friends cause yeah its funny to go rev at ricers all day in a SBC but for a drive while out with friends or on a date and hearing the rumble is kind of embarssing Thats my only complain on a V8 is the nose, I sometimes wish I could mute it for some situations because id need to.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

I also forgot to mention the V6 will be paid off this november.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmm, benifit of a v8. eveything
Old 08-09-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly, there is no down side... i had more problem with my V6 fbodys than i have ever had with my H/C v8 fbodys...

gas mileage is about the same and i actually got better in my stock 323 geared TA than i did with either v6 i had..

the looks.... the sound.... the speed....... what else is there?

the rumble is embarrassing on a date? you on crack son?

my girlfriend has a dynomax something on here car.. cant remember the name.. but you cant hardly hear it (she also has a cutout and never caps it).. SLP also makes a VERY VERY VERY quiet exhaust..
point being is that an ls1 can be just as quiet as a v6, but without the rasp and with all the perks!

you can pick up a pretty decent ls1 right now for 5k..

buy one, you wont be disappointed!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

Go for an LS1! There pretty cheep now and they rock. The gas millage i get on the highway is insane!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:14 AM
Launching!

My Trans Am with a magnaflow catback is super quite unless I get on it. So quiet in fact that the everyday squeaks/rattles drive me nuts....therefore, I either turn up the radio or open the cutout, lol. Problem solved.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Greenbird97
My Trans Am with a magnaflow catback is super quite unless I get on it. So quiet in fact that the everyday squeaks/rattles drive me nuts....therefore, I either turn up the radio or open the cutout, lol. Problem solved.
maganaflow is a bit pricey though.. and with a cam kind be raspy in the higher rpms when revving.. wakes up at WOT though!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:53 AM

Stock, the LS1 is no louder than the V -6.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
maganaflow is a bit pricey though.. and with a cam kind be raspy in the higher rpms when revving.. wakes up at WOT though!
I have a magnaflow with a qtp electric cutout for only $350!! that's cheap!

ok now that I have made my quick sales pitch.

there is now downfall of going to a ls1. other than higher insurance prices. seriously. do it. don't think about it. do it now. you will thank us later when you are shoulder deep in sweet teenage vagina.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

honestly, there is no down side... i had more problem with my V6 fbodys than i have ever had with my H/C v8 fbodys...

gas mileage is about the same and i actually got better in my stock 323 geared TA than i did with either v6 i had..

the looks.... the sound.... the speed....... what else is there?

the rumble is embarrassing on a date? you on crack son?

my girlfriend has a dynomax something on here car.. cant remember the name.. but you cant hardly hear it (she also has a cutout and never caps it).. SLP also makes a VERY VERY VERY quiet exhaust..
point being is that an ls1 can be just as quiet as a v6, but without the rasp and with all the perks!

you can pick up a pretty decent ls1 right now for 5k..

buy one, you wont be disappointed!
I'm willing to take one out for a spin, I'm trying to convice my friend to let me drive his for an afternoon but he says get one.

Most of my friends are not car guys and gals they are the RPG/Anime type friends or the party life. We enjoy drives around town together and enjoy the V6 all my friends have told me if I get one it better not be loud or else I will end up curising in one of their eco boxes.

If I can do a direct trade with my V6 + Cash I consider it especially if Its for a later T/A.

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Stock, the LS1 is no louder than the V -6.
I beg to differ sometimes cause like I can hear an LS1 from a block away opposed to the V6 which kind of "sneaks" up.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by danhr
I have a magnaflow with a qtp electric cutout for only $350!! that's cheap!

ok now that I have made my quick sales pitch.

there is now downfall of going to a ls1. other than higher insurance prices. seriously. do it. don't think about it. do it now. you will thank us later when you are shoulder deep in sweet teenage vagina.
!!!

but true!!!

arent most magnaflow setups new around 600-900$?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VF1Skullangel
I'm willing to take one out for a spin, I'm trying to convice my friend to let me drive his for an afternoon but he says get one.

Most of my friends are not car guys and gals they are the RPG/Anime type friends or the party life. We enjoy drives around town together and enjoy the V6 all my friends have told me if I get one it better not be loud or else I will end up curising in one of their eco boxes.

If I can do a direct trade with my V6 + Cash I consider it especially if Its for a later T/A.

I beg to differ sometimes cause like I can hear an LS1 from a block away opposed to the V6 which kind of "sneaks" up.
id tell my friends they could go suck a big........

you are wrong... the reason you hear most ls1s is because most have exhaust on them... most v6s are bone stock...
an ls1 is no louder under normal driving conditions than a v6..
i (a lot of people in this thread) have owned both.. you have owned only a v6.... do you still beg to differ?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

!!!

but true!!!

arent most magnaflow setups new around 600-900$?
they jacked their prices up when they came up with the dual/dual tips. before they were like 400 with the old style tips.

i guess magnaflow really likes their tips?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by danhr
they jacked their prices up when they came up with the dual/dual tips. before they were like 400 with the old style tips.

i guess magnaflow really likes their tips?

sounds kinda like corsa?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VF1Skullangel

How how how can you not like the sound of a v8...its a muscle car its supposed to be loud.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow...just wow.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Why a V8? Have you driven a V8!? Especially an LSx??

The "noise" you say or pure driving bliss as I prefer, is not too loud at all depending on how you set it up and drive it. I have LTs and a LM with Spiral flow mufflers it sounds barely louder than all stock with an 80 series Flomaster, stay off the throttle and shift early and it's nice and quiet. And I get the same gas mileage as my dad's 3.8RS (when I'm not romping on it of course)
Old 08-10-2009, 05:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have to ask...you'll never understand.

<---3.8 Camaro driver for 10 years. LS1 for the last 3.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok here you go, buy an LS1 car with stock exhaust and bam no issue with loud noises, my car couldn't be heard with the stock exhaust, I bought a Jegs cat back and that is the quietest exhaust right now for an Fbody that is aftermarket. I now have a TSP rumbler and even the most girly of girls get in my car go ohh wow.

Stock exhaust your friends will not mind, and where you cruising Academy? or Powers? cause either way there should be some decent traffic and you shouldn't have an issue.

I used to live in Monument and cruise down to the Springs on Fridays and Saturdays.

Realy get a V8 just as good of gas mileage, I would say vaginas will be all over your face, but you mentioned church so it depends on where you stadn with that. Your friends well.. sorry man tell them to jump off a bridge, a Man's car is supposed to rumble.

Get it, love it, live it, and thank us later.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to have two 3.8 motors, a 98 Camaro and a 2002 Monte Carlo SS.

Not bad at all, but even my stock LT1 would put them to shame, in performance, looks, and sound.

Call about your insurance, mine is actually cheaper than my 98 V6...

My gas mileage would be better, if I didn't love the right pedal so much.

If you're worried about sound, go with a quiet muffler like Summit's Turbo Muffler, and have a cutout for when you want the loudness.