Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

engine removal howto in a 4th gen camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default engine removal howto in a 4th gen camaro

I've heard ppl say removing the engine from the top is better, some say the bottom. I just cant see how it can be easy with half the engine under the cowl. I can't see how someone can even work on the engine like that.

With that said, i'm considering purchasing another (had a 98 SS back in 99 for about a year but never worked on it) 4th gen but i'm having problems getting around the question of how to work on the damn thing with half the engine hidden.

How do you guys do it?

Brett
Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slowly and from the top and underneath you can do everything
Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Launching!

can the intake be removed with the engine in the car? Can r&r the heads with the engine in place? cam swap? Is a plug change possible?

Brett
Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

yes,yes,and yes.Take your time.once you remove your coils it looks much easier.Worst plug is the rear on passenger side,i've never taken the engine out but looks easier from the bottom
Old 09-10-2009, 04:59 PM

Done it all.

www.ls1howto.com
www.installuniversity.com

Old 09-11-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Me too.... Plugs many times. It is not that hard after the first time. The first time I changed plugs it took 2-3 hours. Now I can do it less than an hour.

I also changed heads, headers and cam with the engine in.

Good luck. you can do it with the right tools and directions.

http://bowlingss.com/LS1_How_To.htm

Bill
Old 09-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Launching!

thanks for the links guys!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

so nobody answered if the motor can be removed from the top, I am going to have the heads off and would like to pull the motor out the top is it doable? Sorry to hijack
Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Its doable from the top but some prefer the down side method.

Check this thread. Motor was a LT1 but the principle is the same.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ngine-out.html
Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chaman
Its doable from the top but some prefer the down side method.

Check this thread. Motor was a LT1 but the principle is the same.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ngine-out.html
Kinda helpful. I am pulling from the top and just seeing if anyone has done a write up, I have the heads off and will have the heads off for the engine pull and install
Old 09-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Teching In

I am in the same boat man. Heads are already off. Debating between a topside removal or out the bottom.
I will 2nd his request for a top side removal "how to" if anybody knows of one. There seem to be plenty of ones going out the bottom.
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 PM

I've always done it from the top, but have seen it done from the bottom.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Teching In

How hard is it getting the engine to re-align (dowel pins and trans input shaft) when it goes back in if you come out the top?
p.s. I will probably be working by myself.
thanks,
AV
Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Teching In

Bump
Anybody?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BowtieBoyAV
How hard is it getting the engine to re-align (dowel pins and trans input shaft) when it goes back in if you come out the top?
p.s. I will probably be working by myself.
thanks,
AV
if you pull it out the top, usually tranny comes with it when you do that. you can disconnect it from the tranny, but it's much easier to drop from the bottom with the tranny connected.
please, take no offense from this advice, don't do this on your own. an experienced hand will save you time, money and keep you from breaking something or worse, injuring yourself.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dnm12
so nobody answered if the motor can be removed from the top, I am going to have the heads off and would like to pull the motor out the top is it doable? Sorry to hijack
why not go out the bottom? I just dropped mine last weekend and It couldn't be simpler. I was able to leave all the accessories, wiring harness, and pcm on the engine. You just have to unhook a couple brake lines, wheel speed sensors, steering shaft, struts, and a couple grounds. I then took the front fascia off the car so I could get a chain around the front bumper support, And used a engine hoist to lift the car off the ground. Next I put a cart under the k-member and carfully lowered the car down untill the k-member contacted the cart. Then you unbolt the k-member and carfully lift the car up off the k-member high enough for the engine to clear the bottom of the car. Then you lower the car onto jackstands to get the engine hoist out of the way and wheel the k-member out. This process is way easier than one would think, so easy I think I would do this before ever pulling the heads in the car again.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Teching In

maxgee, no offense taken man. i appreciate the advice. I can explain the reason I was initially leaning towards taking it out the top.
It is actually my best friends car which I have helped him work on before. Anyways, he is busy with school and what not right now and doesnt have time to work on it. The driver side head gasket developed a pretty bad leak and it was in need of a tune anyways, so he dropped it off at my house for a month or whatever (we actually live over 2hrs apart now). Anyways, my original plan of only pulling the head to replace the gasket has been soiled by what I found inside the engine. He had his water pump go out on him once and he had a pretty bad over heat. Well...I found that the cylinder walls actually got a little bit of light scuffing...I assume from things expanding too much during the overheat. So now the engine has to come out so I can tear it down, have it re-honed, replace the pistons/rings/etc. I already have a lot of stuff off of it (obviously) due to the fact that the original plan was only to pull the head. So wiring is off, intake is off, valve covers are off, rockers are out, both heads are off, radiator disconnected, headers loose from the heads, P/S pump is off...you get the idea. Of course, all that was off before I found the problem with the liners. So my thinking was that since I have already gone that far, it would be easier to pull just the engine. On top of it, my house is for sale now and in case we get an offer and have to move out, it would be good to have a rolling chassis while I wait on parts, machining, reassemble everything, etc. that way if I had to I could tow it out of my garage. Sorry to be so long winded, but I just wanted you guys to understand where I was coming from so it can help you in your recommendation. I would actually prefer to drop it out the bottom, but the rolling chassis has its appeal to me right now cuz the situation I am in.
All that said, based on your recommendations, I am actually starting to lean back the other way now and might just go with dropping what is left of the whole assy.

MrgoodwrenchSS, thanks for the tips, it sounds relatively "simple". I'm not too worried about it since I have dropped a subframe before (granted it was a friends Acura TSX which is a lot smaller and lighter), but the idea is similar.

The rest of the accessories would still be coming off, and the tranny would be disconnected so I could mount the engine on a stand and work on it easily.

So what is your guys' votes? Still out the bottom?

It sounds like it is worth it if you would actually consider doing it instead of pulling the heads in the car.
Thanks a lot for the advice. Its much appreciated.

Last edited by BowtieBoyAV; 10-03-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Not sure if it's similar but I've dropped a few BMW V8's and V12's from the bottom, in less than 2 hours each one with a buddy and we didn't cut the harness, I'd assume the Camaro is almost the same, just drop the subframe and let her rip.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BowtieBoyAV
I am in the same boat man. Heads are already off. Debating between a topside removal or out the bottom.
I will 2nd his request for a top side removal "how to" if anybody knows of one. There seem to be plenty of ones going out the bottom.
Thanks.
I am at the point where I remove the heads. My brother wants me to disconnect the body and remove the motor that way. Still unsure. This is my first project. With my 4th gen. Can't decide if I want to go from the top or do what he says lol.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

When I removed my engine I had it torn down to the shortblock and still pull the engine from the bottom.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/racer-s-l...or-out-ss.html

Quick Reply: engine removal howto in a 4th gen camaro