Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1998 v6 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1998 v6 Camaro

I have a 1998 Camaro with 81k miles. It is unfortunately a v-6 but I still love the feel of any camaro, and its a beautiful car. I flew to Memphis Tennessee to buy this car and I have been driving it for over a year and the transmission has recently started to act up for no reason. I have considered selling it to buy a truck but every time I consider buying a truck or another Camaro the strong want to have my car converted to a LS1 with a 6-speed...some people say it is stupid and a waste and that I should just buy a car that came with an LS1 but I disagree. First off, I'll be 19 on the 15th of this month so insurance is a BIG concern, plus I am in college so money is an issue also. I love the options the car has already and it doesn't have t-tops which I like despite what others think, and I wouldn't want another car even though mine is not perfect it is payed off and it is like my child. I have been told by several people all over the internet and even locally that the place to go for information on an LS1 swap and the place to go to find people who can do it, and for the right price. I initially wanted to do this when I first bought the car but my research told me it would cost 6-8k and I don't want to spend near that much. I have heard the swap is almost cake-work for someone that has done it before and I am beginning to really want to do it. I do not know if I posted in the right place so please re-direct me if I need re-directing but I would appreciate any and all help I live in Missouri so if anyone has done this or would be interested in doing it for me please PM me.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Default please help

Please help me find a motor and transmission all the goodies needed and someone who can do it right without costing an arm and a leg
Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

You might want to read this thread cause it might be the clearest opinion I can give you from somebody who's done it.

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=56976

With any V8 swap you'll need at least 6-8k or more if you want to do it right unless you got connections and hookups, I check with my machinic and he told me he could do one for me for at least 3k and keep in mind this guy did my T-Top conversion for $500 including parts and labor, most people will probably charge more than that for an engine swap.

Unless your machincally inclined where you can do everything on your own I hate to say it but your gonna have to pay the price bud. Even Ebay and Craigslist sells those motors usally for around $3500 or more that doesn't include the cost of a V8 transmission and the other stuff you'll need.

My personal opinion is either you get the tranny fixed and drive that car until your done with school then afterwords you can go out and buy an LS1 car straight up or you could trade it+cash for an LS1 car either way both options still suck but thats probably the only way realistically. My 96 is no LS1 but I like it that way, it allows me to invest my money each month and in the future I will own the exotic cars I dream about. That doesn't stop me from enjoying it though, if I get around to it then i might do a turbo to it or run a spray system but thats it.

Just recently I tried selling my car for an LT1 Z28 and to be honest Id rather keep the 3.8 than trade up for an LT1. LS1's wonderful powerplants but id rather have it in another type of vehicle outside of an Fbody like a Corvette or GTM.

Consider your options, keep and modify the V6, trade for an LT1 car in the meantime or be paticent and go buy an LS1 in the future.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:44 AM

Default Agreed.

I can do a majority of the work myself but I keep hearing people have been doing entire swaps the right way here for 3k and under I figured it was crazy talk. I had my transmission looked at today by 3 different people I am a maintenance nut so I am paranoid about anything and he told me my car drives as good as a brand new car...and every other guy said it was perfect too. So my car is throwing a code for no reason but it stopped throwing the code by itself. I too don't care for the LT1 I had straight across trades lined up with two guys and turned them both down because my car being a v6 could run circles around there's so despite the throaty exhaust I had to pass. I love the LS1 and I really want to do this swap.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Just be on the hunt at local junkyards and swap meets and my recomendation is try and find a complete donor car with the motor, wiring and trans all in one that way its a matter of transplanting. Also get an LT1 K-member while your at the junkyard. I heard the stock V6 will not work.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM

I found a complete SS donor car 19k original miles for 4500? good deal?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wring09
I found a complete SS donor car 19k original miles for 4500? good deal?

Try and talk him down first, Otherwise hell yeah sounds like you hit the jackpot.

If you buy it make sure you touch base with GexZX about the swap. He did his out of an SS to his firebird.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VF1Skullangel
Just be on the hunt at local junkyards and swap meets and my recomendation is try and find a complete donor car with the motor, wiring and trans all in one that way its a matter of transplanting. Also get an LT1 K-member while your at the junkyard. I heard the stock V6 will not work.
this is the easiest and cheapest way to swap anything. i got a complete wrecked WRX donor car with a newer STi engine for the price of what a 2.0liter engine goes for. honestly, just save up for a LS1 car, unless you just want to do it for the fun of it. im all about swaps but in my case, my car never had a factory turbo option so it made sense. these cars came with factory LS1's so its not worth it unless you wanted to build a nasty drag car in which it doesnt matter as much from a starting point. IMHO of course
Old 12-06-2009, 05:07 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. This is all I can think about lately...Im not sure what I should do.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

IMO I have done a few engine replacements as well as a 6.0l swap that I'm doing in an LT1 car this spring. The main thing I'm seeing is that the manual labor is the biggest PITA. Of course you'll have to be good with wiring just in case there is a problem there too. I do know unless you change everything out of 1 car to the other, it gets a little more complex when rewiring the car under the dash so everything works. If you just buy a donor and switch EVERYTHING, It's probably worth it. Otherwise I'd just sell the V6 and buy a ls1. IMO
But if you follow through with it, Good luck.
And search the threads, you'll find the information out there.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you were still worried about insurance, before going to the trouble of swapping (which I thought I was going to do to my V6) call your insurance company and give them some examples.

My 95 Z28 is actually less than my 98 V6 Camaro.

Plus, if you swap it and don't tell them and collect the insurance on it being a "V6" car, I'm pretty sure thats fraud
Old 12-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by happysem
Sounds like you were still worried about insurance, before going to the trouble of swapping (which I thought I was going to do to my V6) call your insurance company and give them some examples.

My 95 Z28 is actually less than my 98 V6 Camaro.

Plus, if you swap it and don't tell them and collect the insurance on it being a "V6" car, I'm pretty sure thats fraud
Swap the engine into the car and don't say **** to the insurance company. Thats the best solution and way around it.

If you tell the insurance company be prepaired for issues.

Typically LT1 cars are much cheaper than later V6 cars however good luck finding one in good condition.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Teching In

find a wrecked/totaled donor car that someone wants to get rid of. or a donor car that you could swap all of your v6 stuff to and sell that. I know a guy that did that and come out a few hundred bucks on top. if you could go that route great. or fix your tranny, clean up the car and sell it then put that money to a v8 if your not too attached to the car.

I'm thinking of doing one of the two

Quick Reply: 1998 v6 Camaro