Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Console swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Console swap

Okay, need some real help! Quick!

And I'm sure this has been covered to some degree before I became a member, but here goes.

Am going to upgrade an early 4th Gen ('95 LT1) AT Console (what a P.O.S.) with a late 4th Gen AT Console. Just picked up what appears to be a really nice one ('02) off eBay for a decent price.

Here is my confusion. I have seen two versions of the console, one with the AT shifter plate behind the ashtray and one with the stick shift boot in front of the ashtray. Is this the difference? AT is behind and ST is in front? Or does it have something to do with the transmission. I caught a note in a console swap post about an "m6" needing and "m6 console" and so on. WTF is an m6?

Also any comments from anyone who has done this as to what else I might need, or need to do. I'm anticipating possibly having to reroute wiring for the conv top switch and the cigarette lighter and power port in the late Gen as this wiring probably came from a harness in the dash on the early Gen, now that there will be a "gap" of a couple inches between the two. Any tricks you have about removal of old or installation of new.

Last edited by MyOtherRide'sAVette; 12-16-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

m6 refers to manual transmission 6 speed. as for 2 versions of console there are 2 different bc of either manual or auto trans. u want the one for the auto trans (ashtray infront). as for removal its not too bad. u have to use flathead screwdrive to get staple out under auto shift **** to get **** off. bolts hold console on and just remove. i dont even think wiring is bad bc u really only have lighter (i have a 2002 z28)
Old 12-18-2009, 03:51 AM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by cure07
m6 refers to manual transmission 6 speed. as for 2 versions of console there are 2 different bc of either manual or auto trans. u want the one for the auto trans (ashtray infront). as for removal its not too bad. u have to use flathead screwdrive to get staple out under auto shift **** to get **** off. bolts hold console on and just remove. i dont even think wiring is bad bc u really only have lighter (i have a 2002 z28)
Yeah, thought about that today and figured it out for myself! Wiring doesn't bother me but I do have to extend both the lighter wiring AND the vert top switch (which BTW I am looking for) wiring from the dash forward, down, under the carpet and back to the console (I think), can't imagine mine or yours is wired from the floorboard up, although it's possible. From the factory both your console and mine are connected to the dash. With this retro fit a space of a couple inches is created between the two because radio/control bezel extends further down.

Last edited by MyOtherRide'sAVette; 12-18-2009 at 04:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Console swap