Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

what was the difference between a Z28 and an SS in the last gen F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what was the difference between a Z28 and an SS in the last gen F-body?

I was a 5.0 driver from 1991 to 2004 so missed all the intel on LS1s and F-bodies.

I recall there was an SLP option but well not much else.

Well, rather than post in an other forum what was the difference between a Trans Am and WS6 Trans Am? I did have a 1979 Trans Am and WS6 was 4wheel disc and 15x8 wheels option IIRC.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix C
I was a 5.0 driver from 1991 to 2004 so missed all the intel on LS1s and F-bodies.

I recall there was an SLP option but well not much else.

Well, rather than post in an other forum what was the difference between a Trans Am and WS6 Trans Am? I did have a 1979 Trans Am and WS6 was 4wheel disc and 15x8 wheels option IIRC.
SS got a better hood, better shocks, and larger swaybars and "fancy" wheels with wider (ish) tires. some SS's got the dual dual exhaust and some fancy SLP installed floor mats etc..

basically the same with the T/A
Old 04-18-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well Ive always wondered why in the hell are the SS's rated at 320 or 325? I know a ram air hood doesnt add 20 horses. neither does a less restrictive muffler. its still very restrictive
Old 04-18-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is rated @ 345HP and the muffler is less restrictive because the car is running 11.88 threw it. The WS-6 is a Performance package but not from SLP.The Firehawk is the SLP car and a much better upgrade.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search -- this has been covered a hundreds of times.

Try this thread out: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...ss-camaro.html
Old 04-20-2010, 05:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your post is in the media section. I searched here and the link you have to the camaro forum is dead.

The question is not solely regarding SLP unless your dead link explained the difference between the Z28 and the SS.

Folks need to respond only if they can provide useful information. But the Internet is what it is.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Your post is in the media section. I searched here and the link you have to the camaro forum is dead.

The question is not solely regarding SLP unless your dead link explained the difference between the Z28 and the SS.

Folks need to respond only if they can provide useful information. But the Internet is what it is.
Basically the SS and WS6 included:

- Upgraded Shocks
- Better front and rear sway bars
- "Ram Air" style hoods
- The Camaro SS got a new style spoiler
- Wheels in a larger size (17x9 I believe)
- Larger(ish) tires
- Less restrictive (relatively speaking) exhaust system.

Then there were other options you could add. Different exhaust systems, interior options like mats, stuff like that. There were not any motor mods or transmission mods or anything like that.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you would have taken the time to read it, you would have received the answers you were looking for.

It's not a dead link -- it's still here on the website. Just because something hasn't been posted in a thread for quite some time doesn't mean it does not contain pertinent information. Remember, you're asking about a vehicle that was last produced 8 years ago.

Quick Reply: what was the difference between a Z28 and an SS in the last gen F-body?