Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

catalytic converter issues: need a cat that is California legal

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catalytic converter issues: need a cat that is California legal

Hey guys, I just recently bought a used 2000 Camaro z28. The Serive Engine Soon light was on when I bought it but when I went to a mechanic to check it out, they said that it had the wrong cat converter which is why the SES light is on. So I've been looking for a new cat converter, which is pretty hard to find since I live in California and emissions laws are strict so many cats I find online are illegal in California. So far, I've only found two that are legal here but one is cheaper and is universal and the other is a direct fit for the Camaro but costs way more. I was wondering which one I should use and if they're anyone on the board who knows any better cat converters that are California legal. Thanks in advance!

btw, here are the cat converters I've found

http://www.streetperformance.com/par...500-46006.html

http://www.streetperformance.com/par...942-46466.html
Old 05-12-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what county do you live in? theres some counties in CA that only require smog whenever you register your car, so basically you only smog it once and youre done (unless youre gonna sell it later).
Ive lived in Imperial County for most my life, and ive never had to smog a car twice.

If not, id just look for a used fbody in any junkyard. Those should work too.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:08 AM

I live is Los Angeles, CA. My car registration was renewed by the owner two months ago so I assume it passed smog last time with the same cat converter. I should be okay for the next two years but I plan to keep this car for awhile, so hopefully I can find a good cat converter within that time. Yeah I'm thinking of going to look in a junkyard though I'd rather buy a part brand new.

thanks for the help!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

I got a set of cats off my TA im trying to sell.. PM me if your interested.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pattycakes25
I live is Los Angeles, CA. My car registration was renewed by the owner two months ago so I assume it passed smog last time with the same cat converter. I should be okay for the next two years but I plan to keep this car for awhile, so hopefully I can find a good cat converter within that time. Yeah I'm thinking of going to look in a junkyard though I'd rather buy a part brand new.

thanks for the help!
No junkyard is allowed to sell cats, its against the law. Trust me ive been down that frustrating road.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the info.
I'm not looking to buy any soon since I still have like 2 years to smog check again, plus gotta save up cash since being a college student is draining me of whatever money I had left after I bought the car. But if I decide to buy some in the near future, I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer!

Quick Reply: catalytic converter issues: need a cat that is California legal