Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Factory Alarm on 98 Z28 goes off after being armed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Factory Alarm on 98 Z28 goes off after being armed

I've got a 1998 Z28, 6 speed all stock except for the speakers the previous owner changed, and a single din radio I put in to replace the aftermarket Clarion unit he had installed.

Has the factory alarm system on it. Now what happens is I hit the lock button on my remote, alarm beeps and then about 5 seconds later the alarm goes off. To keep it locked and turn the alarm off, I just hit the lock button again the first time it honks after the 5 seconds and the car is then locked and quiet.

This isn't really a problem, at most a minor annoyance because I have to keep the remote in hand till the cars alarm goes off so I can hit lock again and put the keys away.

Is this a common problem or does anyone know what I could possibly do to fix this?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how long have you had it? When did you start experiencing this? besides an electrical issue the simplest explanation is the sensor on the alarm is turned up to high. Anything from an after market exhaust to a humid night/day can set off the alarm unexpectedly. How ever if what you described happens every time like clockwork sounds electrical.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Had the car for about 2 weeks now. Every single thing on the car is flawless and works like a dream, this is about the only defect it has. A friend told me to turn down the sensitivity like you mentioned, but since it does it every time no matter what, and the alarm doesn't go off any other time unless something happens which would set off any other normal alarm I figured it couldn't possibly be that.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never know unless you try, a 1/2 turn of the alarm sensor switch will be plenty to determine whether it's the sensor or not. You might try posting in the electrical/ wiring (something on those lines) threads if you still have the problems after lowering the sensor.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Just saw your post. I'll do that tomorrow, I'm already assuming it's for sure not the sensitivity cause that just wouldn't make any sense, but might as well try so I can rule it out for sure.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:27 AM
Launching!

Turned out it was just the sensor itself.

I was out at the junkyard today with a friend, and saw an v6 early fourth gen, took the antenna so I could make my shorty antenna, and my friend pointed out that it still had the sensor in it. I had already just learned to live with the issue, but figured it couldn't hurt to just take it and see anyways.

Ended up switching them real quick, and worked like a charm. No problems now.

Quick Reply: Factory Alarm on 98 Z28 goes off after being armed