Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

air conditioner cammed camaros

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air conditioner cammed camaros

I have a 2002 camaro with ls6 ported heads a 228 cam, I seem to have a problem with the car stalling when I barely turn it on, my tuner said that I have to wait till the idle settles which I do but after I start moving and have to change gear or to pass a speed bump or what ever it stalls. Tuner guy said it had to do with the A/C, but I've tried turning the A/C off when I start the car.

right now Im throwing Oxygen sensor codes I believe its the driver side before the cat.

is what my tuner telling me correct ??

its my first cammed car and it my daily driver.

Thanks for your thoughts....
Old 08-11-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On initial start up mine searches for idle for a few seconds. After that I have no problems.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

I would get that oxygen sensor fixed then see if its the a/c. If it's the a/c, I use to have that problem, somewhat. My car would shut off when I would forget to turn the a/c off from the time I had driven the car last and when I would back my car up to put it back in the garage. My tuner then told me that, if I wait about 20 seconds after start up, then I can turn the a/c on without any problems, which was true. I just started thinking that was normal and a sacrifice I had to make for having a cammed car, till I had my car tuned by another tuner.

Now, don't get me wrong here, the guy was/is one hell of a tuner, but had to go elsewhere cause the shop that he was at closed down. Once I got my car tuned by the other tuner, nothing had changed between hp and tq, only my start up and it shutting off, which I didnt even notice till later when I was backing my car up to the garage and forgot to turn the a/c off. Surprise, surprise the car was not shuting off anymore. So long story short, it's all in the tune.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jgarza54
I would get that oxygen sensor fixed then see if its the a/c. If it's the a/c, I use to have that problem, somewhat. My car would shut off when I would forget to turn the a/c off from the time I had driven the car last and when I would back my car up to put it back in the garage. My tuner then told me that, if I wait about 20 seconds after start up, then I can turn the a/c on without any problems, which was true. I just started thinking that was normal and a sacrifice I had to make for having a cammed car, till I had my car tuned by another tuner.

Now, don't get me wrong here, the guy was/is one hell of a tuner, but had to go elsewhere cause the shop that he was at closed down. Once I got my car tuned by the other tuner, nothing had changed between hp and tq, only my start up and it shutting off, which I didnt even notice till later when I was backing my car up to the garage and forgot to turn the a/c off. Surprise, surprise the car was not shuting off anymore. So long story short, it's all in the tune.
Thanks for your Input, the tuner is a great tuner according to everybody here on the forum, I wasn't happy the way he treats customers but I put up with it because of what everybody said about him here.

since tuning the car is expensive as hell Im going to get oxygen sensor taken care of and I'll wait it out and see if maybe some other time I can get it tuned by someone else.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

I just got my car tuned by the guys at EFI Alchemy in Jacksonville. Wrong coast, I know, but I have a big cam and they were able to do great things. Point is that it's all in the tune.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have about the same setup and it is all in the Tune.

Bill
Old 08-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Launching!

ok guys I replaced the o2 sensor and its still doing the same things, there just has to be something wrong other than tuning, this only happens when the car is turned off and then turned back on after a long time being off, and the rpm jumps from 1k to 400 back up and back down, I have to wait like 1 minute plus and even as I start moving the rpm dips doing the same, after 5 minutes of the car running it stops doing it.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

i got a 224/228 cam in mine and yea i have to feather the gas on startup for about 2-4 minutes otherwise it will stall....once it is warmed up she idles flawlessly.....it doesnt bother me at all.....i guess i got use to it and figured that is just the way a cammed car is...**** old carborator cars with cam's are even worse...

and if i run my a/c the car idles rougher...well yea, ur putting a load on the engine..why do u think GM didnt have a cam like this to begin with...

if i run my a/c for awhile the CEL comes on and it is a O2 code...if i shut the a/c off the CEL goes off after a lil while...so to me again not a big deal..just passed emission last week so now if i really want my a/c on i dont have to worry bout the CEL......but i dont care about a/c that much, always got the t-tops off anyway...

i will be looking for a new tune eventually tho cus im sure this can be fixed in a tune...but for now 421hp and over 2 years no problems at all for my East Side Performance tune
Old 08-31-2010, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Very similar problem here...I'll be getting ANOTHER tune here shortly.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did my heads and cam- stock 243s w/ 918s and EPS cam 222/226. Mine idles great with or with out a/c after start up. Also still have the bolt on tune from FROST.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Im thinking it has to be a sensor or something, because according to CMS the car is tuned.

Its probably really simple but something that im overlooking.

Im going to check all the hoses for a vacum leak, im also going to check the voltage on the throttle sensor to see if its with in range.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by emenny81
Im thinking it has to be a sensor or something, because according to CMS the car is tuned.

Its probably really simple but something that im overlooking.

Im going to check all the hoses for a vacum leak, im also going to check the voltage on the throttle sensor to see if its with in range.
I checked the TPS sensor and its under the range, .4 at idle 4.4 at wot.

I borrowed an actron scanner that can read live data of PID's but I didn't see the IAC on the list, Im going to try again a bit later to see if I can customize the information, I cleaned the Iac on thrusday but that didn't make any difference, Im a little bummed because this is even happening after I go WOP throttle for a while and then get to a stop sign or light the idle surges. at this point im thinking it could be fuel delivery.

I've read so many threads its not even funny.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: air conditioner cammed camaros