Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2001 Camaro: Annoying horn honking after locking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Camaro: Annoying horn honking after locking?

The car started doing this out of nowhere (or at least I did not purposely do anything to make it start acting this way). When you lock the doors with the key FOB it will give the normal honk to signal it is locked but then 5 seconds later it will honk twice. And it's that dragged out honking noise like the alarm is going off. I tried messing with the settings and managed to change which lights came on, whether or not it honked to signal it was locked, and every combination available but every damn time it still gave those two annoying honks.

Has anyone else experienced this before? If so...how did you fix it? I would like to keep the horn in case someone ever tries to break in but this honking thing is really getting on my nerves.
The following users liked this post:
Rawyzf (03-02-2020)
Old 10-10-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine does that too, ever since I bought it... never really looked into it but it sure is annoying. Odd that it does it considering my regular horn on the steering wheel doesn't work.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the sensor in the back of the car where the tire jack is. unplug is and place some di-electric grease in there. condensation or poor connection will cause it to do that. mine did it for hours lol. so try it.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Mj said.

When I first got my 98 Z, it was doing the same thing. Would lock the car, horn would beep, and then 5 seconds later the alarm would start going off where I would have to then hit lock again and be done with it.

Couldn't figure it out, so while out at a junkyard a week after getting the car, I noticed the alarm sensor in the back of one of the camaros in there which was a v6. Pulled out the sensor figuring it was worth a shot. Swapped it with the one in my car and alarm worked perfectly.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

How do we "change the settings"
Old 11-02-2010, 05:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
How do we "change the settings"
If by 'change the setting' you mean adjust the sensitivity, it's on the little module in the back of the car under the panel in the same area the spare tire is.

You can't miss it, it's sitting right above the wheel well. There is a little dial on it that you can turn to adjust sensitivity.

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll go take a picture of it for ya.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Right I know where that is....he said he changed what lights flash and such.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:38 AM
Launching!

Oh, that I don't know how to do. Other than getting the fogs to flash or not flash is the only change I know of.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

My 98 honks twice but its not really like the alarm its kind of like two chirps. I always thought it was neat cause no other cars around did it. Other wise i know if you go into the program mode (turn key to off position, remove remote fuse, cycle ignition 3 times or soemthing like that) and i know you can change some settings but im not sure exactly how to do it all
Old 11-27-2010, 05:17 PM

My 99 SS chirps twice,not like the horn blowing,just 2 small chirps,I like it.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dtomp1
My 99 SS chirps twice,not like the horn blowing,just 2 small chirps,I like it.
My 02 SS does thins and I want to just flash the lights and be silent, anyone know if I can make it this way?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stereotypicalv8guy
The car started doing this out of nowhere (or at least I did not purposely do anything to make it start acting this way). When you lock the doors with the key FOB it will give the normal honk to signal it is locked but then 5 seconds later it will honk twice. And it's that dragged out honking noise like the alarm is going off. I tried messing with the settings and managed to change which lights came on, whether or not it honked to signal it was locked, and every combination available but every damn time it still gave those two annoying honks.

Has anyone else experienced this before? If so...how did you fix it? I would like to keep the horn in case someone ever tries to break in but this honking thing is really getting on my nerves.

funny my Camaro does this too... but now it goes off all the time after I lock it. I think it's a faulty door sensor or some ****. I just manually lock my car now...
Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

here is one for you.. my keyfob does not work. so when i unlock the doors with the keys i have about 7 seconds to get in put the keys in the ignition and start it or the alarm goes off. is there any way for me to stop this madness?
Old 05-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Default Replace the key fob

Originally Posted by Zombiesoldier
here is one for you.. my keyfob does not work. so when i unlock the doors with the keys i have about 7 seconds to get in put the keys in the ignition and start it or the alarm goes off. is there any way for me to stop this madness?
Yes, get a new key fob and go into program mode so the system "learns" the new remote and "forgets" the old one. Involves pulling the Radio fuse, turning the ignition switch from Off to On three times, leaving it On after the third transition. The doors will lock and unlock to signal you're in programming mode. Then you press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons. The system will unlock the doors and hatch. Release the buttons. Reinstall the Radio fuse and you're all set.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Tried this on my 01 trans am and still honks when I open the door. Tried reprogramming it the on and off 3 times I could hear it resetting but the stupid horn keeps going off when I reopen the drivers door..driving me crazy ..HELP
Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Mine does the same..
Old 03-16-2016, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

My car just started honking the horn two full times as if the alarm was triggered about 3 seconds following the two short beeps after the alarm is set.

Played with the setting on the sensor and the checked the plug and the hatch to not avail.

I also checked and I am in the correct alarm mode setting for what I desire.

Strangely my replacement remote I bought no longer works either.

The car has sat for about two weeks not being driven and I just had a guy in the hatch because he is tinting it.

Here is the twist….It started by double honking at 5 second intervals all of the sudden and only stopped double honking once I set the alarm with the fob. Then it went into the mode described above.

Any ideas?

New Update…
the alarm went off for no reason.
I reprogrammed both remotes and they both work.
I turned adjustment **** a tad counter clockwise.
I locked the car and horn only chirped once instead of twice.
Sitting and waiting to see what happens.

Last edited by 30thanniv; 03-16-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Teching In

My car will chirp once when locking
Twice when unlocking.

I know when I had my Viper alarm (previous car) when there were errors/bad sensors/open items the alarm would add extra chirps notifying of the error. The number of chirps was dependent on the zone that had the error. You mentioned someone was in the trunk, did one of the switches get unplugged or cut?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Pass door was not closed properly reason for single chirp alarm set.

Sensor had gotten wet by tint guy. Working fine now
Old 03-17-2016, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Bad news.
Full double horn honk after two short beeps when alarm is set has returned. I disconnected the sensor and the problem has stopped.

What exactly is that sensor for? Obviously it needs replacing due to getting wet

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro: Annoying horn honking after locking?