Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

96' 3.8L Misfire Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96' 3.8L Misfire Help?

Hey guys so one of my girl friends has a 1996 Camaro with the V6. It was throwing a code for a misfire on cylinder 4 a couple weeks ago. I went ahead and changed the plugs/wires for her and the code went away. Car ran perfectly normal. I drove it for a while and started to smell gas. I opened the hood and noticed that the drivers side bank of cylinders were smoking like it was dumping gas. (When I took the plugs out of the car originally the drivers side plugs were filled with gas) So this led me to thinking it could be the EGR Valve's solenoid. I tapped on it with a wrench and I heard the solenoid pop. So it wasn't actually working I dont think. Engine has been running good since than until today. She calls me says its acting the same way. She brings it over and says its misfiring. I do the same thing with the EGR Valve but no luck this time. Then my next guess was the coil pack for cylinder 4. I got out the DVOM and checked the resistance on it. I believe I did it right by unconnecting it and getting a reading off the green and black wires. I came up to 99.5 Kilo Ohms. That seemed like way to much and found on All Data that it should be around .3-.5 ohms. I figured that was the problem but she had to go to work so she drove it to work. Just calls me back and says the Serve Engine Soon light isn't flashing anymore but its still on. Car is running normal though. Does anyone have any idea?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to scan the car and find out what type of DTC's it's setting. I don't understand what you mean by "I opened the hood and noticed that the drivers side bank of cylinders were smoking like it was dumping gas" because that sounds like a major issue if it's smoking under the hood. Start by swapping the suspected coil and see if the problem goes to another cylinder. On the other hand, considering you are having a fuel smell you might want to check if an injector is leaking or flowing too much on cylinder 4. I'd try swapping that also and see if it transfers to another cylinder.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever the DTC is I don't remember the numbers its just giving me a misfire on cylinder number 4. And what I mean is on the drivers side the exhaust manifold has smoke coming off of it and the passenger side doesn't. Do you think that the injector could be more of an intermittent problem?

Quick Reply: 96' 3.8L Misfire Help?