Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

classic car insurance tips

Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default classic car insurance tips

so the AAA insurance guy is coming tomorrrow to take pics of my camaro for the classic car insurance now that i qualify, any tips or things i should do b4 he gets here? thanks for the help
Old 11-14-2011, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What constitutes as a classic car to most Insurance agencies? What all is covered? Miles per year? Etc..
Old 11-14-2011, 06:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lemons12
What constitutes as a classic car to most Insurance agencies? What all is covered? Miles per year? Etc..
Lemons, I have mine thru Grundy and its about half the $ of regular insurance, but to kinda answer your question:
  • car has to be garaged
  • car cant be driven to work
  • must have other main car for work
  • car to be used strictly for car related type functions, no going to home depot, grocery, etc in so many words...and NO drag racing!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Lemons, I have mine thru Grundy and its about half the $ of regular insurance, but to kinda answer your question:
[*]car to be used strictly for car related type functions, no going to home depot, grocery, etc in so many words...and NO drag racing!
Oh man, screw that.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

• car has to be garaged
  • car to be used strictly for car related type functions, no going to home depot, grocery, etc in so many words...and NO drag racing!
How do they check to see if its driven to work and the grocery store? It costs me $2.50 a day to insure my car, and I don't drive it much. But when it's nice out I do drive it work.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Launching!

• car has to be garaged
Or racing of any kind (autox, rally, time trials etc. HPDE's are kind of a gray area). Basically any event where there is a timer running, they see as racing. Some companies won't insure a car with roll bar. So do homework before committing.

Some companies state that the "main" car be less than 5 years old.

Originally Posted by z-camaro
How do they check to see if its driven to work and the grocery store? It costs me $2.50 a day to insure my car, and I don't drive it much. But when it's nice out I do drive it work.
They can't really, but if something happened to the car in that situation you could/would be denied coverage. That's a scary deal.

Here's the info I put together from a couple years ago when I was trying to sort through all of this for my 1999 Firechicken. I live in NJ, so the MVC (motor vehicle commision) stuff varies state to state

First the MVC side of things.

The car needs to be less than 25 years old and you must provide proof that the car was produced in limited numbers or that there are limited numbers remaining. Proving limited production is tough unless you have an SLP car that is numbered or something like that. I was able to source information on various websites which provided me with the numbers I needed. My car, while not rare in a collectible sense, is rare from the production numbers standpoint if you look at RPO codes. Not many hardtop, formula, 6 speed cars are out there. Ironically, there are far more T-top, WS6, 6-speed Trans-AMs, which I thought was interesting. Low option stripper cars aren't the hot ticket, I guess. I didn't know if the MVC would accept website references for production numbers (pretty easy to fake that kinda stuff) so I then email Pontiac Motor Division and after several emails and phone calls got them to give me production numbers based on my VIN and further substantiate that with a written letter. (I might have that letter dipped in gold, cause it was PITA to get.) I think this was key in obtaining the status.

You must secure collector insurance BEFORE you apply with the MVC. The MVC wants a copy of the declaration page/insurance cards included with their application.

The car must meet all safety/emission standards for the model year it was produced. If you currently pass a NJ state inspection, you are good. You are required to maintain the vehicle to these standards (self inspection).

The application is online http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehic...cle_Status.pdf Print it out and fill out everything. Be sure to include recent color photos, 1 of each side of the car. Interior and Engine shots are not required. You will be limited to 3000 miles per year, or 6000 bi-annually. The speedo will be checked to ensure it is functioning properly.

I STRONGLY recommend you drop the application off in person at the MVC building in Trenton, located on East State Street. By doing so you afford yourself the opportunity to meet with the man in charge of the department and he may give you a quick review of the application to see if all the paperwork is filled out correctly and supporting documents are correct. I dropped off my application last Friday (1/29) and got my confirmation letter in the mail today (2/5), this is not typical I am sure and I think by dropping it off in person and having a 5 minute conversation helped my cause tremendously. He pointed out that the insurance must be in place prior to applying, which is not entirely clear when reading the MVC application or website. Once the application is reviewed and the determination is made all the materials will be returned to you. This includes pictures, letters from clubs etc. I also included with my application a cover letter stating my position and why I felt the car was deserving of the collector status. This is not required. My reason for doing this was if I mailed it in I wouldn't get to argue my point, so this letter was my argument to help my case. I provided contact information so if there was something that needed clarification I could be contacted immediately, versus snail mail back and forth.

Now onto the insurance side of things.

I first checked with my current insurance company NJM (which is the best IMO in the state), and they offered a policy, but wanted pics, comps, and I'm sure the autox/racing and the rollbar would have been deal killers. So I started going online to all the big name players Haggerty, Grundy, Barrett-Jackson......Keep in mind I am 37 with a clean record and a home owner with a locked garage so from that perspective I am good to go.

Here is what I discovered in talking to a few of the big name players in the Collector/Classic Insurance industry:

Grundy asks is the car used for racing or rally events. I answered YES (not wanting lie).....and was promptly denied an application. They say they do not offer insurance for any car that is used in a timed or on track event. They also don't like to see roll bars, which the car has. I didn't like the tone this company was putting forth.

Haggerty wanted the car to be at least 10 years old to qualify as what they call a "modern" classic. They did not have a problem with the car being raced (which was promising), but they require that the daily driver vehicle be less than 5 years old when insuring a "modern" classic. Unfortunately my 1997 Dodge Ram (Cummins Powered) doesn't meet that requirement. I tried to talk my way around it, but to no avail. Very nice people to talk to, I just didn't meet the criteria.

Barrett-Jackson didn't ask about racing at all (so I didn't volunteer) and told me they would get back to me in a couple days with a quote. Well a couple days later they got back and said "through various internet sources" it has been determined that the car is currently or has in the past been raced and therefore we cannot offer you a policy at this time. This kind of caught me off guard a little bit. I am sure my name is posted on lots of autox results lists and that is where they sourced it from. Still kinda shocked me. I am an SCCA member, and autox is not W2W and generally below 60-65mph....oh well.

Heacock Classic didn't ask about racing, but I brought it up on purpose. They said no problem. I said the car has a roll bar. They said no problem. I asked both questions a second time just to be sure and no problem. They claim to understand that performance cars are meant to be occassionally driven hard in a controlled atmosphere. They also said that there is no coverage in effect while I am at a racing event as a registered participant and the vehicle is moving under its own power. So if I am motoring through the pits and get T-boned, too bad. If I am pushing the car or towing the car through the pits and get T-boned, they cut the check. So that sounded good enough for me, as I never expected coverage while participating in an autox or at the track. Of course while on public roads I have full coverage. So for $250 a year with full coverage and a mileage limit of 3000 per year (to agree with the MVC) and a $10k agreed upon value I am good to go. No blue blook, no depreciation every year. Some goes horrifically bad, they cut a check for $10K. I could have gone higher, but then they wanted comps, appraisals etc. and truthfully I didn't feel it was worth the effort. I did include on my application for insurance a separate sheet with every modification to the car so there can be no surprises if I had to put in a claim. They are fully aware of all the mods and how the car is used. I sleep much easier at night knowing this.

Nothing earth shattering, but just tidbits of info for those that might be in a similar situation. Also, remember that the internet and google can be a double edged sword. Careful what you post on youtube, what shows up on results lists if you are campaigning a street driven car in a race series or event. Lots of information is out there and apparently everyone is watching.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do they check odometers?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

I have Grundy on my 2002 WS6. I have had it now going on 3 years. Its 250.00 a year for full coverage..

Car needs to be garaged

I can only drive it 2 and from car related events such as car shows, dyno days, car meets, etc

There is no mile limit.

You have to be at least 25 yrs old to get the insurance and you are the only one who can drive the car besides your mechanic..

they gave me an option for mods and for drag racing.

I dont have collector plates. I have regular VA plates with the collector car insurance.

They require me to take pictures of my car every year when I renew with them and email them to the agent.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR
do they check odometers?
Pictures of the odometer were required and at inspection every two years the mileage is recorded, so I am sure they can tap into the MVC database (similar to carfax)
Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

1QWIKBIRD thanks for that info. I will have to call around and see what they have to say. My problem is the car is titled in my name, but insured under my dad's name (cheaper and I can still drive it). So I'm not sure how that would play into things, also the no driving to work would be a problem.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=99'CajunFirehawk157;15619969]Lemons, I have mine thru Grundy and its about half the $ of regular insurance, but to kinda answer your question:
  • car has to be garaged
[/QUOTE

My classic car insurance through Nationwide is VERY reasonably priced for a hefty amount on my 69' Camaro and I can drive my car anywhere I want. I would never go through Grundy or Hagerty-too many restrictions. To each their own.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

yes they check miles, they took a pic of my odometer and every year they mail me a form to send how many miles my car has

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: classic car insurance tips