Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

sleeper 4wd camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sleeper 4wd camaro

okay guys, i dreamed up a very unique dream. please, before commenting saying, "camaro's on a huge lift looks retarded." please read my whole thoughts first. I was thinking of taking a 3rd gen camaro that my cousin has like 10 of, and forming a space in the floor pan of the rear seat for a transfer case with a tunnel to the front for a front axle and suspension like off like an s-10 (also my cousin has a few of). all of this looking like a stock 89 camaro or sumthing. things i thought i'd run into is having room for the axle and actually gettin the suspension to work on the front, i'd prolly need to fab up some sort of k member huh? anyway, guys, gimme some thoughts of this.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure it's all that possible. to keep it stock height. The front differential usually sits between the center of the oil pan and harmonic balancer... not enough room under a 3rd gen.

I think you would be better off getting a SCSB S10 frame (with IFS), cut the unibody rails out of the Camaro and gut everything (k member, suspension, etc).
At this point you have two options:
-Notch the floor out where the s10 frame rails would meet the body and sit the body down so the rails stick up through the floor. Ultimately you can control ride height this way and the only limiting factor is wheel well clearance.
Your other option is probably to shave the frame of the S10 down (sort of like cutting it in half horizontally)

Or do a combination of the above. You would probably have to redesign the trans tunnel afterwards and fab up body mounting points but that's about it. I'm sure it can be made to look pretty descent if you have the fabricating skills.

Even cooler would be one of the Typhoon/Syclone AWD transfer cases.

On another note your hood to motor clearance would change drastically as well.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

awd cars seem like way more trouble that they are worth..... would be a ton of work
Old 11-26-2011, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

i think it would be cool having a 4wd camaro though. I live in WV on a gravel road up a hollow where it is ALWAYS slick when it snows, and my driveway is like always mud, so to have a muscle car that could have enough traction to make it all year round would be pretty friggin sweet. i was also thinkin of making a mid engine camaro with the gas tank up front, that way i'd have plenty of room to spare for the front axle, and to have it like a porsche, with the engine showing in the back, i think that'd be friggin sweet. hopefully if i get the chance, i'll get these fabs down and show you guys some cool and unique rides. tryin to get my paws on a 1970 super bee now
Old 11-26-2011, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

but a mid engine would be wwaaaaaaay too much for me now, but just for laughs, lets hear how you could do that, guys, school me on how a mid engine rear wheel drive works, lets not make it a 4wd, just a rwd first, i think that would be the easiest thing for me to learn from with a old camaro
Old 11-28-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

to make it look "right" would take a lot of money, and a lot of quality custom fabrication on either set up. we are talking the kind of money that you could just go down and buy a new camaro/corvette. it's fun to have something different, but there are better/less expensive ways to do it.

just modify the s10 with an ls1 and you're set.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firebirddude98
okay guys, i dreamed up a very unique dream. please, before commenting saying, "camaro's on a huge lift looks retarded." please read my whole thoughts first. I was thinking of taking a 3rd gen camaro that my cousin has like 10 of, and forming a space in the floor pan of the rear seat for a transfer case with a tunnel to the front for a front axle and suspension like off like an s-10 (also my cousin has a few of). all of this looking like a stock 89 camaro or sumthing. things i thought i'd run into is having room for the axle and actually gettin the suspension to work on the front, i'd prolly need to fab up some sort of k member huh? anyway, guys, gimme some thoughts of this.

i think it would be cool having a 4wd camaro though. I live in WV on a gravel road up a hollow where it is ALWAYS slick when it snows, and my driveway is like always mud, so to have a muscle car that could have enough traction to make it all year round would be pretty friggin sweet. i was also thinkin of making a mid engine camaro with the gas tank up front, that way i'd have plenty of room to spare for the front axle, and to have it like a porsche, with the engine showing in the back, i think that'd be friggin sweet. hopefully if i get the chance, i'll get these fabs down and show you guys some cool and unique rides. tryin to get my paws on a 1970 super bee now
I'm currently working on a mid-engined, AWD 4th gen camaro. Structure wise, a 3rd gen is almost identical. Feel free to use any of the ideas I have posted on your build. The link to the build thread is in my sig, so check it out.

Their will be a lot of fab worked involved to modify your unibody, so I hope that you or a buddy have some skill with sheet metal and welding. I also hope you have a garage to basicly take over, because it's gonna take quite some time to build. Also the more work you do yourself, the less $$$ you'll be out of pocket on.

If you can do all the work yourself and you can get all good cores that don't need rebuilt, still plan on this setting you back at least $10,000.00. Your 3rd gen won't even be worth that much when your done (just like my 4th won't be worth the projected $20.000.00 I plan to spend) so bear that in mind before you start.

I'm basicly doing a sy/ty AWD system mounted backwards, but a front engine set-up from a monte SS would work well too. Just mount your LS4 the long way, and run your CV shafts to front and rear diffs instead of spindles.

I hope you decide to go ahead and go AWD. PM me if you need any help
Old 05-04-2016, 07:54 PM

Default awd third gen

I have put some thought into this and plan on taking a 91 z28 and putting in the 6.0 and drive train from a Cadillac Escalade to make it an AWD. Going to have to remove the wheel wells and fabricate a suspension in from there. Maybe tube framing???
Old 05-06-2016, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

build a rock crawler with 3rd gen shell sitting on it.

Quick Reply: sleeper 4wd camaro