Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

My New 02 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New 02 Camaro SS

Recently purchased this rare 2002 Camaro SS M6 for 12k and 55k on the odometer. Car is extremely clean for what I paid for it, only thing wrong with car Is the latch on the trunk doesn't unlock very well. Car had some common bolt ons and a very mild comp cam. Slp lid/bellow/ported tb/LT's/ory into flowmaster exhaust/comp 212/218 cam made 400hp on a dynocomp Dyno. Most people say that's high for those mods but that's what the Dyno read on SAE setting. Took it to the track on that set up best time was 12.9@110 mph 2.2 60ft time. Car has street bf g's on it and doesn't do well for drag racing(next mod will be tires lol). Since the purchase in Nov I swapped the flows to TSP true duals and their custom 232/239 cam. With a good set of dr's I should see a very low 12 if I can get her down the track. Let me know what you guys think! Trying to figure out how to post pics, as soon as I do I'll upload them

Last edited by 02SSFregolle; 02-09-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks gorgeous dude good deal too my brother just bought a 02 ss a4 hardtop car for 10k with 50k miles
Old 02-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slowwssix
Looks gorgeous dude good deal too my brother just bought a 02 ss a4 hardtop car for 10k with 50k miles
That sounds like a very good deal as well. During my purchase it seemed like the market was selling these cars for around 15k and upwards of 25k. Depending on the condition of his car he did well. I wanted a t-top car and had to be m6 so I'm happy
Old 02-10-2015, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=02SSFregolle;18659568]Recently purchased this rare 2002 Camaro SS M6 for 12k and 55k on the odometer. Car is extremely clean for what I paid for it, only thing wrong with car Is the latch on the trunk doesn't unlock very well. Car had some common bolt ons and a very mild comp cam. Slp lid/bellow/ported tb/LT's/ory into flowmaster exhaust/comp 212/218 cam made 400hp on a dynocomp Dyno. Most people say that's high for those mods but that's what the Dyno read on SAE setting. Took it to the track on that set up best time was 12.9@110 mph 2.2 60ft time. Car has street bf g's on it and doesn't do well for drag racing(next mod will be tires lol). Since the purchase in Nov I swapped the flows to TSP true duals and their custom 232/239 cam. With a good set of dr's I should see a very low 12 if I can get her down the track. Let me know what you guys think! Trying to figure out how to post pics, as soon as I do I'll upload them

Congrats that's a real clean one! Don't forget that 7.5 10 bolt back there when you put sticky tires on it...
Old 02-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

I had a 90' Iroc Z prior to this one and it had a zz4 crate motor that made about 450 to the wheels. I was running Mickey Thompson et streets on the oem 10 bolt and she did ok. I know they aren't very strong but hopefully I'll be good with the power im making now. I def won't run slicks but some nitto's should be a good median. Thanks for the compliment and the advice!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Beautiful car! Now lower it!!!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
Beautiful car! Now lower it!!!
Thanks! That's a soft spot for me...I've seen some of these cars lowered and they ended up looking like imports. I like the agressive muscle car look where the nose is down and the back is up. Not too much but a nice stance will make her sit pretty
Old 02-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Man you got a great deal. I paid 13k for my 02 SS A4 last year with twice the miles, bad paint and in need of new seat leather and carpet. Mechanically it's in good shape but has needed a decent amount of TLC. Starter, Alternator, Battery, and Tires. Still needs brake rotors, pads, and new ecbm. I got taken lol. Thats ok I love it anyways.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02_SS_SOM
Man you got a great deal. I paid 13k for my 02 SS A4 last year with twice the miles, bad paint and in need of new seat leather and carpet. Mechanically it's in good shape but has needed a decent amount of TLC. Starter, Alternator, Battery, and Tires. Still needs brake rotors, pads, and new ecbm. I got taken lol. Thats ok I love it anyways.
I searched for awhile before I decided to purchase this one. Man some people were asking some crazy prices for these cars. On the other hand some guy wanted 9k for a 01 with a low model vortech supercharger on it. Car had like 80k for miles, guy didn't know what he had! Guess it all comes down to timing, the guy I bought it from was going through a divorce so unfortunately his loss was my gain.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02SSFregolle
only thing wrong with car Is the latch on the trunk doesn't unlock very well.
This is completely normal. You can add a 2.5 inch (or so) spring from home depot to the latch to (mostly) fix. Do a search for it on google you can find a picture. But you just attach another spring in the same holes the current one is in. you'll have 2 springs.

I bought my 2002 SS in perfect condition 10 years ago with 11k on it and it had the same issue. (it now has 18k on it)

annoying -- trunk button, trunk button, pull, trunk button, trunk button open. Now, with the added spring it opens on try one most of the time..

nice ride!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ninety6
This is completely normal. You can add a 2.5 inch (or so) spring from home depot to the latch to (mostly) fix. Do a search for it on google you can find a picture. But you just attach another spring in the same holes the current one is in. you'll have 2 springs.

I bought my 2002 SS in perfect condition 10 years ago with 11k on it and it had the same issue. (it now has 18k on it)

annoying -- trunk button, trunk button, pull, trunk button, trunk button open. Now, with the added spring it opens on try one most of the time..

nice ride!
Thanks for the tip! Yep exactly what I have to do, unless I stand next to the truck and unlock it with the keys it's better then making a few trips from interior to trunk. Nonetheless still annoying! Where is your car located? I'm impressed you kept the miles off of it, I try but any nice day I wanna pull it out of the garage
Old 02-18-2015, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

gorgeous car. Like someone said with some sticky tires and a aggressive launch, you could possibly break your rear. With your mods you should do better than a 12.9 anyway even with street tires. My car with just bolt-ons and street tires did 12.9@111 2.0 60' and i could do better. Your 60' shows you need to work on your launch. Get that down to a 1.9 on street tires and your in mid to low 12s. I guarantee your trap speed will improve as well.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Real nice car
Old 02-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01 CamaroSS SLP
gorgeous car. Like someone said with some sticky tires and a aggressive launch, you could possibly break your rear. With your mods you should do better than a 12.9 anyway even with street tires. My car with just bolt-ons and street tires did 12.9@111 2.0 60' and i could do better. Your 60' shows you need to work on your launch. Get that down to a 1.9 on street tires and your in mid to low 12s. I guarantee your trap speed will improve as well.
I think it has too much power for the high mileage rock tires on it. I Tried launching it every which way and the best pass it had was just babying it out of the hole. I also tried feathering 1st and didn't spin at all then hit 2nd and it would literally get sideways on the track. Right there shows you the track sucked or the tires suck. Either way be it my fault/tires or track it def needs some better rubber.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joeformula
Real nice car
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02SSFregolle
Thanks for the tip! Yep exactly what I have to do, unless I stand next to the truck and unlock it with the keys it's better then making a few trips from interior to trunk. Nonetheless still annoying! Where is your car located? I'm impressed you kept the miles off of it, I try but any nice day I wanna pull it out of the garage

I'm in Ohio. I had a 96 camaro v6 from 99-2006 or 7. I bought the 02 SS in 2004 with the intention of driving it whenever it wasn't raining, and not in the winter. Turns out, it ended up sitting most of the time because i was worried it might rain, i might have to park it somewhere i didn't like, etc. So it became a garage queen real quick. Now i just drive it for fun, or for date night with the wifey, or when it was nice out and i wanted some t-top action. I never plan to have a "garage queen" again, but this one is what it is, and it would be a shame to destroy it now by driving it all the time. So its my collector's toy....

I bought the 2002 Convertible last summer as my new daily driver... figured with a new job/longer commute I'd get something relatively cheap (picked this up for 7k with 79,000 miles on it) and drive it till it dies. We'll see if i get the itch again before it dies..
Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ninety6
I'm in Ohio. I had a 96 camaro v6 from 99-2006 or 7. I bought the 02 SS in 2004 with the intention of driving it whenever it wasn't raining, and not in the winter. Turns out, it ended up sitting most of the time because i was worried it might rain, i might have to park it somewhere i didn't like, etc. So it became a garage queen real quick. Now i just drive it for fun, or for date night with the wifey, or when it was nice out and i wanted some t-top action. I never plan to have a "garage queen" again, but this one is what it is, and it would be a shame to destroy it now by driving it all the time. So its my collector's toy....

I bought the 2002 Convertible last summer as my new daily driver... figured with a new job/longer commute I'd get something relatively cheap (picked this up for 7k with 79,000 miles on it) and drive it till it dies. We'll see if i get the itch again before it dies..
Right there with ya on the garage Queen. I have a diesel truck that really isn't easy to drive and park so I wanted an ls1 m6 to drive to work and such. My price range was maxed at 12 so when I found this one so clean and only 55k miles I didn't want to drive it everyday. I never thought I would end up with an 02 SS in such good condition for the price I paid. She's sits in the garage until like you said it's nice out, at least years from now it will still look and drive brand new

Quick Reply: My New 02 Camaro SS